ID this thing please!

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1435096528.334930.jpg

We got a tank recently and I know NOTHING about corals and whatnot. I don't even know what this is. But it's gotten smaller over the past couple days. Should I be feeding it? How often? Is it on its way out? Sorry for all the questions!

TIA!

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like a wellso or trachyphillia (lord knows if I spelled it right). It has feeder tentacles that come out (my trachy's tentacles usually come out when I'm feeding my fish or at night when the lights are off) when it's looking for food. I don't feed mine that often, maybe once a week. How big is it? I'd be a little worried if mine was shrinking or looking deflated. How are your tank parameters?

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new. We've had the tank for a week or 2 and I've been worrying about the fish. All I can tell you is the Ph is good. I'm so confused! [emoji15]

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind on slide my hand underneath it and pick it up that way. It has a hard skeleton underneath. It disturbs the sand a little, but no big deal. I try not to move it too much.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I just went down to check on it, and it was small! Does it shrink when the light goes off? Sorry for all the questions!

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine typically doesn't shrink, but I do remember it doing it once and when I checked my water parameters, it was off. You really want to invest in some good test kits for keeping corals. In my humble opinion, the API test kits are not sensitive or accurate enough for keeping a reef. I test a full battery of tests twice a week, but I also test Alkalinity daily. Also, my trachyphillia doesn't like getting blasted by water current. Keep it in a moderate flow area, so it can fully inflate. I hope this helps!

jstuver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the wellso or trachys I've owned shrink at night and inflate during the day. But as said above you will want to check your parameters.

OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly does checking my water parameters entail?

I do have the Red Sea test kits. I tried testing the Mg yesterday and screwed it up both times. [emoji53]

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea magnesium test kit as well...it was something to get used to doing! Lol!

These are MY ideal parameters...I am sure some will disagree but this is what has worked for me so far:

pH - 8.1 - 8.4 (mine typically sits between 8.3 and the low 8.4's)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0 - 1 ppm
Calcium - 380 - 450 mg/ml
Alkalinity - 6-11 KH
Magnesium - 1200 - 1400 mg/L
Phosphate - 0 - .02 ppb

Some of these are subjective...like pH for example. Many reefers stress out on having their pH at exactly 8.3. In my humble opinion, if your tank and it's inhabitants are happy, don't try to force it. You might want to do some research on keeping corals since you are kinda new to it. For me, this forum has been really helpful, along with guides I purchased from Mr. Saltwater Tank. This is my second go around with a reef tank. My first try was CRASH AND BURN, big time! By following the guides and videos found at mrsaltwatertank.com, I have been much more successful this time around. Lots of research (reputable authors) and diligent tank husbandry are a must. Check out the stuff Randy Holmes-Farley writes too (he is on this forum as well), he's really on point!

Last edited:
OP
OP
megisawesome06

megisawesome06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It said I wouldn't need the full ml of titration, but it never turned blue. [emoji53]

ilovereefing <3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your magnesium is really high? When I first did the test, I misunderstood the first step, which was to drop reagent A (5 drops) but after every drop you have to shake or swirl the vial for 15 seconds. I did it wrong! Lol! You also have to really watch for the color change. It is quick, and will sometimes go back to a purple color after you have reached the blue end result. I squeeze in the titrant quickly for the first .5 mL, and then do it dropwise from there. But I pretty much know where the magnesium is so I know when to slow down.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back