Ich in my mixed reef

_aka_olive_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions for treating ich in my mixed reef tank?

My tomini tang appears to have a good bit of white spots on his body.
My clown has been acting really weird, breathing heavy, frayed fins. (I did a paragard dip today)
My yellow wrasse is flashing against the Rocks.
The mandarin I just added a few days ago has a few white spots too now

I think I would like to treat the whole tank. Is there a tried and true reef safe option? I have torches, frogspawn, hammer, mushrooms, zoas, encrusting corals, montis, chalice, Duncan, candy cane coral, toadstool.

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no reef safe method. U need to take fish out and treat meanwhile tank should stay fallow for 76 days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

My clown has been acting really weird, breathing heavy, frayed fins. (I did a paragard dip today)

I think I would like to treat the whole tank. Is there a tried and true reef safe option? I have torches, frogspawn, hammer, mushrooms, zoas, encrusting corals, montis, chalice, Duncan, candy cane coral, toadstool.
Especially with coral in the tank, you will have to treat in a separate quarantine setting. The bad news is that the mandarin in yet a separate tank as it is not tolerant of the required copper treatment and also needs a constant supply of pods while in quarantine. The mandarin should be safe with General cure and the remaining fish with coppersafe or copperPower at 2.0-2.25 abd wrasse will need a deep bowl with sand for retreat.
Paraguard is a very weak form of treatment and rarely works.
Easiest method to catch these fish may be fish trap. A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
As for the coral, they can remain in display safely and tank will have to be fishless (fallow) for 45-60 days. 76 days is an old rule and is now 6-8 weeks based on life cycles of parasites.

Please post pics under white lighting to verify what you have as described

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There really are not any truly effective reef safe treatments for moderate to severe ich, they really only work in very mild cases.

Can you post pictures/videos of the fish? The symptoms you are describing don't all match up to ich, there may be something else going on, or you may have a mixed infection.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back