Ich in tanks

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well I thought my ich problem was dealt with, but I guess not. So as much as I hate the idea of taking all my fish out and keeping them out of my tank for months, it looks like I have no other option. Sort of a total pain being in an apartment though.
Anyway between the tanks, my fish are fangblennies, Biota dragonet, a neon goby, royal gramma, firefish, and a tribal blenny. For setting up two QT tanks, I have tanks I can use, just need heaters and filtration. I can use water from my tanks to help with bacteria, and bacteria starter before I start with copper, but all my other filtration from the two tanks is either carbon or rock. Is bacteria starter helpful? Or should I just do water changes often? I’m doing no rock, barebottom for the two. Going to get PVC pipe for them to hide. The only fish I am hesitant to use copper with is my baby dragonet. He has shown no signs of ich at all, but I know that all fish probably carry it. Is it safe to use copper on a little baby dragonet? The copper I have is CopperSafe, and that’s all that is around me locally.
Stepping away from the QT tanks, I want to ask about the main tanks as well. Leave them fishless for 76 days, correct? Is there anyway to speed this up? UV sterilizer, anything? Is it okay to leave hermits and snails in? Should I dose ammonia while it is empty? Change temperature?
Sorry to ask so many questions- I’m pretty new to saltwater, and simply because of the fact that I allowed ich into my tanks, I want to do everything in my power to make sure I don’t mess anything up and ensure all of my fish survive.
Thank you to anyone willing to help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay, well I thought my ich problem was dealt with, but I guess not. So as much as I hate the idea of taking all my fish out and keeping them out of my tank for months, it looks like I have no other option. Sort of a total pain being in an apartment though.
Anyway between the tanks, my fish are fangblennies, Biota dragonet, a neon goby, royal gramma, firefish, and a tribal blenny. For setting up two QT tanks, I have tanks I can use, just need heaters and filtration. I can use water from my tanks to help with bacteria, and bacteria starter before I start with copper, but all my other filtration from the two tanks is either carbon or rock. Is bacteria starter helpful? Or should I just do water changes often? I’m doing no rock, barebottom for the two. Going to get PVC pipe for them to hide. The only fish I am hesitant to use copper with is my baby dragonet. He has shown no signs of ich at all, but I know that all fish probably carry it. Is it safe to use copper on a little baby dragonet? The copper I have is CopperSafe, and that’s all that is around me locally.
Stepping away from the QT tanks, I want to ask about the main tanks as well. Leave them fishless for 76 days, correct? Is there anyway to speed this up? UV sterilizer, anything? Is it okay to leave hermits and snails in? Should I dose ammonia while it is empty? Change temperature?
Sorry to ask so many questions- I’m pretty new to saltwater, and simply because of the fact that I allowed ich into my tanks, I want to do everything in my power to make sure I don’t mess anything up and ensure all of my fish survive.
In lieu of copper, go with copper power for full 30 days at level 2.25-2.5 and monitor this level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna- No api brand.
Add aeration via airstone and monitor ammonia levels again with reliable test kit. Feeding sparingly will keep ammonia down.
I MUST MENTION THAT YOU WILL WANT MANDARIN EATING FROZEN BABY BRINE OR ROTIFIERS BEFORE TREATING WITH COPPER AS THEIR DESIRED FOOD (COPEPODS) WILL NOT SURVIVE IN COPPER

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to 76 days at “normal” operating temps but you can do 45 days if you raise the temp. (I don’t increase the temp when I fallow) I just do the time.

The dragonet is a bit of a gamble, put him in QT (how to we feed), leave in DT, may fall victim to the parasite. I don’t find the dragnet family to be very ick prone, they excrete a mucus at night that likely protects from ick attaching itself.

Worst case scenario is loss of fish, and restarting fallow day count.

Me, I would take the risk and keep him in, buts your fish.

Ghost feed during fallow, but very super tiny amount.

Very little bacteria in water, you can transfer any mature media you want, but after treatment, it’s trash.

With no media, have new temp matched saltwater available and change some either daily or twice daily while watching ammonia levels.

Feed them as much as they take, but, vacum up the missed food and stuff on the bottom of the QT.

There is no data on the effect of UV versus fallow time, it would be a complete guess. Nit

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No - fishless for 45 to 60 days if you had an outbreak and coppersafe is similar to copperpower
76 days was old rule and studies have shown lifecycle of ich is much shorter

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In lieu of copper, go with copper power for full 30 days at level 2.25-2.5 and monitor this level with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna- No api brand.
Add aeration via airstone and monitor ammonia levels again with reliable test kit. Feeding sparingly will keep ammonia down.
I MUST MENTION THAT YOU WILL WANT MANDARIN EATING FROZEN BABY BRINE OR ROTIFIERS BEFORE TREATING WITH COPPER AS THEIR DESIRED FOOD (COPEPODS) WILL NOT SURVIVE IN COPPER
I can’t get Copper Power anywhere around me unfortunately. No Hanna checker either. Is one required? I can order if need be. But I also can’t use that much money. College student.
I have an air pump, can do a sponge filter if that would work instead of HOB?
And mandarin will be fine for food. I already have him trained on pellets.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to 76 days at “normal” operating temps but you can do 45 days if you raise the temp. (I don’t increase the temp when I fallow) I just do the time.

The dragonet is a bit of a gamble, put him in QT (how to we feed), leave in DT, may fall victim to the parasite. I don’t find the dragnet family to be very ick prone, they excrete a mucus at night that likely protects from ick attaching itself.

Worst case scenario is loss of fish, and restarting fallow day count.

Me, I would take the risk and keep him in, buts your fish.

Ghost feed during fallow, but very super tiny amount.

Very little bacteria in water, you can transfer any mature media you want, but after treatment, it’s trash.

With no media, have new temp matched saltwater available and change some either daily or twice daily while watching ammonia levels.

Feed them as much as they take, but, vacum up the missed food and stuff on the bottom of the QT.

There is no data on the effect of UV versus fallow time, it would be a complete guess. Nit
What temp should I increase to to shorten to 45 days?
I have my dragonet trained on pellets already. My I could leave him in, but if there is any chance that the ich may infect him or stay in the tank because of him, I don’t want to take the risk. I just want to make sure the copper is okay for him.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What temp should I increase to to shorten to 45 days?
I have my dragonet trained on pellets already. My I could leave him in, but if there is any chance that the ich may infect him or stay in the tank because of him, I don’t want to take the risk. I just want to make sure the copper is okay for him.
Most of the equipment and chemicals can be ordered with overnight shipping from BRS - or Amazon. 81F is the normal temp if you're using the 45 day protocol (after removing inverts/coral)

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the equipment and chemicals can be ordered with overnight shipping from BRS - or Amazon. 81F is the normal temp if you're using the 45 day protocol (after removing inverts/coral)
I have my corals in a frag tank at the moment.
I need to remove inverts for 81°? What do I do with them? I can’t put them in the QT tanks can I?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a couple of observations - copper power and coppersafe are virtually identical in their action. As mentioned, the big issue with mandarins during copper is feeding them. Moving water over from your DT is fine, but don't count on it moving very many bacteria, certainly not enough to manage the ammonia in the new tanks. These beneficial bacterial live on surfaces, not in the water. One trick is to rub sand / coral rock into the water to try and get some of the bacteria off those surfaces. If your filter has non-calcium material in it, you can move that over. Otherwise, you will need to rely on beneficial bacteria in a bottle products.

You can reduce the fallow period a bit from 76 days, but that requires raising the water temperature to 81, and some invertebrates don't appreciate that.

Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know- Coppersafe is in my local store luckily.
Luckily I have my mandarin trained on Pellets.
All I have for filter media other than the rock and sand is carbon cartridges unfortunately. Ive had one in there for over 4 months though. Would that be okay to use? Or would the carbon still be effective!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to remove inverts for 81°? What do I do with them? I can’t put them in the QT tanks can I?
You would put them with your corals

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question - If you're saying - you have to keep certain things in the tank you're wanting to keep fallow - then do the usual temperature - at 78 degrees for 76 days

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - fishless for 45 to 60 days if you had an outbreak and coppersafe is similar to copperpower
76 days was old rule and studies have shown lifecycle of ich is much shorter
Im not the op sorry but I have a couple qt systems going right now. I've noticed leaving a little bit of rock in there helps tremendously with water quality. I know it absorbs the copper a bit and you have to keep it in check but I personally find the tradeoff kind of worth it. I find hob filters to be pretty useless. Am I dumb in thinking this way tho?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, That wouldn’t be an issue. I will he running that tank fishless as well since I used tools between tanks. I can throw some food in for them every once in a while.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I entirely understand your question - If you're saying - you have to keep certain things in the tank you're wanting to keep fallow - then do the usual temperature - at 78 degrees for 76 days
Yeah I got confused. I’ll put inverts in frag and put DT to 81.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not the op sorry but I have a couple qt systems going right now. I've noticed leaving a little bit of rock in there helps tremendously with water quality. I know it absorbs the copper a bit and you have to keep it in check but I personally find the tradeoff kind of worth it. I find hob filters to be pretty useless. Am I dumb in thinking this way tho?
I actually really like them. But I can understand where you’re coming from. Keeping up on the copper levels with the rock just seems pretty difficult, and then I can’t use that rock every again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is a mistake - Others will say it's not. Given the NARROW therapeutic index of copper (i.e. too low - not good - too high not good). If you find it's worth it - thats fine - But - IMHO - You are not dumb - but misguided - thinking this way. Some people are of the opinion that using plastic piping instead of rock hiding places is somehow more 'natural'. If that were the case, submarines, and oil rigs would not be the most diverse new reef habitats on the planet Right? Keep it simple. No rock - again IMHO

EDIT - I did not mean submarines - lol - I meant sunken ships

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back