ID on these coral

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits used to bother my corals but calmed down over time. They don’t go near my lps except occasionally to climb over or around. They used to flip zoa plugs for fun though. Hammer or Duncan will be fine with them.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a picture with whites on would be a lot better about ID but those look like Eagle Eye
98A425BD-4CA9-40CF-B471-5A3F4666F508.jpeg
This is with whites on.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits used to bother my corals but calmed down over time. They don’t go near my lps except occasionally to climb over or around. They used to flip zoa plugs for fun though. Hammer or Duncan will be fine with them.
Do you think having 8 hermits and a shrimp would be too many crawling critters if I were to keep adding different coral? Tank is only 13.5g.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
98A425BD-4CA9-40CF-B471-5A3F4666F508.jpeg
This is with whites on.
Watermelon or eagle eye I think
Do you think having 8 hermits and a shrimp would be too many crawling critters if I were to keep adding different coral? Tank is only 13.5g.
My tank is 13.5 too. I have lots of snails, 8 hermits, an emerald crab, a pistol shrimp (want a cleaner shrimp too but I am 0/2 with cleaner/peppermint), and lots of corals. Everybody gets along quite well. Emerald is the biggest coral threat, hermits don’t cause too many problems. They just walk over it, annoy it for a few seconds to minutes, then it opens back up. Pistol likes to bury things.
3EDCFC0C-D3FE-459D-920D-756CDA512F5D.jpeg

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watermelon or eagle eye I think

My tank is 13.5 too. I have lots of snails, 8 hermits, an emerald crab, a pistol shrimp (want a cleaner shrimp too but I am 0/2 with cleaner/peppermint), and lots of corals. Everybody gets along quite well. Emerald is the biggest coral threat, hermits don’t cause too many problems. They just walk over it, annoy it for a few seconds to minutes, then it opens back up. Pistol likes to bury things.
3EDCFC0C-D3FE-459D-920D-756CDA512F5D.jpeg
Wooow your tank is beautiful! Mine is a bit on the boring side right now haha. How long have you had yours? I’d also love a stock list of everything you got in there from coral to fish. I might use it as inspiration haha. Have you had any issues with growing everything under the stock light? I still have mine as stock but added an additional blue LED strip for the evenings.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooow your tank is beautiful! Mine is a bit on the boring side right now haha. How long have you had yours? I’d also love a stock list of everything you got in there from coral to fish. I might use it as inspiration haha. Have you had any issues with growing everything under the stock light? I still have mine as stock but added an additional blue LED strip for the evenings.
Tanks been running since august, so almost 10 months now.
No issues with the light other than corals not looking as pretty under there as under a better light. I have some trouble with zoas and shrooms, but I think that is just each tank being different. Haven’t tried SPS yet. I do recommend the in tank media baskets, helps with water clarity and overall cleanliness a lot.

Fish:
2 clowns
planning a Randall’s shrimpgoby and a royal gramma

Inverts:
8 hermits
1 Emerald crab
5-10 nassarius snails
8-15 astrea snails
2-4 turbo snails
1 trochus snail
1 unknown hitchhiker snail
(Hard to tell snail numbers because of deaths and hiding)
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 hitchhiker brittle star

Corals:
1 indo green blue tip torch
1 Green and purple frogspawn
1 Pink octospawn
1 Aussie torch
2 Toadstool leathers
1 Lobophytum thick finger leather
1 devils hand leather
1 Sinularia leather
1 Green star polyp
1 red acan
1 Toxic trumpet
1 Red favia
1 Red blasto
1 Litho
Lots of Xenia, purple palys, watermelon zoas, red and black zoas, toxic green palys, captain jerk palys, green clove polyps, and yellow tipped clove polyps.
Some green/purple Rhodactis shrooms and Yuma shrooms.

I’m pretty sure that’s everything, I lose track sometimes...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After looking up both eagle eye and watermelon zoas, I think they’re closer to the eagle eye. LFS sold it for $20 and it has like 15 polyps on it (if polyps are considered by each individual “flower”)
Each head (flower) is a polyp, so yes.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks been running since august, so almost 10 months now.
No issues with the light other than corals not looking as pretty under there as under a better light. I have some trouble with zoas and shrooms, but I think that is just each tank being different. Haven’t tried SPS yet. I do recommend the in tank media baskets, helps with water clarity and overall cleanliness a lot.

Fish:
2 clowns
planning a Randall’s shrimpgoby and a royal gramma

Inverts:
8 hermits
1 Emerald crab
5-10 nassarius snails
8-15 astrea snails
2-4 turbo snails
1 trochus snail
1 unknown hitchhiker snail
(Hard to tell snail numbers because of deaths and hiding)
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 hitchhiker brittle star

Corals:
1 indo green blue tip torch
1 Green and purple frogspawn
1 Pink octospawn
1 Aussie torch
2 Toadstool leathers
1 Lobophytum thick finger leather
1 devils hand leather
1 Sinularia leather
1 Green star polyp
1 red acan
1 Toxic trumpet
1 Red favia
1 Red blasto
1 Litho
Lots of Xenia, purple palys, watermelon zoas, red and black zoas, toxic green palys, captain jerk palys, green clove polyps, and yellow tipped clove polyps.
Some green/purple Rhodactis shrooms and Yuma shrooms.

I’m pretty sure that’s everything, I lose track sometimes...
Woah. I’ll have to save that list so when I go to the LFS, I know what I could keep. I did switch to the inmedia basket, never tan the tank with the sponge it came with. I went to the LFS earlier to pick up some better pellets and saw this super cute ricordea on sale so I grabbed it. Very small. But the guy there convinced me to get another anemone since my bubbletip stays on the opposite side of the tank and hasn’t moved since the first day. Not sure what it is, just labeled anemone. I hope someone has some insight, so far it’s hiding under a rock but it’s pretty big. The guy said if I didn’t have luck, to bring it back for a credit. Thoughts on what this is?
D8BCE7FD-F306-4D35-9980-5F828DF8DD38.jpeg

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah. I’ll have to save that list so when I go to the LFS, I know what I could keep. I did switch to the inmedia basket, never tan the tank with the sponge it came with. I went to the LFS earlier to pick up some better pellets and saw this super cute ricordea on sale so I grabbed it. Very small. But the guy there convinced me to get another anemone since my bubbletip stays on the opposite side of the tank and hasn’t moved since the first day. Not sure what it is, just labeled anemone. I hope someone has some insight, so far it’s hiding under a rock but it’s pretty big. The guy said if I didn’t have luck, to bring it back for a credit. Thoughts on what this is?
D8BCE7FD-F306-4D35-9980-5F828DF8DD38.jpeg
JK I found out from the store when I called them that it was a Condy and it would’ve taken over like half my tank and clowns wouldn’t get close to it. I went and returned it.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last two questions and I should be good: if I wanted to make a zoa colony on one large rock not attached to any other rocks, can you mix different zoas? I’ve seen mixed reactions to it.
Same question with Xenia’s, can you mix Pom poms with the branching type? I have mine isolated to one side against a corner and have enough room to add something there but anything other than Xenia wouldn’t last.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I went to my LFS a week ago from tomorrow and picked up a couple coral and an anemone. The anemone was labeled but neither of these were labeled other than saying Zoa and polyp. Are these a specific type or have a specific name?
00D84105-1266-42A9-98B0-DEA37FD56B50.jpeg
DF2CC125-0B42-415E-8B89-DF34B5225024.jpeg
Eagle eye zoa, and some type of clove polyp's, possibly GSP. Hard to tell under the light, but looks more like clove's since I have both in my tank and the tentacles are thinner with less of a center.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last two questions and I should be good: if I wanted to make a zoa colony on one large rock not attached to any other rocks, can you mix different zoas? I’ve seen mixed reactions to it.
Same question with Xenia’s, can you mix Pom poms with the branching type? I have mine isolated to one side against a corner and have enough room to add something there but anything other than Xenia wouldn’t last.
They can all mix together, just watch as they are very invasive and will take over the rock they are on. I’m constantly pulling Xenia (get lots of store credit for it though).

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can all mix together, just watch as they are very invasive and will take over the rock they are on. I’m constantly pulling Xenia (get lots of store credit for it though).
So I can definitely mix Xenia’s then. I’d love to have some extra to sell for credit to my LFS. Any idea on mixing zoas?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can definitely mix Xenia’s then. I’d love to have some extra to sell for credit to my LFS. Any idea on mixing zoas?
Zoas can be kept together but often the faster spreading one eventually takes over. Best to start colonies far apart so you get maximum spread of each and decently sized colonies.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can be kept together but often the faster spreading one eventually takes over. Best to start colonies far apart so you get maximum spread of each and decently sized colonies.
So if I were to start two separate zoa colonies on the same rock, it would be the best option to start them on opposite sides?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back