Ick, Powder Brown - Round 2

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder brown just came out of quarantine last week. He was clean and eating well. He’s now back in the DT and boom — seeings spots on him again today. All the other fish are doing ok (for now). I’m going to trap him again but curious on what do you guys do as prevention? Garlic-infused food? I’m not seeing any aggressions and everyone is fed a big nori sheet every other day.

I’m tempted to treat him and rehome. He’s unlikely going back to the DT.

Thoughts?

KPark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has ich then it’s in your system. You need to treat all the fish in another tank if you have corals and the DT needs to run fallow. Humblefish website is a good site to check out for quarantining fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 other tangs, foxface, 2 angels, 4 green chromis, 4 damsels, and 11 clowns — all fine except this guy when reintroduced.
Powders tend to be ich magnets

KPark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had ich in my DT takes a lot of time and patience. If you try to take short cuts it will always come back. To keep it out you have to continue to quarantine any new live stock. I pulled all the fish out of my 180 DT kept them in 40 Gallon QT tank for months with constant water changes and monitoring for ammonia. I followed humble fishes recommendations.

You can usually manage it with certain fish. In my experience the Powder tangs, Achilles are magnets for it and if there is major stress event in the tank and there’s ich in the system those tangs don’t do well.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap set — oh so painful (again)

I had this Powder Brown for 1.5yrs with no issues. He was a bully in another tank hence I moved him here a month ago.

Going fallow or QT all fish is not preferred though. I’m already running a 57w UV so hope to contain the spread. My hope is to get him out quickly before he infest others.

Other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one fish has ich then it’s in your system. You need to treat all the fish in another tank if you have corals and the DT needs to run fallow. Humblefish website is a good site to check out for quarantining fish.
The powder brown tang had ich— it took him out for a month, everyone was fine, now ick again when reintroduced. So not sure where to go from here…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My powder brown just came out of quarantine last week. He was clean and eating well. He’s now back in the DT and boom — seeings spots on him again today. All the other fish are doing ok (for now). I’m going to trap him again but curious on what do you guys do as prevention? Garlic-infused food? I’m not seeing any aggressions and everyone is fed a big nori sheet every other day.

I’m tempted to treat him and rehome. He’s unlikely going back to the DT.

Thoughts?
Garlic is an immunity booster and Not a cure. Please post a 30 second video under white lighting. Powder brown and blues are not ich magnets- fish are not ich magnets but something like stress , poor water quality, etc causes ich to overtake fish.
Is fish eating?
What did you treat with, how and how long?

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder brown tang had ich— it took him out for a month, everyone was fine, now ick again when reintroduced. So not sure where to go from here…
I vote for catch,QT and rehome.
Took a look at your tank.
Pretty nice I'm jealous don't take any chances.
Joel

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above you've got a lot of fish in that cube and although you mentioned no aggression, stress is imminent and aggression is inherent.
I'm sure it's feeling something, thus spots, etc.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is an immunity booster and Not a cure. Please post a 30 second video under white lighting. Powder brown and blues are not ich magnets- fish are not ich magnets but something like stress , poor water quality, etc causes ich to overtake fish.
Is fish eating?
Hum interesting. So thats kinda like a myth then? Hear that from everyone about powder tangs. Like they are nor more susceptible to it than other tangs?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hum interesting. So thats kinda like a myth then? Hear that from everyone about powder tangs. Like they are nor more susceptible to it than other tangs?
Had one for 2 years without a trace and got rid of it because it hated my powder blue
So do I ….lol
My Achilles got velvet first week but shook it quickly

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is fish eating?
Thanks. Will take a video tomorrow morning.

The tank has been up since July (4ish months). My nitrate is less than 2 and phosphate is 0.03. Tank params are fine with the big 3 (Alk, Ca, Mg). I’m fighting cyano at the moment - other than that, things are doing fine.

I took the powder brown out ~4 weeks ago and treated it with CopperSafe at 2.5ppm. He’s been fine last week, hence I put him back to the DT. Perhaps I should let him sit in QT longer?

He’s in my anemone tank: 175g + frag.

Attachments

• IMG_6561.jpeg
    IMG_6561.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one for 2 years without a trace and got rid of it because it hated my powder blue
So do I ….lol
My Achilles got velvet first week but shook it quickly
My Achilles in another tank has been solid — had him for 2 mos now…magnificent fish! (Knock on e-wood) Hope I won’t get ich in my SPS tank — catching him will be crazy!

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpeg
    IMG_6527.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s entirely possible that it’s fluke and not ich? I saw lots of tiny dots/protrusions on the body, it’s not white though. Will try to get some pics for better diagnostics.

Thanks everyone - much appreciated

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back