ID please!!

Reef addict 01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys need some help ID'ing what this is you guys have been so helpful so far and I'm so generous for it! I pick this up from a little shop I found the guy frags his own stuff. I'm quite sure it is some type of a brain coral however I don't know what kind or how to take care of it. I got it for $3 he sold it to me pretty cheap cuz it was I guess a rough cut and he wasn't sure if it was going to make it any help would be awesome! if anyone needs any help with anything themselves please don't hesitate to ask. I'm a beginner at this but I have learned some cool stuff along the way thanks guys

Attachments

• 1384132851100.jpg
    1384132851100.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 141
OP
OP
Reef addict 01

Reef addict 01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and alright sweet does it look like it's doing okay? I have two kessel a150w 15000k on my 65 gallon tank should I move this coral to the sand bed then?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want to move the Favia to the end of the tank, down low. It'll do better in the shade or low light. You can slowly acclimate them to a little more light.

OP
OP
Reef addict 01

Reef addict 01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK mike thanks. I started it off at the very top and its been there for a few weeks so hopefully I didn't hurt it. Now where its been cut its like a rock no color or anything just hard. How do these grow? If the blue is the polyp will it spread from there or is it dead all the way around from being cut and won't get bigger? How do they grow.

JMMJ13902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest, the favia doesn't look to healthy....it shouldn't show the skeleton like that, healthy favia should have all the flesh around it....try to move down to shaded area and spot feed it some mysis shrimps, if your water quality is good.... It should thriving again.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Reef addict 01

Reef addict 01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried squirting some phytoplankton on it im not sure it could grab shrimp? I feel like they would just float right of but ill try.thanks for the tip

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to introduce a tiny amounts of food at night, what for the coral to show a feeding response (this could take some time, upwards of 20-30 minutes) once you see that feeding response target feed the coral. If it does not respond be patient and keep at it trying again the next night.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can do that or you can cover the piece with a plastic liter bottle (soda) cut in half or a similar method. Introduce some food let the coral sit for 20-30 min and then introduce the rest of the food.

OP
OP
Reef addict 01

Reef addict 01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can do that or you can cover the piece with a plastic liter bottle (soda) cut in half or a similar method. Introduce some food let the coral sit for 20-30 min and then introduce the rest of the food.

Alright perfect I'll try that tonight. Will there be grabbers or tentacles similar to what an acan does

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 176 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back