ICP Results?

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been having problem with coral growth for a long time now, specifically lps corals, for about 2 years. I will say that until about a month ago I reached chemical stability, or so I think, with my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, aswell as my nutrients. My lighting and flow have been pretty dialed in so I finally did an ICP test with ATI to confirm if anything was off. If you guys are able to give any feedback that would be great, as I know not to trust all of the recommendations that ATI will say about the elements as they may not match my system's goals.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been having problem with coral growth for a long time now, specifically lps corals, for about 2 years. I will say that until about a month ago I reached chemical stability, or so I think, with my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, aswell as my nutrients. My lighting and flow have been pretty dialed in so I finally did an ICP test with ATI to confirm if anything was off. If you guys are able to give any feedback that would be great, as I know not to trust all of the recommendations that ATI will say about the elements as they may not match my system's goals.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1699113659871.png

1699113691579.png

1699113714659.png

Sorry I accidentally made this into 3 messages, I am not very tech savvy.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The report shows phosphate very low at 0.01ppm, this would not be good as phosphate feeds the stuff that feeds our corals.
I’d bump that to .1ppm and hold steady.

I’m not sure what you mean by problem with coral growth.
Do you have any pics?

The rest of the elements look fine to me.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The report shows phosphate very low at 0.01ppm, this would not be good as phosphate feeds the stuff that feeds our corals.

Do you have any pics?

IMG_4001.jpeg IMG_4002.jpeg
By growth problems, I mean that my lps corals have had little to none growth. This duncan coral I have had for almost two years and he has grown a few baby heads, but hasn’t actually grown in size. Like I said though, it might have just been because of stability, as until recently I haven’t had very stable parameters. Also, my hanna checker for phosphate is says my phosphates are at 0.08 so I’m not sure what to believe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the various trace elements, is hard to know if there is enough from none detected, so trying a trace element mix like Tropic Marin A and K might be a fine plan.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have any pics?

Thank you for the advice aswell.

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, what's your water change schedule?
My water change schedule if I’m going to be honest was kind of spontaneous. My total system volume is 65 gallons and I would do a 5 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks. Now I am aiming for a 5 gallon water change once every week.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water change schedule if I’m going to be honest was kind of spontaneous. My total system volume is 65 gallons and I would do a 5 gallon water change every 2-3 weeks. Now I am aiming for a 5 gallon water change once every week.
It’s important to maintain water changes in the same amount and frequency for the sake of stability. The duncan is a very resilient LPS, but is slowly receding.

0.08ppm is a good phosphate target, I do like Hanna results for phosphate.

I see some bubble algae which depending on amount, may be mopping up your phosphate and reporting a low number when actually higher.

You’ll need to address the bubble at some point. Fast multiplier.

What do other corals look like?

OP
OP
ConnorDaReefa

ConnorDaReefa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other two lps are actually doing okay, as they are relatively newer to the system. I have done quite a number on the bubble algae and I think I am keeping it in check. Every time I do a water change I make sure to remove as much as I can. It’s mainly just in small groups now scattered throughout.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back