If you could change your tank right now, would you do it?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a hypothetical question than anything, haha. I am wondering if you were given the opportunity to change your tank for a different one, would you do it? Maybe you would go for a bigger tank, something smaller or maybe something that is unique looking. Curious to see what everyone says!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...saw this same question posed a few months ago,,, my response is same now as then:

I have no sump (HOB equipment only) so that's the one thing I'd like to change -- I would like to run some type of refugium and keep some non reef safe inverts in there.

Tank location doesn't allow for it (((nook that juts out of the house with no room below))). Other than that, the location is ideal so I'll probably never actually do anything differently, even though I'd like to, in theory.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rebuild it in Low Iron (Starfire) glass, I loose a lot of true color in my corals because of the 1/2" thick green standard glass.
My top down view is so much better than my side view.

The cost to remake this 14' 850 gallon reef is just not an option. All you big glass tank guys, make sure you choose Low Iron (starfire) glass.
IMG_1751.JPEG

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes more a year for reef tank to mature and for stuff to starts sprouting there, so I wouldn’t change it, but I would add new one.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rebuild it in Low Iron (Starfire) glass, I loose a lot of true color in my corals because of the 1/2" thick green standard glass.

The cost to remake this 14' 850 gallon reef is just not an option. All you big glass tank guys, make sure you choose Low Iron (starfire) glass.
IMG_1751.JPEG
Your tank is awesome!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of a hypothetical question than anything, haha. I am wondering if you were given the opportunity to change your tank for a different one, would you do it? Maybe you would go for a bigger tank, something smaller or maybe something that is unique looking. Curious to see what everyone says!
Yes, in a heart beat.
I want a 150 gallon or the IM 170.
I would love to do the scape on it. Just looking for a house(still) been forever. Wife is picky but it will be the last ever move.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
9001% yes.

although i am satisfied and love my 40B, i really wish i could've gone with a taller stand... part of the reason i rarely clean my sump is the lack of headroom i have to get in there and move about to clean things. i do believe the IM100 is somewhat similar in size but holds more water. i'd definitely go for this if i had the $ and space.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More coral, get fish. That's it

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading one of my tanks in the near future. Just a matter of finding the right deal on a very large used one. Apparently five tanks is my magic number, where 6 is too many. :grinning-squinting-face:

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my tank, but if I could snap my fingers and have anything, I think I'd have a slightly larger rimless cube, like 40 gallon and then have a little tank, like 10g.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I thought, most of us would like to go bigger.

The dream tank that I designed in my head (wish I was a better artist and/or had a CAD program) would be best described as 4 long tanks put together so that it was continuous (like a doughnut, but square). The area in the middle could also be a viewing area and access all the sumps/refugium/UV tanks/ATO/etc that are in normal area under the 4 tank sections. One of the tanks would have the cabinet middle section be the hidden access to bend over and scoot through into the middle section, so the sump here would be smaller. I also would love to add the one side that is the centerpiece when you walk up to the tank be a complete drop off tank, with a reef rock wall from basically floor to about 4 1/2 foot to 5 foot high. I envision one of the tank sections to be little rock with more sand and planted things such as gorgonians and other macro algae. I think that about covers it.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1751.JPEG
My dream tank!!!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with cheap undrilled tanks. Wish I would have saved up a bit and gotten some real saltwater tanks because janky plumbing is a nightmare

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back