OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two ten gallon tanks I can use- just need filtration and heater. Should I use these? Or I have someone offering a 30 breeder with light, heater, and filter for $55. Higher water volume is always better I know, but I’m also buying water since I don’t have an RODI filter.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually really like them. But I can understand where you’re coming from. Keeping up on the copper levels with the rock just seems pretty difficult, and then I can’t use that rock every again.
Actually - with effort - and testing - you can use the rock again. The cost of measuring, time, etc - probably makes buying new rock a more economical proposition - again JMO

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two ten gallon tanks I can use- just need filtration and heater. Should I use these? Or I have someone offering a 30 breeder with light, heater, and filter for $55. Higher water volume is always better I know, but I’m also buying water since I don’t have an RODI filter.
I would treat them all in the same tank if you can - just to keep the need for testing, etc - minimal - and your workload

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, That wouldn’t be an issue. I will he running that tank fishless as well since I used tools between tanks. I can throw some food in for them every once in a while.
Buy all the reagents. I've been using cupremine and I have to test more frequently with it but
Actually - with effort - and testing - you can use the rock again. The cost of measuring, time, etc - probably makes buying new rock a more economical proposition - again JMO
Yea I have no plans to reuse the rock it was just in my sump to help Jumpstart any qt. Didn't know you could reuse it tbh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat them all in the same tank if you can - just to keep the need for testing, etc - minimal - and your workload
As someone with 3 qt systems going right now I agree with this. I've spent the last 24hrs testing 3 different tanks and trying to get copper levels matching with the water change bucket. I go through reagents like crazy. I'd advise against multiple qt tanks too much work.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I have no plans to reuse the rock it was just in my sump to help Jumpstart any qt. Didn't know you could reuse it tbh
You can re-use it - after a metal absorber, multiple rinses, etc etc etc. I was only commenting that its not impossible to re-use it - but likely costly

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with 3 qt systems going right now I agree with this. I've spent the last 24hrs testing 3 different tanks and trying to get copper levels matching with the water change bucket. I go through reagents like crazy. I'd advise against multiple qt tanks too much work.
You got it. One it is

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all the reagents. I've been using cupremine and I have to test more frequently with it but

Buy all reagents? This is what I ordered-
Hanna Check and 25 Reagent pack.
is this all I need, or do I need more??

Attachments

• 059F3858-BD31-4152-A5FA-175D0D6BA753.png
    059F3858-BD31-4152-A5FA-175D0D6BA753.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 33

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes to 76 days at “normal” operating temps but you can do 45 days if you raise the temp. (I don’t increase the temp when I fallow) I just do the time.

The dragonet is a bit of a gamble, put him in QT (how to we feed), leave in DT, may fall victim to the parasite. I don’t find the dragnet family to be very ick prone, they excrete a mucus at night that likely protects from ick attaching itself.

Worst case scenario is loss of fish, and restarting fallow day count.

Me, I would take the risk and keep him in, buts your fish.

Ghost feed during fallow, but very super tiny amount.

Very little bacteria in water, you can transfer any mature media you want, but after treatment, it’s trash.

With no media, have new temp matched saltwater available and change some either daily or twice daily while watching ammonia levels.

Feed them as much as they take, but, vacum up the missed food and stuff on the bottom of the QT.

There is no data on the effect of UV versus fallow time, it would be a complete guess. Nit
Research, this has changed. Industry recommendation has changed, Jay has changed it, bruce at Humblefish has changed it- NO LONGER 76 days. Look at the life cycle of irritants and you will see its noted shorter than previously thought to be.
While longer offers benefits, it is unnecessary.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can’t get Copper Power anywhere around me unfortunately. No Hanna checker either. Is one required? I can order if need be. But I also can’t use that much money. College student.
I have an air pump, can do a sponge filter if that would work instead of HOB?
And mandarin will be fine for food. I already have him trained on pellets.
Coppersafe also acceptable

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Research, this has changed. Industry recommendation has changed, Jay has changed it, bruce at Humblefish has changed it- NO LONGER 76 days. Look at the life cycle of irritants and you will see its noted shorter than previously thought to be.
I was under the impression - that - the 'research' from the original burgess paper was always held more 'highly' than deserved. BUT - I am also aware that (my impression) - if you're going to use a 45 day time period - you need to increase your temperature in the fallow tank - which many people may not want to do. Additionally - Humblefish - on this site - has presented information that there is evidence that cryptocaryon can survive much longer than 76 days in low oxygen conditions. My opinion (only opinion) - you use a risk analysis - and decide what you want to do. @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine by me XD
What’s a good fishless time then?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was under the impression - that - the 'research' from the original burgess paper was always held more 'highly' than deserved. BUT - I am also aware that (my impression) - if you're going to use a 45 day time period - you need to increase your temperature in the fallow tank - which many people may not want to do. Additionally - Humblefish - on this site - has presented information that there is evidence that cryptocaryon can survive much longer than 76 days in low oxygen conditions. My opinion (only opinion) - you use a risk analysis - and decide what you want to do. @Jay Hemdal
Humblefish 76 day recommendation was in April 2015 and he updated it in 2021 to the 45 days. 80.5 deg true speeds up the life cycle of ich but it also triggers decreased available oxygen in the water producing a greater chance of a bacterial infection occurring when quarantining in warmer water temps.
Bob Fenner on WWM, often only recommended 30 days fallow for most diseases/parasites. The 76 days is to be fairly sure. But, as @Lasse Has pointed out, there are genetic differences and multiple known strains, so at the end of the day, it's still not 100%

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fine by me XD
What’s a good fishless time then?
With recommended 45-60 days with many doing the 60 days, cant say anyone has come back and said it didnt work. Sixty days is playing it safe.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lieu of copper, go with copper power for full 30 days at level 2.25-2.5 and monitor this level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna- No api brand.
Add aeration via airstone and monitor ammonia levels again with reliable test kit. Feeding sparingly will keep ammonia down.
I MUST MENTION THAT YOU WILL WANT MANDARIN EATING FROZEN BABY BRINE OR ROTIFIERS BEFORE TREATING WITH COPPER AS THEIR DESIRED FOOD (COPEPODS) WILL NOT SURVIVE IN COPPER

Suprisingly, some copepods can survive copper at theraputic levels

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising temp may stress out sensitive acros, likely won’t be happy at the least.

If you don’t have these, your Ok to raise, just keep in mind that every time we change something, this adds stress to others.

It’s your choice, 45,60.76, the risk of it returning goes down the longer your fallow.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising temp may stress out sensitive acros, likely won’t be happy at the least.

If you don’t have these, your Ok to raise, just keep in mind that every time we change something, this adds stress to others.

It’s your choice, 45,60.76, the risk of it returning goes down the longer your fallow.
Yeah. I hate the idea of doing this now, but I’m sure the closer I get to the end, the more willing I will be to put in the extra days fallow.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have everything I need to get the tank up and running, including a bunch of PVC for hides.
I will get it set up tonight (have to sneak it in at night, we’re only allowed 10 gallon tanks XD) and do an update post then.
Once I do start adding Coppersafe though, which I will do over the course of a couple days, what is the range of Copper I should shoot for? And how long do I need to keep it at this level? I’ve see varrying answers, some say 2, some say 4 weeks.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To op, I'm doing 45 days and to most that is more than acceptable. Whenever you add something to dt there is always risk of something. Unless we want to hold our fish friends in qt their whole life there will be that small chance of parasites returning no matter the length of qt. You could keep them in qt for a year then have the dt contaminated by a net or something similar. I am getting my fish healthy and fat in qt with a solid varied diet while allowing dt to be fallow for 45 days. I will not be 100% sure the display is free of all parasites but I do believe my fish will continue to stay healthy and not become infested again as long as I take care of them the way they deserve.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back