Idea for dry tickle sump

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a controversial subject because wet dry filters can add a lot of nitrates. I don't know how this happens but my theory is because of double the biological filtration from the colony of bacteria in the live rock and in the bio part of the sump extra nitrates are produced from double the bacteria. My solution is make your own without biological filtration because I've heard from many reefers that live rock is actually your main source of biological filtration. You only need a filter for mechanical and chemical not biological extra biological might seem good but because the increase in bacteria extra nitrates are produced. I've posted something like this on my old account this week but I'm sorry my phone broke and I forgot what email I used so I made a new one. So my idea is based off of this diagram with some modifications
b9fa4b141335a3f2e1a6ab747a3c60cb.png

So the sump it's self will be made with a clear plastic bin and pieces of other plastic bins and some aquarium safe silicon. So what you do is you get a bin long a wide bin to house your equipment and water so. The first thing is the filter which is another a little bit thinner large plastic container turned upright with some slabs with holes glued on with aquarium safe silicon and some filter cups and some other slabs that hold the chemical filtration bags. Each slab is a rectangle with a small gap or hole to help with flow. Next is the skimmer which I'm going to buy I don't know how to make one. Next will maybe be a refugum which will be a small plastic container with holes for flow and maybe some coral pieces or a clean up crew. Then there's a waver maker because I can afford another powerhead for my sump. Next is the return pump which will be either before the filter or after the refugum I haven't decided yet and that will go to the overflow system and then that's my sump. This is for my Fish only with live rock aquarium so that's why the setup isn't that advanced. If anyone has tips or comments and questions please tell me I'm an idiot.

OP
OP
vicmonahan1396

vicmonahan1396

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't this the same question you asked from your "other" account??

Yeah my phone broke and I forgot my email for that one because it wasn't saved on my iPad from a year or two ago so I got that and yeah I reposted it with some of the modifications people recommended.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back