Ich on yellow eye Kole tang?

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy has around 10 or so of these tiny tiny white dots on him… it’s hard to see but they are definitely there. The brighter white dots are particles. The ones on him are more faded - I circled them

Just got this guy 2 weeks ago from my lfs
IMG_0339.jpeg

arcangelreef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I’d say yes, looks like an early ich infestation.
If you have some management tools already on the tank such as a uv filter, you might get real lucky.
I’d be siphoning sand every night, feed well and make sure your uv is clean. Maybe you can get through it, keep an eye on him to see if more spots show up.

Otherwise you’ll have to pull him and all your other fish out for a copper treatment and let the tank sit fallow for awhile if you want to try and beat it.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I’d say yes, looks like an early ich infestation.
If you have some management tools already on the tank such as a uv filter, you might get real lucky.
I’d be siphoning sand every night, feed well and make sure your uv is clean. Maybe you can get through it, keep an eye on him to see if more spots show up.

Otherwise you’ll have to pull him and all your other fish out for a copper treatment and let the tank sit fallow for awhile if you want to try and beat it.
just got the AA green killing machine 24 watts, i'll set it up tomorrow.
If i'm not mistaken, theres a period of time when ich is on the fish and a period when its on the sand? Would it be safe to only siphon when its not visibly on the fish or should i still siphon every day.

I think more spots did show up because when i first got him I saw no spots or one... but it looked like a speck of debris and I couldn't find it later so I thought nothing of it

arcangelreef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would siphon every night, there’s no telling where they are in their life cycle. You are correct there is multiple stages to their life cycle.
It’s a long shot that this will all work but worth a try.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would siphon every night, there’s no telling where they are in their life cycle. You are correct there is multiple stages to their life cycle.
It’s a long shot that this will all work but worth a try.
ya im prepared to take them out and qt + treat w/ copper if it gets worse but how long should I wait? Once he stops eating? If more dots appear? Right now hes still grazing and eating some mysis. Also bullying literally everyone lol

Darstar301

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, my tiny Kole hides unless he is out chasing the other fish around. I say fatin' him up and so he gets strong to fight any disease.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that fish swimming in front of power heads is an indication of VELVET! He has been doing this as well as itching on the rocks. Parasites have dislodged but I think they are trying to get back on? Should I qt now or wait it out

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will often swim towards power heads with ich as well. If it is velvet you will have caught it early which can make all the difference in if it lives or not. Best bet is to QT with copper but you have to remove all the fish from your tank in order to ensure it’s gone before reintroducing the fish. By the way that’s a white tail not a yellow eye Ctenochaetus flavicauda not Ctenochaetus strigosis

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will often swim towards power heads with ich as well. If it is velvet you will have caught it early which can make all the difference in if it lives or not. Best bet is to QT with copper but you have to remove all the fish from your tank in order to ensure it’s gone before reintroducing the fish. By the way that’s a white tail not a yellow eye Ctenochaetus flavicauda not Ctenochaetus strigosis
even the gobies? gonna be a pain to get out lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%

Back