ICP result question.

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should start this off with, I will be double checking these results with ATI/Triton test, but this was currently the quickest result I could get for STN issues.

I posted a previous question about issues with recession, and many ideas were thrown around, and nothing was a smoking gun. I had a current USA eflux pump that had some apparent rust on fasteners, which I was sure was the issue. But recession continued even with WCs and carbon. ICP test also didnt warn of any elevated levels of metals.

All other potential issues I could see have been resolved.

However I recieved my ICP results today, which I will attach, and the results show 0ppm bromide. Flat zero. Every other element within range of the "reccomended" levels according to ICP analysis provider. Can anyone identify any issues here, or can someone give some insight on how zero bromide can affect coral, as in could zero bromide result in the STN I'm seeing?

Below results I posted the comparison chart, At K "potassium" just shift the reccomended values up 1 row, and at S "sulfur" shift up 2 rows, the downloaded PDF results dont match up for some reason.

20210112_213146.jpg
20210112_213211.jpg
20210112_213249.jpg

20210112_212343.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see bromine (Br) in the ICP results, just boron (B), beryllium (Be) and barium (Ba).
Sorry, I had to do a bunch of reformatting. The downloaded results are all screwed up. Posted screenshots of the raw results out of a table. If you check again, every element is there now.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my results and have the same reading of 0 Bromine. I didn't think anything of it until I saw this thread. I am going to follow to see if anything is suggested.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like phosphorous is pretty high (0.1 ppm P = 0.3 ppm phosphate). Bromine is definitely too low (this is the seventh most abundant mineral in seawater at 65 ppm, here's a short post on the role of bromine, see: https://www.joy-reef.com/en/bromine/). Your iron may also be low (seawater is 0.02 ppm). Here's a link to a recent paper (https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-020-01911-z) highlighting the importance of trace iron for corals.
I honestly have almost zero confidence in the ICP test. Because Bromine just cant be zero. And as I dose ESV, which has trace, and nearly every other element being in range. I have little confidence.

Plus they said my salinity is 32ppt. I have 2 instruments, a milwaukee ma887 and a tropic marin precision hydro that say 35ppt.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have almost zero confidence in the ICP test. Because Bromine just cant be zero. And as I dose ESV, which has trace, and nearly every other element being in range. I have little confidence.

Plus they said my salinity is 32ppt. I have 2 instruments, a milwaukee ma887 and a tropic marin precision hydro that say 35ppt.
I used a freshly calibrated Hanna salinity checker at 34.5 and their reading was 33. I should have checked with my Refractometer that day, also.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that bromine is unlikely to be zero for two independent samples, which clearly undermines confidence in all of the values. The company ICP-analysis.com may not be not calibrating their instrument daily. Not good at all.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that bromine is unlikely to be zero for two independent samples, which clearly undermines confidence in all of the values. The company ICP-analysis.com may not be not calibrating their instrument daily. Not good at all.

Yeah I have a triton test showing up today to send off, luckily im in CA so should get the results back quickly. Might get a better idea. Recession hasn't slowed, and every parameter I can test for at home is pretty much perfect.

78F
1.026 SG
Alk - 8.3dKH
Cal - 400-420
Mag - 1270-1320
Copper- 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Phosphate - 0.04

Par meter I have 100-150 par at the floor depending on shade, up to 350 par at surface. Corals have been in one spot for months.

I dont know. No swings, no changes (flow is same, placement is same, salt is same, lighting is same) Maybe pathogenic.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back