Ich or Velvet?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah I don't really see taking all of the fish out as a possibility unfortunately. though by the time the tangs go back in the UV will have been running on the DT for 2 weeks

thanks yeah I think I'm going to drop them in at 2ppm and increase to 2.25 over 24 hours and make sure there's no adverse reactions then go up to ~2.4
Just a suggestion, if you're going to get a UV for parasites - make sure you get an oversized version - otherwise it will likely not help. Additionally - there is a bit of debate (not going to say which side I'm on) - that in reality they do not do much good. Are you planning to treat with copper for 30 days? Also note - if you take the tang out - you may find that the other fish may come down with it.

OP
OP
T

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, if you're going to get a UV for parasites - make sure you get an oversized version - otherwise it will likely not help. Additionally - there is a bit of debate (not going to say which side I'm on) - that in reality they do not do much good. Are you planning to treat with copper for 30 days? Also note - if you take the tang out - you may find that the other fish may come down with it.
Yes the one I got is oversized for my tank. It's the Jebao 55W and my tank is ~180 net gallons. Copper treatment was planned for 2 weeks that's the recommendation I thought? Honestly if the other fish do start coming down with it I will have to get a bigger quarantine setup and deal with it then. I would rather take the chance of treating just the tangs first even if I end up doing more work in the end because it will be WAY more work to get the rest of them out and get a quarantine set up for them all

I am at least running the UV and vitamin soaking their food to hopefully boost their immune systems as much as possible and kill free swimmers with the UV

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if that was a macro or what happened there but I found an updated chelated copper recommendation for anyone following https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/new-recommendation-for-chelated-copper.6796/

That isn't the protocol that we use. Coppersafe's full dose is 2.5 ppm - I've tested this using their label instructions and best lab technique I could muster and it comes out around an average of 2.54 ppm. You need to keep copperafe and copper power above 2.25 but below 2.55 ppm.

Timing for ending the treatment isn't done in a "number of days of copper" it needs to be done as a number of days since the last symptoms were seen. So - the 14 days recommendation falls short if the fish had an active infection and it took five days for the copper to clear that. I use 30 days after the last symptoms were seen, but I know people are inherently impatient, so I do concede that 21 days beyond the day of last symptoms works in most cases.

Jay

OP
OP
T

trexodore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't the protocol that we use. Coppersafe's full dose is 2.5 ppm - I've tested this using their label instructions and best lab technique I could muster and it comes out around an average of 2.54 ppm. You need to keep copperafe and copper power above 2.25 but below 2.55 ppm.

Timing for ending the treatment isn't done in a "number of days of copper" it needs to be done as a number of days since the last symptoms were seen. So - the 14 days recommendation falls short if the fish had an active infection and it took five days for the copper to clear that. I use 30 days after the last symptoms were seen, but I know people are inherently impatient, so I do concede that 21 days beyond the day of last symptoms works in most cases.

Jay
thanks Jay, great input! Ok that falls in line with what I was planning for the dosage amount but I will increase the time that they're in there that's not a problem

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back