ICP low iodine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your iodine is low then just dose iodine as recommended that's the whole point of the icp test and making the recommended adjustments. Keep in mind that gfo and carbon deplete iodine

FWIW, I don't think either GFO or GAC bind appreciable iodide or iodate from seawater. :)

There's no mechanism for them to bind to GFO, and I think the GAC binding idea is a long held misunderstanding of the known fact that GAC readily binds I2 (iodine) in some settings (but recognizing that is not the form primarily present in seawater).

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks. :)

You Are Welcome, I Know you were looking for this answer lol, for now I'll keep dosing what is left of the Iodine bottle.

My question where is all that Iodine is going if corals are not using it ? what is consuming my Iodine ?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Are Welcome, I Know you were looking for this answer lol, for now I'll keep dosing what is left of the Iodine bottle.

My question where is all that Iodine is going if corals are not using it ? what is consuming my Iodine ?

Algae contains iodine, some a little, some a lot.
Here's a article with a list of algae and how much they contains:
http://hl-128-171-57-22.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/8748/1/vol6n4-318-323.pdf

Didn't find any data on Symbiodinium when I did a quick search. Anyone knows?

/ David

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I want to hear all real results. It's not like I sell a competing product to iodine. :D

Lots of things take up iodine, but in the ocean, algae (micro and macro) is the main consumer of iodine. Brown algae especially is super high.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per Randy and others, algae (micro, macro and calcinous) will uptake iodine. I'm sure inverts and fish will do also. I run a solid 'fuge and my tank is 0 iodine on pretty much every test. I'm looking to automate iodine dosing to support the demand. Perhaps adding it to solution 1.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t trust ATI as much as many think, certainly not as much as they would like people to think. I sent in a certified standard and i believe iodine was one of several elements that aren’t even in the acceptable error range let alone what was actually in the sample sent.

"Hi everybody,

Seawater is an alkaline solution with a pH around 8. Acidity alters the chemical properties of the solution. Therefore our machine is calibrated with specially designed standards that have almost the same chemical properties of natural seawater. The ISO accredited sample had HNO3 added to it as clearly marked by the label. ATI Does not add HNO3 in order to:
- keep the elements stable in the solution
- keep effects on ICP-OES as minimal as possible

Acidic solutions make it nearly impossible to measure halogens, especially iodine! If acidity is too high, it will change baselines, peak positions and intensities of some elements. If the machine is not calibrated to these conditions, you cannot test highly acidic samples correctly. This is what happened to our machine when we've tested the ISO accredited NSW reference standard (see safety information on the screenshot of the label of the standard, it is corrosive/acidic!).

Our machine is calibrated to the chemical properties of natural seawater and artificial seawaters that we will find in the tanks of our customers. This brings special advantages in the measurement of halogens. The "NSW reference standard" is acidic and does not meet the same chemical properties. Therefore calibration and sample does not fit together.

Regarding the number of standards used, we calibrate our machines with 20 different standards. 14 of them are alkaline only 6 contain a little bit of HNO3.

In general, if you want to test highly acidic ICP standards, you need to calibrate the machine with highly acidic standards, but the measurement of halogens will not be possible.

If you want to test us, please send in natural seawater or at least seawater with natural chemical properties.

Best regards,

Dr. Ben"

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back