If successful... how long did it take for peppermint/filefish to control aiptasia?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title, if you had successfully controlled your aiptasia with either of these, how long did it take for you to notice them disappearing?

I am currently battling aiptasia in a 180g display and added a large filefish and numerous peppermint shrimp (true ones). Curious as to what everyones experience was who were successful.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like the title, if you had successfully controlled your aiptasia with either of these, how long did it take for you to notice them disappearing?

I am currently battling aiptasia in a 180g display and added a large filefish and numerous peppermint shrimp (true ones). Curious as to what everyones experience was who were successful.
Filefish worked great for me for a while. He’s full grown now and I don’t see the same vigor in eating them like before. So I would say mixed results..?

another shrimp to consider is this..

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filefish worked great for me for a while. He’s full grown now and I don’t see the same vigor in eating them like before. So I would say mixed results..?

another shrimp to consider is this..

Awesome, I will check that shrimp out if I have to do.

Can you tell me how long it took (that you noticed) for your filefish to start tackling the aiptasia problem?

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 3 peppermints for my 30 long. Wiped out all aiptasia in about a week and a half. Voracious consumers of the pests.

I need this to happen lol. I bought 9 peppermints from algae barn and they were practically non existent they were so strong. My LFS finally got them in after the shortage from Florida, they were nice and big, I put 6 of those in the tank. Wondering if I need more in a 6x2 ft tank to increase my odds.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome, I will check that shrimp out if I have to do.

Can you tell me how long it took (that you noticed) for your filefish to start tackling the aiptasia problem?
It was nearly immediately (days) that I saw him picking at them.

thought

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 true peppermint shrimp took a couple weeks to handle my 30 gal tank.

However, year later I added a tuxedo urchin for algae control and the bigger shrimp started attacking the urchin right away. I thought it was just cleaning it maybe but after a while urchin was hiding, had a bald spot where a bunch of spines fell off and the peppermint shrimp was still going after it.

Ended up isolating the urchin while trying to catch the shrimp. In the mean time the she started picking at my BTAs. Like it was blood thirsty since getting a taste of urchin.

I caught the shrimp and gave them to the LFS and warned them of the aggression. Never would have thought that would happen.

Algae is gone now but some aptasia are popping back up :/ ugh. Not sure if I wanna risk it was more peppermint shrimp yet.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thought 's experience was similar to mine. Once they get started eating the aptasia start dissapearing. WHat are they going to eat then? I always removed my shrimps to avoid unwanted snacking and slowly the aiptasia reappear.

I have had better luck with filefish, IFF they decide they want to eat them. If you keep the shrimp or filefish in the tank I have not had reoccurances of aiptasia. I have traded the fish to someone who needed them and the aiptasia eventually pop up again. Did they hitchhike in or were they hidding under a rock somewhere?

To answer your question, all of these predators are fairly quick once they start eating a 180 might take a week or a month depending on how many pests you start with.

My most recent success was with a rescue copperband butterfly. The LFS gave me the sick fish and about a month later I noticed that the aiptasia were all missing! I have a second tank in the system that I need to move him into. If after a month you don't see any change then you don't have a proper predator for your pest..

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Back a few years ago I had aiptasias everywhere in my 240. So I started with 6-7 peppermints, and saw no change after a couple weeks. Figured I got sent the non aiptasia eating ones.
So I picked a matted filefish.
After 2-3 weeks pretty much the same thing.
So I picked up 15-16 peppermints from a different source than the first one.
Nothing seemed to happen for a week or so.
Then I suddenly noticed a couple big ones weren't there anymore.
After that they went fast. Probably 2 weeks later, I couldn't find a single one.
Not sure who did the cleanup, but it's been 3-4 years and my tank is aiptasia free. ( my overflow is a aiptasia garden though)

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to come back to this thread, why would my peppermints tackle the largest Aiptasia in my display over a month or so again (visibly seen them go after it), then nothing really more after that? Lol just want to bang my head against a wall :face-with-tears-of-joy:.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to come back to this thread, why would my peppermints tackle the largest Aiptasia in my display over a month or so again (visibly seen them go after it), then nothing really more after that? Lol just want to bang my head against a wall :face-with-tears-of-joy:.
Post a picture of your aiptasia.

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My peppermint shrimp took less than a week in my tank but I caught it early

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk past in my 180 gallon. My copper band controls them in my smaller tank. I have never seen an aiptasia in the display with the CBB even though they are in the overflow and sump. I need to move the CBB to my 180 but it has been doing so well where it is I'm afraid to put it in the 180 with my tangs. Sorry I'm not really sure how long it took to clear any from the display as I wasn't really focused on that.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a lot of aiptasia in a 45gallon refugium
I got a deal for 3 peppermint shrimp. All the aiptasia was gone within a few hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back