ID this red macro algae growing on the back of my tank

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the past several months I've had this red algae start growing off of the back wall of my 40 gallon tank. It grows in a sheet form from a small base point attached to the back wall. It is very flowy and kind of reminds me of Dr. Strange's cape (if you're a Marvel fan you'll know what I mean). I half expected it to disappear or get eaten by the fish, but it has continued to grow and honestly I really like the look of it, I'm just not sure what it is. I tried doing a bit of research and my best guess is either Halymenia Foridana or maybe Pom Pom Gracilaria, but it doesn't really have that pom pom shape. Any ideas what kind of macro algae this is?

20221227_165911.jpg

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the past several months I've had this red algae start growing off of the back wall of my 40 gallon tank. It grows in a sheet form from a small base point attached to the back wall. It is very flowy and kind of reminds me of Dr. Strange's cape (if you're a Marvel fan you'll know what I mean). I half expected it to disappear or get eaten by the fish, but it has continued to grow and honestly I really like the look of it, I'm just not sure what it is. I tried doing a bit of research and my best guess is either Halymenia Foridana or maybe Pom Pom Gracilaria, but it doesn't really have that pom pom shape. Any ideas what kind of macro algae this is?

20221227_165911.jpg
I cannot remember the name of this to save my life.

@WheatToast or @Tigahboy should be able to ID for ya, as they have a better memory than me lol.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this thread - posted just today
I don't think that's what this is. In the pictures I've looked at for foraminiferans, the sponges grow in more tubelike shapes, sort of like clusters of red vermetid snails. This grows in a giant sheet, almost like a thin piece of paper that flutters in the current much like a cape does. I'll try to get a video of it and post it.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick video I took of the algae last night. It's grown quite a bit over the past few months. I may actually have to trim it back here soon. Any ideas on the species anyone?

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the texture like? It almost looks spongy. Is it attached to the back wall?
I haven't really touched it as I tend to use gloves when my hands are in the tank. It doesn't appear to be sponge-like as I have several different types of sponges in my tank as well and it doesn't appear similar.

It is attached to the back wall at a small basepoint. I was actually surprised at how durable it is because it's right in front of my Jebao wavemaker, but it seems to have a pretty strong hold.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't really touched it as I tend to use gloves when my hands are in the tank. It doesn't appear to be sponge-like as I have several different types of sponges in my tank as well and it doesn't appear similar.

It is attached to the back wall at a small basepoint. I was actually surprised at how durable it is because it's right in front of my Jebao wavemaker, but it seems to have a pretty strong hold.
Do you have a nudibranch by any chance or any sea slug?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Can you touch it? I wonder because the texture and the way it’s attached to the back wall. Can you get a photo with 100% white light and no filter?

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you touch it? I wonder because the texture and the way it’s attached to the back wall.
I will check it out and let you know. According to my research, Halymenia Floridana is gelatinous and smooth in texture, so I'll see if that's the case. I really think that's what it is as it looks very similar to this picture below.

1673100014164.png

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will check it out and let you know. According to my research, Halymenia Floridana is gelatinous and smooth in texture, so I'll see if that's the case. I really think that's what it is as it looks very similar to this picture below.

1673100014164.png
I don’t think that’s what it is though because the leaves are a lot smaller on many and not as smooth/have more texture to the ends and the species rarely attach themselves to surfaces. And 100% white light and no filter because the shade of it is appears much lighter than I think it truly is. https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloridana.htm

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that’s what it is though because the leaves are a lot smaller on many and not as smooth/have more texture to the ends and most species rarely attach themselves to surfaces. And 100% white light and no filter because the shade of it is appears much lighter than I think it truly is. https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebookhalyfloridana.htm
From that link it says: "Most Halymenia grow in rather deep locations so do not require much lighting. Specimens are normally collected free floating or attached to coral rubble by a single holdfast."

This grew off of the back wall from the red patches that you can see in the original image I posted, so it didn't attach itself. Did you watch the video I posted as well? I think that gives a better representation of it.

I do see what you mean regarding the lack of "leaves" and "texture" though. I'm waiting for the tank lights to come on and the tank to wake up otherwise I'd go ahead and give it touch now. It's hosting my clownfish so I don't want to disturb them. :grinning-squinting-face:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From that link it says: "Most Halymenia grow in rather deep locations so do not require much lighting. Specimens are normally collected free floating or attached to coral rubble by a single holdfast."

This grew off of the back wall from the red patches that you can see in the original image I posted, so it didn't attach itself. Did you watch the video I posted as well? I think that gives a better representation of it.

I do see what you mean regarding the lack of "leaves" and "texture" though. I'm waiting for the tank lights to come on and the tank to wake up otherwise I'd go ahead and give it touch now. It's hosting my clownfish so I don't want to disturb them. :grinning-squinting-face:
Oh it did? Then I really don’t think it’s a macroalgae. @vetteguy53081 Thoughts?

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I did a bit more digging and found this thread here on R2R. The algae in the first picture looks very similar to the stuff in my tank that I believe grew into this piece we're trying to identify. The OP seemed to think it was either Peyssonnelia or Hildenbrandia. The more I search, the more confused I get. :grinning-squinting-face:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmm. I did a bit more digging and found this thread here on R2R. The algae in the first picture looks very similar to the stuff in my tank that I believe grew into this piece we're trying to identify. The OP seemed to think it was either Peyssonnelia or Hildenbrandia. The more I search, the more confused I get. :grinning-squinting-face:
I know…it’s weird because it doesn’t quite fit the description of anything I’ve seen looking closer at it and been given more info. I’m going to wait for others to come on here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back