Idea

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why don't we have a mentor program? Might be a good way to help noobs...you could reach out to someone local to you and be able to chat and possibly get 1 on 1 help with issues that would arise....just an idea to think about....I know that everyone doesn't have a local reef club for them and this might help.

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you could ask for volunteers, ask for the geographic locations and put them in a new thread, forum or sub forum....I would add it to a sticky for "new to saltwater and reef aquariums", the ultimate saltwater aquarium set up sticky, and "meet and greet". From there you could just pm the closest mentor to you and you could then exchange info or converse via pm. Just spitballing some ideas here though....Rev probably has already thought of this, but thought I would throw it out to see what you thought.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've batted this kind of idea around in the past, but we have not been able to come up with a way we think it would work in the long run. So keep discussing; you might help more than you think. :)

The problem with doing it all in PMs though, is that it doesn't help anyone else in the future. And it also eliminates the opportunity for correction of someone or an alternative point of view, but then that's kinda the point of the forum; gathering as many opinions as you can.

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've batted this kind of idea around in the past, but we have not been able to come up with a way we think it would work in the long run. So keep discussing; you might help more than you think. :)

The problem with doing it all in PMs though, is that it doesn't help anyone else in the future. And it also eliminates the opportunity for correction of someone or an alternative point of view, but then that's kinda the point of the forum; gathering as many opinions as you can.
I figured as much...the difference with what I am thinking is that given close (hopefully) contacts, if you needed someone ASAP to look at something or help you with plumbing or just need someone to be with you when you do your first water change, someone might be able to help....this way increasing your confidence in what you are doing....I agree it is kind of a pie in the sky idea...but it could be volenteer of course and might help with those oops or I don't know what to do questions.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Reefsquad that in many cases can help to mentor.
But we are regular ppl with families and not always we can hold hands.
But there are many success stories I can tell you that.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back