Ick, Powder Brown - Round 2

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well hello there mister judgemental. You must be fun at parties!
I'm not judging anyone bro. I've been around for about 15 years and learned a thing or two about reef keeping and people around here. I was new once too. Luckily, this place wasn't around. I too would have picked all of this unnecessary crap and bought 5k worth of exotic corals and killed it before my tank even cycled. I actually paid someone to keep my reef for the first 10 years and he kept me in check. He spent 30min every other week and I never had one issue. $120/month and he brought the RODI. The day I let him go, I bought a couple of fish and ended up killing about 20 animals from velvet within 24 hours. A year later, i bought a bunch of crap that I saw people running around here and ended up with dinos, and it wiped out all my coral. We all learn from our mistakes. Had someone told me what i said earlier, I may have reasoned with my decisions to not need the bright and shiny toys. We all learn from our mistakes. Simple is the way... Skimmer and Kalk is all one needs. 5% water change every other week and set your skimmer so you only need to empty it when you do that water change. Buy enough CUC to where you only have to scrape your glass when you do that water change. It works for the majority of reef keepers. You won't here that around here though because they want you to buy stuff.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not judging anyone bro. I've been around for about 15 years and learned a thing or two about reef keeping and people around here. I was new once too. Luckily, this place wasn't around. I too would have picked all of this unnecessary crap and bought 5k worth of exotic corals and killed it before my tank even cycled. I actually paid someone to keep my reef for the first 10 years and he kept me in check. He spent 30min every other week and I never had one issue. $120/month and he brought the RODI. The day I let him go, I bought a couple of fish and ended up killing about 20 animals from velvet within 24 hours. A year later, i bought a bunch of crap that I saw people running around here and ended up with dinos, and it wiped out all my coral. We all learn from our mistakes. Had someone told me what i said earlier, I may have reasoned with my decisions to not need the bright and shiny toys. We all learn from our mistakes. Simple is the way... Skimmer and Kalk is all one needs. 5% water change every other week and set your skimmer so you only need to empty it when you do that water change. Buy enough CUC to where you only have to scrape your glass when you do that water change. It works for the majority of reef keepers. You won't here that around here though because they want you to buy stuff.
Cool advice, our first salt tank was in the eighties. It was a Big deal to stop bleaching coral skeletons once a month and
buy live rock! Now look where we are. To think that people can bring the wonders of the oceans And preserve not only fish species but corals too! Unbelievable. Thank God there are forums to come to to learn and grow in our own personal way!
Debra

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok — powder brown is caught, ain’t bad this time with a fish trap! ;)

He’s going back to QT (yes, for more than 30d this time) and will rehome him. No more powder tangs for me! Check out the ich - he definitely needs help shaking this off.

Attachments

• IMG_6646.jpeg
    IMG_6646.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6638.jpeg
    IMG_6638.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 38

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is ich again you will know in time and other fish will get it eventually, some can shake it off at times. I had similar drama with a powder blue.

Pulled all fish out 30 days of copper, fallow about 80 days. 2 to 3 days later saw spots on powder in DT again. I was in denial because also had viral nodules. In time other tangs got….waited, waited, treated with reeflab product, too stubborn. Lost 3 tangs. Then all fish came out again, copper, fallow again!

Since i have reintroduced fish and added others. First whole year without ich. I am still always paranoid. Buy all fish pre treated….even did before. Just took a risk and added goldrim tang. Saw him flashing against rock in day 2. Started to panic, but no signs of anything.

Morale is, sometimes fallow fails, no one knows why. But maybe it is something else, praying for you!

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I saw a little white marking on 2 fish today so will keep a close eye. I’m not a fish lover tbh — they are utilitarian and honestly I can remove all fish and won’t miss a thing. Ha

Will see how things go before yanking all the fish.

devlinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great read! I am currently dealing with an ich battle myself with a powder brown. Please keep us updated on this remedy.

I recently bought and transferred a mixed reef tank over a month ago and after the first water change I did I saw some spots pop up on my powder brown. After a week or so it actually completely went away. I recently did another water change and it came back again. I have fed heavily on mysis and made sure there has been plenty of nori to keep them eating. Seems to help them fight the ich in my case thus far. I definitely need to install a UV to help as well.

Thanks for thread and curious to see how it turns out. May need to do something like this myself.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great read! I am currently dealing with an ich battle myself with a powder brown. Please keep us updated on this remedy.

I recently bought and transferred a mixed reef tank over a month ago and after the first water change I did I saw some spots pop up on my powder brown. After a week or so it actually completely went away. I recently did another water change and it came back again. I have fed heavily on mysis and made sure there has been plenty of nori to keep them eating. Seems to help them fight the ich in my case thus far. I definitely need to install a UV to help as well.

Thanks for thread and curious to see how it turns out. May need to do something like this myself.
I do feed nori every other day, along with pellets and frozen. The 57w UV is constantly running but doubt that it helps much.

Thanks for asking. The PB is doing well in QT, seeing gradual decline in white spots. He’s eating well and I’m confident he’ll make a full recovery.

I would invest in a fish trap if not already have one. I believe ich can be found in the water column, rocks, and substrates. Doing WCs alone may not work. Good luck with your ich management - understand that it’s aweful and created an anxiety, at least for me.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: all the fish in the DT are now clean - have not observed any white spots on their body.

The PBT is recovering Esther nicely in QT.

So far so good. I’m going out to find some Black Friday deals on a 750g acrylic tank! Ha

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well — I’ve refused to believe this but after the PBT been in QT and fully recovered, I’ve put him in the frag tank with just the 11 clowns — no aggressions whatsoever! He’s the bully in this tank.

Guess what??? After 2 weeks, he developed…ICH for the THIRD TIME! All the other fish in the main & frag tanks are fine. Going to fire up the QT (again) and will get rid of this fish!$&@ Frustrating…

Attachments

• IMG_7293.jpeg
    IMG_7293.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7292.jpeg
    IMG_7292.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 16

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well — I’ve refused to believe this but after the PBT been in QT and fully recovered, I’ve put him in the frag tank with just the 11 clowns — no aggressions whatsoever! He’s the bully in this tank.

Guess what??? After 2 weeks, he developed…ICH for the THIRD TIME! All the other fish in the main & frag tanks are fine. Going to fire up the QT (again) and will get rid of this fish!$&@ Frustrating…
He’s beautiful hope 3rd times the charm!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0

I completely empathize with you brother.

I did two rounds of 90 day quarantine , 30 days copper and the full 90 fallow.

My blue hippo and powder brown still developed ich.

However , I plumbed an Aqua uv sterilizer at 700gph , and it’s been working like a charm.

Consider management if eradication is not working. An abundance of people use this method including myself. Mind you, two rounds of quarantine!!

Happy reefing

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an Ultraviolet 57W running 24/7, 6mos old bulb. I did 45d of copper treatment. Well, after this — he will be gone after QT.

He’s eating normally but I don’t want to spread to others. Good news - he’s really easy to catch in the frag tank vs display!

Live shot of DT - I still have my fish trap, just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpeg
    IMG_7294.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 24

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had luck with PBT's ich magnets imo. Tried to QT'em, bought from a 'qt'ed source and just plopped and prayed. They always get ich, lol. It's just one tang I'm not supposed to have, ever...

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I do have an Ultraviolet 57W running 24/7, 6mos old bulb. I did 45d of copper treatment. Well, after this — he will be gone after QT.

He’s eating normally but I don’t want to spread to others. Good news - he’s really easy to catch in the frag tank vs display!

Live shot of DT - I still have my fish trap, just in case.
It’s going to be a shame when you give him away just to find a white spot on another fish.

To each their own.

Happy reefing

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going to be a shame when you give him away just to find a white spot on another fish.

To each their own.

Happy reefing
Other fish have been fine all this time — it’s just this guy. Honestly I’ve tried. I didn’t learn my lesson from the Powder Blue more than a decade — same deal, ich magnet.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish have been fine all this time — it’s just this guy. Honestly I’ve tried. I didn’t learn my lesson from the Powder Blue more than a decade — same deal, ich magnet.
Unfortunately this is exactly my experience. No problem with any other fish. Just powderbrowns :crying-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back