If you could pick just ONE coral for a (species) nano tank, what would it be?

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, my tanks I started in 2021 are no longer in existence. Not everything in my pico was doing well, and then I had to move and start graduate school so all that was torn down. But I am waffling between a new planted freshwater tank or a new nano saltwater. But Keeping it simple. I would want to go for a single species of coral, maybe an attractive macroalgae or two, as I really like a more minimalist look in both a planted or reef tank. Not sure on water volume but probably somewhere between 5 and 10 gallons. I think a species tank that I could keep fairly low maintenance would be great.

I am looking for inspiration, so. If you could pick a single species/type of coral to fill a nano tank, what would it be and why?

I am partial to encrusters, though something that takes up vertical space would be nice. I have some things in mind already (certain softies, duncans, Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Galaxea...). But the hivemind of the forum seems a good place to gain inspiration to decide what I want to create.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
mangrove anemone tank. either rock flowers or bubble tips! seems like a go-to recently. i do also suggest mushrooms(maybe high end?), or even LPS like torches/hammers/favia/acans?

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As beautiful as an SPS or encrusting LPS nano would look, I’d be scared or a parameter swing that I’d notice too late and lose them. So for me it would be a softy tank. Shrooms zoas and toadstools. Lots of different color variations with a goby or blenny running the streets

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a coral suggestion, which I know is your question. But I think every nano should have a pom pom crab.
Reason:
Excited Go Team GIF

they just make me smile :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have NO blennies. I’d go for a Staghorn Acropora, they come in beautiful colours and when theyre in the right conditions you will find atleast and inch of growth per week.

I’ve been trying to grow mine but my blenny hates it unfortunately…

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a coral suggestion, which I know is your question. But I think every nano should have a pom pom crab.
Reason:
Excited Go Team GIF

they just make me smile :)
I do agree, pom pom crabs are adorable!

Assuming you have NO blennies. I’d go for a Staghorn Acropora, they come in beautiful colours and when theyre in the right conditions you will find atleast and inch of growth per week.

I’ve been trying to grow mine but my blenny hates it unfortunately…
Growing Acropora scares me a little to be honest.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that zoas are a great choice given how much color variety you can have even in a nano
I have thought about collecting all the color variations of Zoanthus gigantus. Or Palythoa grandis. I drool over P. grandis.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where the Montipora digitata comes in.
It is hearty, forgiving, colorfull, entrusting, and branching.
In a nano with fluctuating water parameters it is ideal.
Wait, am I the only one who cannot keep Monti digi alive in a 4’ tank yet can get encrusting monti, acros and plating monti to grow?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, am I the only one who cannot keep Monti digi alive in a 4’ tank yet can get encrusting monti, acros and plating monti to grow?
Probably not the only one. I have killed my fair share over the years.

Always trying to find a way to be special... ;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the only one. I have killed my fair share over the years.

Always trying to find a way to be special... ;)
Thank god - I would’ve felt stupid haha. I cannot get monti digi to grow no matter what I do. So I’m glad I’m not the only one haha.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will always be someone who can’t seem to grow a particular coral, whatever that may be.

Well, that’s already a neat spread of ideas we have here! Things for me to think about. I do dig the idea of a tank just full of Hawaii zoanthus/palythoa varieties…

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will always be someone who can’t seem to grow a particular coral, whatever that may be.

Well, that’s already a neat spread of ideas we have here! Things for me to think about. I do dig the idea of a tank just full of Hawaii zoanthus/palythoa varieties…
Be sure to update once you get going. Remember, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back