If I were to interview a zoa expert...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...what are some questions you'd like to ask him/her?

So I'm thinking about doing some different interview style articles for R2R, and I'm thinking a conversation with a zoa expert could be a lot of fun. If we were to do that, what would be some questions you'd like to see asked?

(If you're thinking you'd like to see some other types of articles made, be sure to suggest those HERE.)

Buck23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That LFS and online sites post that PALYS which are ZOAS can be toxic and that they be labeled properly as some zoas are not or do not have the toxins. I know that's a loaded ? but many new beginners are just not aware nor of how to handle.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...what are some questions you'd like to ask him/her?

So I'm thinking about doing some different interview style articles for R2R, and I'm thinking a conversation with a zoa expert could be a lot of fun. If we were to do that, what would be some questions you'd like to see asked?

(If you're thinking you'd like to see some other types of articles made, be sure to suggest those HERE.)
Why do they melt

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A follow-up to Buck23. It would be nice having an expert (scientific based I hope) deep dive into what reefers can do to protect themselves and family if they choose to keep zoas (zoas or palys).

Things like
- does running carbon really remove the toxins from the water.
- How realistic, or unrealistic, is evaporation to contain the toxins if the inhabitants were releasing
- makers for identifying toxic species considering the endless vendor re-branding of zoa types.
- there was a good video that I shared on here a while back. But, it could be totally wrong and opinion based.
- characteristics like size, reach/height, closing when detecting food, rough skin, etc were mentioned.

Just a few thoughts and perhaps not what you were looking for when it comes to things to ask an expert.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That LFS and online sites post that PALYS which are ZOAS can be toxic and that they be labeled properly as some zoas are not or do not have the toxins. I know that's a loaded ? but many new beginners are just not aware nor of how to handle.
There is no clear delineation between palys and zoas from a biological standpoint. Better to put the warning on all of them to be safe rather than sorry.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210304_225053.jpg

20210304_225212.jpg

Question: do you report all your income to the IRS?

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who comes up with all the dumb names? and as stated above why do said dumb names demand a premium when same polyps with no lineage go for pennys, and people swear they are different when its just lighting and filters? I worked with a vendor long ago, went to same suppliers as another well know 'coral namer'.... we bought one colony, 'coral namer' another, from same delivery same day side by side (you could put the 2 pieces of rock together to make one mega colony)... they got top dollar, we couldn't as we were not 'coral namer' famous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get them to open, even when water parameters are right, lighting is right and flow seems right? Everything else in the tank looks fantastic.
diddo, all my corals (SPS and LPS) are doing great by all my zoas started melting around the same time. checked for parasites and zoa pox.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Information on natural environment.
Where do we find zoas on a natural reefs and what is unique about where we find them?
This might be a cool questions or it might be just a “it really depends on the species of zoa”.

What do they like to eat?

What fish / inverts / other creatures normally live with them?

Common pests and predators?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back