OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To op, I'm doing 45 days and to most that is more than acceptable. Whenever you add something to dt there is always risk of something. Unless we want to hold our fish friends in qt their whole life there will be that small chance of parasites returning no matter the length of qt. You could keep them in qt for a year then have the dt contaminated by a net or something similar. I am getting my fish healthy and fat in qt with a solid varied diet while allowing dt to be fallow for 45 days. I will not be 100% sure the display is free of all parasites but I do believe my fish will continue to stay healthy and not become infested again as long as I take care of them the way they deserve.
This is similar to my thought process as well, thank you for the input

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy all reagents? This is what I ordered-
Hanna Check and 25 Reagent pack.
is this all I need, or do I need more??
If you're using cupramine, I'd suggest using the Seachem copper test.

The Hanna has quite a large measurement uncertainty and it is possible to overdose.

There are other copper treatments that are safer as well.

I overdosed and killed the fish in the QT.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Hanna has quite a large measurement uncertainty and it is possible to overdose.

I am using cupremine and I should look into that test kit ty. My fish thankfully have all been fine so far but I have gotten readings that were pretty high

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression - that - the 'research' from the original burgess paper was always held more 'highly' than deserved. BUT - I am also aware that (my impression) - if you're going to use a 45 day time period - you need to increase your temperature in the fallow tank - which many people may not want to do. Additionally - Humblefish - on this site - has presented information that there is evidence that cryptocaryon can survive much longer than 76 days in low oxygen conditions. My opinion (only opinion) - you use a risk analysis - and decide what you want to do. @Jay Hemdal
Humblefish isnt correct about tomonts remaining viable in aquariums in anoxic conditions. Tomonts are too large to secrete themselves into an interstice small enough to limit gas exchange enough to become anoxic. Most likely he saw a biosecurity breach and accounted for it with that hypothesis.
Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m using CopperSafe, which is all that’s near me. I already ordered the Hanna unfortunately, but I did order off amazon so I could cancel. Does anyone have any similar issues with the Hanna check? If so I’d be inclined to get the seachem tests, as they’re much cheaper as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know- Coppersafe is in my local store luckily.
Luckily I have my mandarin trained on Pellets.
All I have for filter media other than the rock and sand is carbon cartridges unfortunately. Ive had one in there for over 4 months though. Would that be okay to use? Or would the carbon still be effective!
Tough to say if the carbon could be used: if it is exhausted, then it would be perfect. If it is still active, it might remove medications. Probably safest not to use it.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using CopperSafe, which is all that’s near me. I already ordered the Hanna unfortunately, but I did order off amazon so I could cancel. Does anyone have any similar issues with the Hanna check? If so I’d be inclined to get the seachem tests, as they’re much cheaper as well.
I’ve had very good success with the Hanna high range copper test. It is very accurate. Emptying the powder pillow can be a challenge though.
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Humblefish isnt correct about tomonts remaining viable in aquariums in anoxic conditions. Tomonts are too large to secrete themselves into an interstice small enough to limit gas exchange enough to become anoxic. Most likely he saw a biosecurity breach and accounted for it with that hypothesis.
Jay
I know there was a scientific paper quoted on R2R - but I do not know its veracity.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there was a scientific paper quoted on R2R - but I do not know its veracity.
That’s an ex situ test, I have it somewhere. It doesn’t extrapolate to real world situations though.

Jay

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had very good success with the Hanna high range copper test. It is very accurate. Emptying the powder pillow can be a challenge though.
Jay
With respect, the Hanna HR works well with products like Coppersafe where the therapeutic dose I believe is around 2ppm.

My experience is that if using ionic copper like Cupramine at 0.5ppm is that the measurement uncertainly means that you can easily overdose.

I mistakenly tried to then use the Hanna LR test, but found out it actually does not work with sea water.

Perhaps I'm mistaken.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say if the carbon could be used: if it is exhausted, then it would be perfect. If it is still active, it might remove medications. Probably safest not to use it.
Jay
I’ve had it in since early June. I also cruched up and tried to get as much carbon out as I could cause I needed it to fit in my AIO box XD.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect, the Hanna HR works well with products like Coppersafe where the therapeutic dose I believe is around 2ppm.

My experience is that if using ionic copper like Cupramine at 0.5ppm is that the measurement uncertainly means that you can easily overdose.

I mistakenly tried to then use the Hanna LR test, but found out it actually does not work with sea water.

Perhaps I'm mistaken.
The OP said he was using coppersafe, and the Hanna works very well on that.

I don’t use Cupramine, but since it is dosed lower (0.5 versus 2.5) I could see it being harder to get a good reading - a 0.1 difference is a 20% variation versus 0.1 in 2.5 which is only 4% of the scale.

zJay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Yea I have a card stock I folded in half and use it to guide it into the water. Be careful tho I clean the vials so often the line where you fill the water to starts to rub off.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Sorry! I feel my comments may have muddied the thread. I was the one who mentioned using cupremine so I'll shut up now

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP said he was using coppersafe, and the Hanna works very well on that.

I don’t use Cupramine, but since it is dosed lower (0.5 versus 2.5) I could see it being harder to get a good reading - a 0.1 difference is a 20% variation versus 0.1 in 2.5 which is only 4% of the scale.

zJay
Apologies, I confused the OP with post #43. My mistake.

I agree that The Hanna checker is fine for coppersafe or copper power.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, another thing I have to ask about quick.
So I got my QT setup at an absolute steal, so I can’t really complain. But I was cleaning everything last night before setting up the tank and saw this inside the Motor. It looks like rust, but has almost a glossy coat to it? But this is also a part of the filter where water would always be, so I can’t imagine this was made out of a material that could rust when everything else is plastic? Is this safe to use in a QT? Or should I apply something to coat this?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall, another thing I have to ask about quick.
So I got my QT setup at an absolute steal, so I can’t really complain. But I was cleaning everything last night before setting up the tank and saw this inside the Motor. It looks like rust, but has almost a glossy coat to it? But this is also a part of the filter where water would always be, so I can’t imagine this was made out of a material that could rust when everything else is plastic? Is this safe to use in a QT? Or should I apply something to coat this?
^forgot the pictures

Attachments

• DB9E4053-84A3-4300-9D33-BAC0680BD30F.jpeg
    DB9E4053-84A3-4300-9D33-BAC0680BD30F.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 25
  • D511AABE-8575-4490-8435-6AD637B402BB.jpeg
    D511AABE-8575-4490-8435-6AD637B402BB.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Could I possibly just cut open the cartridge and dump out any excess carbon? Just putting a sliced open crap ball of fabric in there won't hurt if there's no carbon in it right?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 45 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back