OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that Aquaforest will replace the test if you let them know what happened. I had a Trident test go missing when a distributor failed to forward it to Trident. They sent me a replacement and asked me to send it directly to them going forward.
I didn't think of that, will get in touch with them. Thanks.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to move the lab out of the basement my friend.

C1199D57-231A-4CC0-8D62-AA8137C5B8D3.gif
;)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Maybe I dont understand the OP well but ICP cannot detect methadone. ICP is an elemental analysis, so it will only detect elements contained in methadone structure (C, H, N and O) without any further structural/qualitative insights. There is no chance to say the drug is contained in such a complex matrix as saltwater is using ICP-MS/OES.
This is also my understanding of ICP. I'm wondering if border services over there were given a crash course in the chemical makeup of methadone. They see the test (maybe ICP tests are scrutinized in some places) and one of them sees some of the components listed and assumes 2+2 = methadone. Kind of scary!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

This is also my understanding of ICP. I'm wondering if border services over there were given a crash course in the chemical makeup of methadone. They see the test (maybe ICP tests are scrutinized in some places) and one of them sees some of the components listed and assumes 2+2 = methadone. Kind of scary!!

I speculate that what happened is they put the water into a rapid test of some sort and it showed some color that "might" be methadone. That test is apparently prone to false positives from other similar molecules.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This flock of seagulls found my kilo I left on the park bench during a meeting and they flew off quickly and dropped a snow storm on the way? I never heard about the positive test on the windshield before today!

I always carry methedone when I fly, with a note to indicate I am in recovery from the medical authorities so I can fly by security on business. My case must have been in the same cargo hatch as the ICP tests. Small world.
Check out Kratom while you still can. :cool:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misunderstood the OP as well. I thought it was the results coming back that was stopped, not the sample going out. I find this even weirder and have so many questions. Do they often stop ICP samples to test? Did they not know what it was and thought it was suspicious? Did it just happen to be a random check? I'm curious because I think ICP tests in Canada go out of country as well (but I could be wrong). Also the route it took is wild. That ICP test has seen more of the world than I have. ;-) I hope this gets resolved soon as well.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This flock of seagulls found my kilo I left on the park bench during a meeting and they flew off quickly and dropped a snow storm on the way? I never heard about the positive test on the windshield before today!

I always carry methedone when I fly, with a note to indicate I am in recovery from the medical authorities so I can fly by security on business. My case must have been in the same cargo hatch as the ICP tests. Small world.
Same, also carry a letter from my doctor when I travel. I’ve traveled around Latin America, Europe (only Schengen countries), and the US, and TSA/customs has never batted an eye about it.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I speculate that what happened is they put the water into a rapid test of some sort and it showed some color that "might" be methadone. That test is apparently prone to false positives from other similar molecules.
I would say that they rather used some sort of handheld Raman or FT-IR spectrometers. I have seen them in action many times (anti-drug units and firemen in Czech Republic use them to detect presence of drugs or explosives). But they are considered screening approaches so the positive sample must always be confirmed by appropriate validated analytical method.

OP
OP
NickHolmes

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. I suspect it was initially flagged because DHL marked it as a gift which got their attention. Frustrating.

affan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's quite an unexpected adventure with seagulls! It's always fascinating how these unusual situations happen when traveling...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back