ICP low iodine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what bottle in core7 other methods has iodine? My latest test shows pretty low iodine. What’s the best way to fix this? This round of testing is from ATI. I rotate between triton and ATI for ICP testing.

8DA8167F-956E-4D43-941C-59504243BBB9.png
268BAB36-F13E-46AB-B2E4-297BAF205204.png
1FD797D2-383C-43CC-9970-287FE4D347C9.png
A026DCDF-EA39-4A61-8222-8F6D4594E549.png

TRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My icp test exhibited low iodine as well. I believe icp tests have difficulty picking up the various speciations if iodine.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS mentioned that their BRS160 always tests at 0.0 Iodine if they don't specifically dose for it. It's one of the few elements BRS is specifically dosing, don't remember the others.

My tank also tested at 0. Interesting my ICP-Analysis from a few months prior did not show low iodine (but their reports are of somewhat questionable quality). I decided to purchase Triton Iodine and dose that weekly.

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS mentioned that their BRS160 always tests at 0.0 Iodine if they don't specifically dose for it. It's one of the few elements BRS is specifically dosing, don't remember the others.

My tank also tested at 0. Interesting my ICP-Analysis from a few months prior did not show low iodine (but their reports are of somewhat questionable quality). I decided to purchase Triton Iodine and dose that weekly.

This is what I do as well. I used Triton ICP testing and they give the dose recommendations.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t trust ATI as much as many think, certainly not as much as they would like people to think. I sent in a certified standard and i believe iodine was one of several elements that aren’t even in the acceptable error range let alone what was actually in the sample sent.

4A97D74B-1689-44CD-8FEA-A2E17DD9EC0C.png

0891E9C6-1E4E-4102-9F31-0B55AE288E38.png

A035E6BA-FDD0-4E89-8E8F-1B341EFE3138.png

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They showed Iodine as .138 ppm when the actual value was .05ppm. Manganese was also off .05 should’ve been .01. Nickel .01 vs .0001 and it keeps going ATI isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Not even close imo My numbers could be wrong and correct me if I am but my understanding is that the acceptable error range for icp is 5% which would be good but none of these fall within that range.

Last edited:

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with 0 iodine with Triton ICP test, and some of my red acropora are not showing the red color I wanted. so I have just started dosing iodine

Motts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your iodine is low then just dose iodine as recommended that's the whole point of the icp test and making the recommended adjustments. Keep in mind that gfo and carbon deplete iodine

TRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They showed Iodine as .138 ppm when the actual value was .05ppm. Manganese was also off .05 should’ve been .01. Nickel .01 vs .0001 and it keeps going ATI isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Not even close imo My numbers could be wrong and correct me if I am but my understanding is that the acceptable error range for icp is 5% which would be good but none of these fall within that range.

It would be best to conduct a duplicate sample taken as a split. Unfortunately this essentially doubles the samples cost.

TRock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your iodine is low then just dose iodine as recommended that's the whole point of the icp test and making the recommended adjustments. Keep in mind that gfo and carbon deplete iodine

The problem is that we aren't necessarily confident in the zero reading.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting your numbers? My understanding is most tests even professional level are not accurate for iodine.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not to keen on dosing something that may or may not be accurate. After researching last nigh I have yet to find a good reason to dose iodine. Most articles I have read say that there is no proof that iodine helps with anything in our tanks. @Randy Holmes-Farley has a few posts and articles stating the same. However I am new and Incan be very mistaken.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right icp machine and operator can indeed test for iodine. I sent in a certified sample composed of the values in the last pic. The first two pics were what ati tested them as. In a nutshell they either have crappy icp or an operator that doesn’t know how to properly use the machine. If the icp was capable, all of the elements I mentioned should have been within 5% of the standard value provided the operator knows how to actually calibrate and operate the icp. Different elements may require different parameters in order to be tested accurately and a good operator would know this and make the necessary adjustments accordingly. Icp has its limits and there are major differences between machines that can make them better or worse than one another.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right icp machine and operator can indeed test for iodine. I sent in a certified sample composed of the values in the last pic. The first two pics were what ati tested them as. In a nutshell they either have crappy icp or an operator that doesn’t know how to properly use the machine. If the icp was capable, all of the elements I mentioned should have been within 5% of the standard value provided the operator knows how to actually calibrate and operate the icp. Different elements may require different parameters in order to be tested accurately and a good operator would know this and make the necessary adjustments accordingly. Icp has its limits and there are major differences between machines that can make them better or worse than one another.
I have seen others who have sent the same samples to both Triton and ATI and had results much closer. At least close enough to satisfy me. I personally like to alternate. I like the idea of having my RO/DI tested and ATI does that. The only thing I am not sure of yet is the benefit of dosing some of the recommended trace elements from either company. Just because NSW has X amount of Y or Z does not mean our reef needs Y or Z to thrive. I don’t want to spend the money dosing some element if it isn’t going to help. Worse yet spend the money, over dose said missing element (because there’s no good home test kit) and hurt my reef. Can I ask Who tested your values? How do you know yours were 100% right?

Last edited:

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My values come from a standard made to those exact values, the standards that are used to check/calibrate an icp machine. Basically if an icp doesn’t test to within +/- 5% of the standards value something is wrong. Yes my values are 100% right in fact that’s their whole purpose.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My values come from a standard made to those exact values, the standards that are used to check/calibrate an icp machine. Basically if an icp doesn’t test to within +/- 5% of the standards value something is wrong. Yes my values are 100% right in fact that’s their whole purpose.
Apologies for bringing up an old thread...

Jamie7907, have you sent certified samples to any other labs? I recently sent a split sample to Triton and ATI and have been struggling to reconcile the differences.

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with 0 iodine with Triton ICP test, and some of my red acropora are not showing the red color I wanted. so I have just started dosing iodine

When you dosed iodine, did you see a change in that coral?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back