If you did, how would you?

Would you change something with your current reef system?

• Yes and I a going to make the change..(tell us what)

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Yes but it will take time due to various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 38 29.7%
  • Yes but I won't be able to for various reasons..(tell us why)

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • It's not perfect but I would not change anything..

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • No because it's exactly how I want it..

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current system, the Red Sea 425xl is a nice tank, but to small for my goals and the species of fish I enjoy. My new system is going to be large enough (340 gallon display) to enjoy the tank how I want, it is taking longer then expected but I’m doing it exactly how I want the first time,

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that the healthiest tanks have biodiversity. Someday, when I have a different tank (and I'm not broke) I'll get a bigger tank like a 40gal breeder and a refugium for incompatible hitchhikers. I'd also start my tank with TBS rock and sand, which is what saved my current tank from death.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had my d'ruthers?

I'd build a sump in the basement, and with an integrated refugium it might be bigger than my 220 gallon display - stability, nitrate reduction, 'pods and many good things . . .

I'd start with 100% _live_ liverock, and sand, from TampaBay and KP Aquatics or anyone else who's cultivating the stuff in the ocean, where every kind of fascinating biodiversity can cling on. Pretty corals are nice, but I also love to take a flashlight to the reef at night and see what's creeping over the rock in the dark.

I'd integrate a chiller - or at the least, I'd integrate central air into my home.

I might add a couple of additional powerheads on the back wall of the display (there's some small potential to actually do this one...) to improve chaotic flow.

I _might_ integrate a UV sterilizer, and be better able to manage algae and bacteria blooms in the water, and fish diseases.

Pretty much too broke for any of the above, but it's a nice dream . . .

~B.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely going to go with a bigger tank, bigger sump, and higher quality equipment. i love my little 30 gallon cube now but i find it restricting in terms of fish choice and the amount of coral i can put in.

i would also start with live rock directly from the ocean, to help with microfauna population, which i am struggling with now.

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new 350 gal. build I made it 36" deep, I wish i would have gone with a 30" deep 300 gallon instead. 36" is just to deep to work on. Make it really hard to catch fish also.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I plan to do now:

Clean up the sump, re-plumb my UV sterilizers, and other equipment as it’s a mess.

What I would do if I could:

Not have my sump under the stand

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank system is really great and I am very pleased with it. It has morphed into what it is over the last 4 years.

Right now about the only change I am thinking about is perhaps upgrading to a bigger return pump. My sump is in the basement so I had head pressure to factor in and I think I could have gone from a Jabao 6000 DC pump to one or two sizes bigger. It would be nice to eliminate the powerhead in the display to just a low profile dual return nozzle. Other than that I am content.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 25 yrs I'm doing it again, what's different this time is a little technology, the internet and as lot of folks with practical experience who freely offer help.
What I'm doing differently, I am taking my time. I started a few months ago and I am a week or so from splash down.
I have been reading as much as I can about: lighting, par, nitrite and Phosphate minimums, dry rock cycles just to name a few things oh and building and properly using CO2.

Again, I knew the fundamentals but the hobby has become for lack of a better term In home marine biologists!!!

Getting there!!!

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have corner overflows if I did it
again. 20 something years ago I went from a 18” deep 75 to a 24” deep 120 thinking that would help deal with the problem. Then a few years ago went from that to a 36” deep 200 gallon thinking the same thing but got the same result. I still don’t like the corner overflow. Maybe if I went 4 ft deep though...

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty happy with what I have but it has taken time. However I am upgrading and have taken into account things that I would change. Larger, External overflow , Lots more time on aquascape till I get it to what I want . Lighting not going to try to just get by. Long cycle . Full controller . DO NOT RUSH and take my time and enjoy.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In progress of prepping for a new build... received the macroalgae and ordered a new light today. The important factors to me were width and depth. It was never about gallons to me but more specifically, how natural can I make the environment for the fish to swim and can I reach the dang bottom?!! Maybe that is a non-issue for some but my neck and back do not do well tinkering over ladders and stools.
Long term, I hope to move someplace that afford the luxury of building it into a fish room, so it is framed into the wall. For now... the new build is taking shape.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makin’ The Change: Twenty gallon long, twenty more gallons of live sand, new HOB protein skimmer, new rock, new bottles, new HOB filter.

Back