ICP test

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I got my ICP results in today and was wondering a few questions.

1. I realize a lot of parameters are unbalanced, but are there some that really pose a possible (future) risk?
2. Major elements: should I dose Bromime or Fluorine?
3. Minor elements: Should I dose Iodine, Molybdenum, Manganese and Vanadium?
2. Regarding the elevated metals, what could be the cause of this? I have a Tunze floating rock with the magnet mounted in the water, could this possibly leak?

Sulfur: 681 mg/l
Bromime: 81,41 mg/l
Fluorine: 0.17 mg/l

Iodine: 26.48 ug/l
Molybdenum: 2.12 ug/l
Manganese: undetectable
Vanadium: undetectable

Zinc: 17.29 ug/l
Tin: 6.53 ug/l
Aluminium: 12.26 ug/l

1666031387649.png

1666031476726.png

1666031536452.png

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. I realize a lot of parameters are unbalanced, but are there some that really pose a possible (future) risk?
2. Regarding the elevated metals, what could be the cause of this? I have a Tunze floating rock with the magnet mounted in the water, could this possibly leak?

1666031387649.png

1666031476726.png

1666031536452.png

You have some depleted elements. A lot of corrections needed.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones in specific do you recommend to tackle on?

For starters Salinity, Flouride, Iodine, and Moly corrections, and reduce your Iron and Zinc dose. You’re overdosed on those two.

Reef Labs Inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1666031387649.png

1666031476726.png

1666031536452.png

Before correcting elements individually, I would suggest correcting your salinity to be closer to natural seawater, such as between 34 ppt to 36 ppt. As you raise salinity, you will also be raising the concentration of all your major, minor and trace elements.

As for the deficiencies, all are important. However, I would not recommend correcting F without having extensive experience. A minor mistake in correcting F levels could easily result in a lot of damage to your coral. While deficiencies in Mn and V will not always spell trouble, there are definitely benefits to be had from raising these levels.

The contaminants you have could come from many sources, including foods, additives or even poor quality salt. Exposed metal surfaces are also a common culprit. Magnets can also be a source contamination, but this depends heavily on the type and construction. You may need to eliminate potential sources, and retest to determine the source. The zinc and and tin numbers are the ones I would suggest watching closely and trying to reduce.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1666031387649.png

1666031476726.png

1666031536452.png

What company provided that table? As an expert chemist, I have no idea what the middle column means and I'd ignore it and their target recommendations.

I agree that raising salinity should be the first plan as it will solve several issues. (e.g., potassium).

Bromide is high, not low, so don't dose it. It is fine where it is.

Fluoride may or may not be useful. Be careful with fluoride solutions as they may be toxic and irritating to the skin.

Iodine may or may not be useful to dose. I never found it useful. Some folks think it is.

I'd suggest trying a trace element dose mix that contains elements such as iron, manganese, vanadium.

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before correcting elements individually, I would suggest correcting your salinity to be closer to natural seawater, such as between 34 ppt to 36 ppt. As you raise salinity, you will also be raising the concentration of all your major, minor and trace elements.

As for the deficiencies, all are important. However, I would not recommend correcting F without having extensive experience. A minor mistake in correcting F levels could easily result in a lot of damage to your coral. While deficiencies in Mn and V will not always spell trouble, there are definitely benefits to be had from raising these levels.

The contaminants you have could come from many sources, including foods, additives or even poor quality salt. Exposed metal surfaces are also a common culprit. Magnets can also be a source contamination, but this depends heavily on the type and construction. You may need to eliminate potential sources, and retest to determine the source. The zinc and and tin numbers are the ones I would suggest watching closely and trying to reduce.
What company provided that table? As an expert chemist, I have no idea what the middle column means and I'd ignore it and their target recommendations.

I agree that raising salinity should be the first plan as it will solve several issues. (e.g., potassium).

Bromide is high, not low, so don't dose it. It is fine where it is.

Fluoride may or may not be useful. Be careful with fluoride solutions as they may be toxic and irritating to the skin.

Iodine may or may not be useful to dose. I never found it useful. Some folks think it is.

I'd suggest trying a trace element dose mix that contains elements such as iron, manganese, vanadium.

Thank you both for the detailed responses!
I was already working on the salinity, increasing it slowly.

I think the Manganese and Vanadium depletion could have been due to the red macro algae I added. I will check all the tech in and around the tank for contaminants.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the detailed responses!
I was already working on the salinity, increasing it slowly.

I think the Manganese and Vanadium depletion could have been due to the red macro algae I added. I will check all the tech in and around the tank for contaminants.

It's typical for many trace elements to show up zero by ICP if not actively dosing. Are they needed at detectable levels? That's harder to say. I'd suggest experimenting with dosing and see if it appears useful. It's unlikely to hurt, in any case.

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's typical for many trace elements to show up zero by ICP if not actively dosing. Are they needed at detectable levels? That's harder to say. I'd suggest experimenting with dosing and see if it appears useful. It's unlikely to hurt, in any case.
Thank you!
I forgot to mention, it was an ATI ICP test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention, it was an ATI ICP test.

You're welcome and thanks. The middle column seems like an odd mix of showing a target level as if the salinity were low. No idea why that is a preferred thing, but so be it.

Last edited:
Back