austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a little salt water today, but not a lot because I needed to check my hydrometer for accuracy first, which I did when I went to the LFS. I’ll add more though. I don’t mix my own salt water, I buy it but one of the places I bought it from has a lot of little specks floating in the water. I thought it might be salt, but it’s been sitting a while. After I put it in my tank, I noticed how much extra stuff I had floating. Idk what it is. I showed someone at a different LFS and he said he doesn’t know either, but he also told me to put bleach in my tank lol so I’m not taking his word. But i can add salt water then top off with RO DI, that’s right? How do I know how much RO DI to top off with?
If your Saltwater is sitting in a tank always have a small pump in it to constantly mix it. Always check the temperature to make sure its the same as your tank.. i know i have to make 70 gallon water changes for my tank Every month. and here in Florida my garage gets really hot and i have to wait for the water to cool down, before adding it to my tank.. if its to cold put a heater in it.If you have specks in the water after the tank is empty you can wash it out with vinegar and water and rinse it out really good I do that everytime before making a fresh batch. If you buy a RODI system it will pay for its self in time to make your own salt water .check out bulk reef supply they have videos about anything you want to learn.being so much has changed in reefing last few years.. check out the newer videos from 2021. There is alot of info there.also they are also on utube. Saltwater aquarium also has good videos and reef dudes... & BSRtv investigates check them out. Lots of info from the pros.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your Saltwater is sitting in a tank always have a small pump in it to constantly mix it. Always check the temperature to make sure its the same as your tank.. i know i have to make 70 gallon water changes for my tank Every month. and here in Florida my garage gets really hot and i have to wait for the water to cool down, before adding it to my tank.. if its to cold put a heater in it.If you have specks in the water after the tank is empty you can wash it out with vinegar and water and rinse it out really good I do that everytime before making a fresh batch. If you buy a RODI system it will pay for its self in time to make your own salt water .check out bulk reef supply they have videos about anything you want to learn.being so much has changed in reefing last few years.. check out the newer videos from 2021. There is alot of info there.also they are also on utube. Saltwater aquarium also has good videos and reef dudes... & BSRtv investigates check them out. Lots of info from the pros.
I’ve watched the BRS videos, I really like their content. I’ve learned a lot from them. And some others But can’t remember their names lol. I’ll definitely remember that, and I would like to mix my own water some day but right now I don’t have the space or funds to do it.. I was given my tank and told its a really cheap maintenance so I never put any money aside for adding things, but I’ll get there!! I also keep my water inside, but my apartment is prettyyy cold lol like 69°F or 70°F because anything above that is so hot And i can’t live like that lol. I only have one heater, so couldn’t I just put the bucket water (after stirring) into the tank and it’ll heat up on its own?

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched the BRS videos, I really like their content. I’ve learned a lot from them. And some others But can’t remember their names lol. I’ll definitely remember that, and I would like to mix my own water some day but right now I don’t have the space or funds to do it.. I was given my tank and told its a really cheap maintenance so I never put any money aside for adding things, but I’ll get there!! I also keep my water inside, but my apartment is prettyyy cold lol like 69°F or 70°F because anything above that is so hot And i can’t live like that lol. I only have one heater, so couldn’t I just put the bucket water (after stirring) into the tank and it’ll heat up on its own?
No you need to have the water the same temperature & salinity as you tank before adding it to your tank of you can harm your fish and coral. If you just buy R/O water and make your own Saltwater the Saltwater the night before to make sure dalt is completely mixed. if you buy Saltwater already made just check the temperature before adding it to your tank but always keep a small pump in water that you are keeping for another time

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you need to have the water the same temperature & salinity as you tank before adding it to your tank of you can harm your fish and coral. If you just buy R/O water and make your own Saltwater the Saltwater the night before to make sure dalt is completely mixed. if you buy Saltwater already made just check the temperature before adding it to your tank but always keep a small pump in water that you are keeping for another time
P.s. you can buy small heater for a 5 gal bucket really cheep @ Walmart i have even seen them @ petsmart cheep also get a small thermometer to check the water so you can test the temp in bucket. It takes time and money to add to the tank but there are a few things that are very important to have. Keep watching the videos for knowledge your doing great !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back