I'd like this skimmer purchase to be more successful than all the others. (advice needed)

OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A). What size tank do you have DT only,
If you do not size your skimmer to your DT I do not care if it is a Bubble King it will not
work effectively for your.

B) How deep is the water, some skimmers like deep water 10'' some like shallow 7 or less, get that wrong and again problems.
How much room do you need?
Again get this wrong and you will be selling it.

C) What is your budget? everyone wants the best until they have to pay for it,
Get this wrong and your spouse maybe mad at you.

Tank is an SCA 150 gallon.

I can easily adjust the depth in my skimmer compartment in the sump, currently around 8" depth. Can easily fit something with a 12" x 12" footprint, 30" high would be a tight squeeze.

I'd prefer to keep it in/under the $500-$600 range but can go higher if it's justified.

I know I'm probably over-thinking this to the extreme, and really any reputable brand skimmer in the price range will get it right as long as I pick the right size. I'm just frustrated at the 'affordable' stuff always letting me down, and I'm nervous about having the same result even if I spend the money for a 'good' skimmer.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be amazed as how well a Simplicity DC 240 will work.
I have the Reef Octopus 200 Regal, I would not put that skimmer on that tank.
A Reef Octopus Regal 150 would be real nice.
I have the Tunze 9410 DC skimmer, I think it would be to small for that tank, I ran it on my 120 gallon DT.
As jda stated finding a good skimmer body with a new DC pump can be amazing,
I have a frist gen. Aqua Maxx Cone S 2 with a Reef Octopus Varios S 2 skimmer pump in it. It works amazing, I am at the point that I need a bayonet style cup for easy removal, I do not like the twist and lock style anymore. Too old.

Lots people kinda frown on ASM skimmers, funny when I go to Coral Wholesalers and retailers they almost all have ASM skimmers. Nothing pretty cheap and do a great job. Put a DC pump on it WOW.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ASM G3, any water level ,consistent, reliable, tune once and done.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live in NJ there is a Nyos 160 skimmer for sale for 200 bucks. No shipping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm tired of buying skimmers, and to be honest I know it's mostly my own fault. I keep buying used/cheap skimmers, or niche style things, and they just never worked out for me. I've had a couple AquaC (Remora and EV-180) and a generic cone skimmer in my previous tank. Current tank has a Bubble Magus Z-7 which I've only been marginally happy with.

I'm heavily considering a Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT, but people have always raved about a good recirculating skimmer, so I'm also considering the Reef Octopus Classic 150-EXT for the greater control. If they made a Regal or Elite 150-EXT I'd have already broken out the credit card, and the Regal 200-EXT is just too much skimmer for my tank. I'm not concerned with having to source another feed pump for a recirc, and I actually do have a bit of a budget this time around. It's a shame they discontinued the Regal 170-EXT instead of updating it with the varios pumps.

So I'm a bit torn which way to go and could use some advice.
Deltec
Ice cap
Nyos
Bubble Magnus
Reef Octo

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen a great RO skimmer since they stopped putting the PSK pumps in them a long time ago. They are OK and most people probably don't even know the difference, but if you have other skimmers, you can see. I would not choose a skimmer with an internal pump unless you have no sump room - it takes away from contact space in the chamber.

In the end, there is no reason to pay $600 or more for a skimmer unless you are just feeling it. Even if you do, there is no guarantee that they are good. Anybody remember the Vertex, CAD Lights or other crazes that have come and gone? Those skimmers are now out of favor and the other ones still mentioned here are still doing very well.

I understand if somebody does not want to buy a new ASM with the Sedra 5000 pump. The pump only lasts a 3-4 years and it can leak electricity when it goes out. The bodies are awesome, not picky and don't care about water level. Put a Hydrofoamer (hard to get right now) or a Sicce PSK on them and watch them just outperform most of what else is out there without needing anything. Old EuroReef bodies are good for this too. On the other side, the ASM skimmers are not expensive, so you can use the Sedra for a while and then replace, or even replace it out of the box and spend less than a trendy skimmer.

If you live in a community where there is an active reef club, they often have garage sales or stuff for free. This is where you get your old ASM or EuroReef bodies for free, or really cheap.

You might be able to fit a LifeReef in there. They are hard to find used since you have to pry them from people's cold, dead hands. They are worth considering new if you are going to spend a lot. You don't have to use the Mag Drive pumps that the LifeReef guy recommends. I use like a 35 watt Tunze something.20 on mine and they are awesome. You have to tune them a bit, but once you get them settled, they pull all kinds of nasty foam.

It is hard to find larger used Tunze skimmers too. Like LifeReef, they work too well for people to get rid of them. If you do, grab one.

I don't know why anybody needs a DC skimmer pump, but I guess that some might think that they are cool. Contact time with the right amount of turbulence is the key - most think that it is air, but that is not all of the story. This means that there is a speed where everything works right... so by changing the speed, you are possibly hurting the performance.

I don't think that you can overskim, or at least I have never seen it. I have 4 skimmers on my main tank and they all pull lots of junk. Most of the weak-sauce that people think is too low of nutrients often is a poor skimmer that needs tons of junk to work at an even average level. I have an old EuroReef 12-2 with Sicce PSK 1000 (maybe a 600), ASM G3 with Sicce PSK 600, Old RO with a HydroFoamer and Tunze 9410. I have like 300 gallons and they all produce nasty foam, but they are also good at their jobs.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
still have a few G 3's still using the sendra's 10+ yrs, may have to "help start" one every now and then.
but the changed pump I prefer is the mag 7 with a venturi adaptor .
300 gal systems, would not trade for a 3k skimmer .
too tried and true...

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a lot of skimmers over the past 25 years. And I agree, sometimes it’s a difficult choice.
A few months back, I bought one of the new Maxspect Jump skimmers to match the size of my new tank. And I am thoroughly impressed with it so far. Very good build quality, quiet, no micro-bubbles in the sump, super easy to tune and it pulls the nasty stuff about of the water really well. It was also well priced. I’d recommend it to my best friend.
Back in the 90s I had a Deltec that works well too. I’ve also had an AquaMaxx ConeS that was great but hard to tune….easily overflowed.
I‘ve also heard good things about Tunze.
DC pumps are not necessary but the added adjustability is convenient.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "MIGHT" have just made a purchase, as I found a website that claimed to still have some RO Classic 200-EXT recirculating skimmers in stock at a screaming good price. I'm questioning if it was actually available or not, as that model is discontinued, but the pricing was too good to pass up and it is a legitimate business website.

If they don't actually have the 200-EXT, I'm watching a couple places that have open-box or other discounted skimmers, including lifereef. I had a couple lifereef products in the past and while they aren't 'fancy', they were also the products that never gave me any trouble. That and I do like supporting the smaller businesses.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with over size skimmers is that when they do not work well you think you need bigger, a 8 inch skimmer on a 150 gallon tank, I would not do it. I question my Regal 200 on my 225 gallon tank, the tank is still dry.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, you have to size it right. An oversized skimmed will do just what you said, not skim then overflow needs to be adjusted constantly. Been there, done that.

Look for one that you can adjust the air and water height. DC pump is silent and adjustable.

I have a simplicity 240 on a 90 with heavy bio load and once you break it in and dial it it it just works. Never have to mess with the settings. Of course you have to empty and clean the cup but that is a given. Reasonable price and good quality. You might want to email them or call for advice on size. They are very responsive. I had a question and they got back to me within hours. For a "budget" skimmer, highly recommend.
Yes have mines for 5 months. Helped bring Nitrates and phosphates all the way down.
Only performed 1 water change.
All I do is remove cup clean out put back. I do not need to adjust.

As time goes on it seems to get better at skimming. Also, this is my only filtration.
Tank is 100 EXT IM

Edit I have the model under 240 I believe. I would need to look at it haven't really thought about it much

OP
OP
hhaase

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the shop DIDN'T have the 200EXT in stock. So I have a Classic 150EXT on the way. Probably a better fit for the tank size anyway. Going with a tried and true workhorse as opposed to the more modern and feature packed.

Thanks for all the guidance, everybody, I do appreciate it.

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of buying skimmers, and to be honest I know it's mostly my own fault. I keep buying used/cheap skimmers, or niche style things, and they just never worked out for me. I've had a couple AquaC (Remora and EV-180) and a generic cone skimmer in my previous tank. Current tank has a Bubble Magus Z-7 which I've only been marginally happy with.

I'm heavily considering a Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT, but people have always raved about a good recirculating skimmer, so I'm also considering the Reef Octopus Classic 150-EXT for the greater control. If they made a Regal or Elite 150-EXT I'd have already broken out the credit card, and the Regal 200-EXT is just too much skimmer for my tank. I'm not concerned with having to source another feed pump for a recirc, and I actually do have a bit of a budget this time around. It's a shame they discontinued the Regal 170-EXT instead of updating it with the varios pumps.

So I'm a bit torn which way to go and could use some advice.
Check out Lifereef skimmers. They are NOT needle-wheel and for a lot of good reasons. ALL needle-wheel skimmers have a pump life. Once the pump goes you are left with two choices: 1. Buy another costly pump, IF it is still made, very unlikely. 2. Buy a new skimmer because the pump has been discontinued.
A Lifereef Venturi skimmer can use ANY water pump meaning when the pump goes out you can get ANY pump you want to run it with. This is only the start. A venturi skimmer reduces nitrates, requires less maintenance, set and forget adjustment, collects as good or better skimmate, adjustable foam density, and more. Ever notice how ALL needle-wheel skimmers look the same: Special pump, bubble plate, and a tube full of water. They are designed to get the bubbles out as fast as possible, not good. A GOOD skimmer keeps the bubbles in the water for a longer time, it is the essence of performance! Check them out, many have and will never go back to a needle-wheel that they have to keep putting money into.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back