Ich

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I moved a Tuskfish into my angel tank Friday night because he wasn’t eating after an injury in observation. Now less than 48 hours later all the angels are covered in what looks like ich maybe. Soft dusting of white almost fully covered.

A. Can ich manifest that fast, or is it unrelated.

B. I don’t have the ability to individually treat them
In hospital or QT. So what are my possible options? Tank has GSP, softies and some paly’s.

9C7212BC-D5A8-4059-922C-22F5FF57146B.jpeg C573480E-3A75-4361-B64B-9DB5BFAD073C.jpeg 8C579220-CCD0-4176-80B6-11510234038D.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the emperor in the top photo has had ich longer than 48 hours (based on the number of trophonts) so I don’t see how the tuskfish, not really showing trophonts could have caused this.
Jay

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO, the emperor in the top photo has had ich longer than 48 hours (based on the number of trophonts) so I don’t see how the tuskfish, not really showing trophonts could have caused this.
Jay
Possible, and thought that ich wouldn’t manifest that fast, but haven’t seen a single spot on anyone.

Any treatment option other than copper?
I know you aren’t high on paraguard but I do have it?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use Ruby Reef Rally Pro in your DT. It is reef safe. Suggest you also purchase their Hydroplex and give the fish a 10 minute saltwater dip. It is low stress and will kill the bugs on their body. The long term treatment still needs to be done though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possible, and thought that ich wouldn’t manifest that fast, but haven’t seen a single spot on anyone.

Any treatment option other than copper?
I know you aren’t high on paraguard but I do have it?
Your options are Tank transfer method (TTM) and if you dont have option to set up a hodpital tank, TTM will not be for you and I believe it stresses a fish from constant movement every 72 hours. I recommend Hyposalinity in which you will gradually bring salinity down to 1.009. No inverts or coral in hypo.

last one which is a Pure gamble would be to treat with both Polyp Lab MEDIC and Ruby rally Pro for at least 10 days and increasing oxygen with an air stone.
Realize it has worked for me and others but also has done nothing for some, hence the term " Gamble". Medic is peroxide salts and a mystery in itself. I know @Jay Hemdal is not a fan of Medic

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Your options are Tank transfer method (TTM) and if you dont have option to set up a hodpital tank, TTM will not be for you and I believe it stresses a fish from constant movement every 72 hours. I recommend Hyposalinity in which you will gradually bring salinity down to 1.009. No inverts or coral in hypo.

last one which is a Pure gamble would be to treat with both Polyp Lab MEDIC and Ruby rally Pro for at least 10 days and increasing oxygen with an air stone.
Realize it has worked for me and others but also has done nothing for some, hence the term " Gamble". Medic is peroxide salts and a mystery in itself. I know @Jay Hemdal is not a fan of Medic
Yes unfortunately with the number of fish I don’t have enough tanks to even hold them all. Let alone be able to move them every 72. Weirdest part is that it came from nowhere. The French is completely covered and she is so glossy black that I’m sure she didn’t have a spot on her last night when I fed. She is always front and center taking the nori as soon as it hits the glass.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes unfortunately with the number of fish I don’t have enough tanks to even hold them all. Let alone be able to move them every 72. Weirdest part is that it came from nowhere. The French is completely covered and she is so glossy black that I’m sure she didn’t have a spot on her last night when I fed. She is always front and center taking the nori as soon as it hits the glass.
This will be a challenge and such beautiful fish but is doable
Velvet comes this fast- unusual for ich

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would think it could be velvet, it is what I always thought velvet was supposed to look like. If that’s the case I would guess I might be screwed.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m thinking about trying this. I did it once successfully in my 350 90g w/sump.
Only lost one fish a white tail bristle tooth tang, but my purple was so covered it didn’t look purple and I still have it.

What do you think?

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would think it could be velvet, it is what I always thought velvet was supposed to look like. If that’s the case I would guess I might be screwed.
Other problems I have. I don’t have a lfs. 5 hour round trip. So only the meds I have unless I drive to Omaha.

I have metroplex, paraguard, copper
Power, prazipro kanaplex focus

And garlic guard and entice to keep them eating.

As of right now they are as well as last night and before.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its marine ich or velvet, you pretty much have to do copper. You can do this in a bin if you can't put them (either the fish or rocks/inverts) in another large tank. PS I think hydrogen peroxide treatment in tank is nearly the same as doing nothing.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If its marine ich or velvet, you pretty much have to do copper. You can do this in a bin if you can't put them (either the fish or rocks/inverts) in another large tank. PS I think hydrogen peroxide treatment in tank is nearly the same as doing nothing.
He has as indicated no means for quarantine and copper which agreed ideal

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Other problems I have. I don’t have a lfs. 5 hour round trip. So only the meds I have unless I drive to Omaha.

I have metroplex, paraguard, copper
Power, prazipro kanaplex focus

And garlic guard and entice to keep them eating.

As of right now they are as well as last night and before.
I have no confidence in paraguard but closest would be metroplex. Best is hyposalinity
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have no confidence in paraguard but closest would be metroplex. Best is hyposalinity
@Jay Hemdal
Hyposalinity for ich, but if I’m right Jay says it doesn’t work for velvet. Fish look like they were dusted with powdered sugar not sprinkled with salt. I only called it ich as it is what I have fought before and Jay said ich.
So now I don’t know.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, I hope you can figure it out! If it's ich, consider a much larger uv? I run ich management mode after a similar situation a few years ago. Ended up plumbing in the uv's inline on the returns so that ALL that water gets zapped. It does a good job with keeping my inhabitants healthy.

I also tried peroxide, it didn't do anything for me. The polyp lab was also a mixed bag (rather expensive one), but it kept the livestock from croaking IMHO. A large uv was the ticket.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hyposalinity for ich, but if I’m right Jay says it doesn’t work for velvet. Fish look like they were dusted with powdered sugar not sprinkled with salt. I only called it ich as it is what I have fought before and Jay said ich.
So now I don’t know.
No for velvet but ruby rally pro will and is reef safe

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I don’t know.
Hope it's ich (crazy to say), velvet is a quick killer. At least you can try with ich. Velvet I started loosing livestock in 72 hours after I had the initial sighting.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How much do you care about the fish?

Are you willing to gamble waking up tomorrow and finding them alive or not alive? …

based off the first question, it might be velvet. That’s a lot of sprinkled white spots. I’d say copper power 100%

Good luck op

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That sucks, I hope you can figure it out! If it's ich, consider a much larger uv? I run ich management mode after a similar situation a few years ago. Ended up plumbing in the uv's inline on the returns so that ALL that water gets zapped. It does a good job with keeping my inhabitants healthy.

I also tried peroxide, it didn't do anything for me. The polyp lab was also a mixed bag (rather expensive one), but it kept the livestock from croaking IMHO. A large uv was the ticket.
So on uv, I know flow plays a factor in what it does slower for one and faster for the other. Algea vs parasites. Do you know which is which. I have a 32w or better (have to look to be sure I run them on all tanks) that runs 24/7. And it is new as I only set this tank up a few months ago.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How much do you care about the fish?

Are you willing to gamble waking up tomorrow and finding them alive or not alive? …

based off the first question, it might be velvet. That’s a lot of sprinkled white spots. I’d say copper power 100%

Good luck op
So if I use copper power, it will definitely kill the corals and render the sand and rock unusable forever, right?

Probably a toss up on dollars, not even close if I can’t use the tank for anything but fish.

I could take them out and put them in 40 gallon trash barrels, but doubt I could keep them alive for 30 days in them. Or I would try.

I know that paraguard will probably kill off the corals, but most of them were moved into this tank as they are over running my other reefs so they are expendable if paraguard won’t render the tank useless.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back