ID please???

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
88
Reaction score
37
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticing this thing growing in the tank out of nowhere. Not sure what it is?

B56AAC1A-48D5-442F-BE23-31098BEC2A06.jpeg 282D6F33-6642-441A-A879-B9E5F9578A6C.jpeg BE66B9DC-DC4F-41EF-9E78-5258F7C58555.jpeg
 
Looks to me like the start of some red beard sponge. Clathria prolifera. If so, it's fairly common. It could also be a type of algae. Can you get a clearer picture? Here's an example of red beard sponge. It can vary in color from red to orange.
P-30-RED-BEARD-SPONGE-Clathria-prolifera.jpg
 
Last edited:
I will try when I get home. If so is it a pest I should try and get out or keep as a filter feeder?
 
I personally like sponges in my tank and have several varieties. Some hate them. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Some can spread rather quickly and would need to be kept in check. Some can be toxic as well so that's something to consider. If it is prolifera then the species name is a clue to its growth rate. ;) A clearer pic. would still be best. I can't rule out algae.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new