If you own a saltwater mixing station, please share your pictures & ideas?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions setting up my station. I have 2 horizontal 35 gallon tanks. I only want to mix the amount of saltwater needed. What do you do about the couple gallons that don’t drain out?
Also for guys with horizontal tanks like the norwesco how do you mix your salt? There are a lot of places for salt to get stuck where the legs are molded.
If plumb to sump how do you drain your hoses?

scline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my mixing station, using an Iwaki MD-40RT pump. Just tested today that the pump is powerful enough to push/pull water to a tank inside (using a 50ft hose) and another upstairs ~15ft up. This should make water changes much easier :p

The containers are 275 gallon totes I found on craigslist for about 100 bucks each, including delivery.

IMG_2754.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

GrnMitsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scline - love the setup! can you share where you got the adapters for the totes to the plumbing? I would like to build something similar.

jmccown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone utilize an outdoor water mixing station? I'm pressed on garage space but do have an ideal area outside that I could make a nice mixing station. Alabama has a pretty warm climate.

scline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@scline - love the setup! can you share where you got the adapters for the totes to the plumbing? I would like to build something similar.

The seller had the fittings and I purchased them from him for $10 each. He got them from some plumbing supply store, mentioned they are somewhat hard to locate. On Amazon, I found a few.

1000L IBC Tank Adaptor Fittings Garden Hose Fitting 2Inch Buttress Female To 3/4Inch NPT Male Adaptor Tap 3/4"
https://www.amazon.com/Adaptor-Fitt...d=1535753019&sr=8-7&keywords=Buttress+2"+3/4" for 3/4" PVC thread

Banjo TA283 Polypropylene Tank Fitting, 2" Buttress x 2" Male NPT Threads with Gasket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0079JTHXG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for 2" PVC thread "
(feel free to remove links if they are not allowed)

scline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone utilize an outdoor water mixing station? I'm pressed on garage space but do have an ideal area outside that I could make a nice mixing station. Alabama has a pretty warm climate.
I originally stored and mixed water outdoors in Las Vegas, NV (gets 115+ F). While it worked fine, during the hot days I would iether do very small water changes to not rais the temperature of the tanks or have to pump water to Brute trashcan and let it sit inside for a few hours to cool down. Made mixing salt easier due to the warm/hot water :p

I would be more concerned about freezing temperatures in the winter if you get that cold.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice setup. The only thing I don't like about those containers is that it is difficult to scrub the inside to keep them clean. Salt mixes can leave a residue and I like to give my drums a good scrubbing once a year. This video provides details on my system but there is certainly more then one way to skin this cat and I am really diggin' the setup you posted!

I like those containers. Where can you buy them? Are the tops tight fitting?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.usplastic.com/

55 Gallon Polyethylene Tank - 22" Diameter x 34-1/2" High

Lids - “Standard Cover for 45 Gallon Tapered Tank” - they fit nice and snug.

They are about the same price as the vertical rotomold of the same size. It is nice that the entire lid comes off and you can clean them out.

cunninghamT1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very nice setup. The only thing I don't like about those containers is that it is difficult to scrub the inside to keep them clean. Salt mixes can leave a residue and I like to give my drums a good scrubbing once a year. This video provides details on my system but there is certainly more then one way to skin this cat and I am really diggin' the setup you posted!

good sharing, thanks

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pump from my basement to my sump upstairs. No bucket carrying. There is a drain next to the sump too, so I can pump directly from the sump without bucket carrying there too.

95fd324bb570bf9df0374c7d1cc52a1b.jpg
Can you please tell me where you got those water containers for RO/DI and which model it is if you know it?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the plumbing and pumps do you have to worry about stagnant water?
I’m sure some water can’t be drained?

OP
OP
FLSharkvictim

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow some of these are great. I need to set mine up again soon which is just two 55 gal food grade barrels. I had it just set up where I manually moved the water from barrel to barrel and into a bucket to move.
My plan is to now set them up in the garage with the RO/DI barrel setup higher to drain into the saltwater mixing/holding tank which will be set up with a pump to a hose for transfer to the tank as needed. I may try to pump the RO/DI into the hose also. Based off the 120 gal turtle tank I have set up in the house which is in a hotter area of the house and the water evaporation is about 5 gals every three-four days it will not be hard to top off the tank as needed. I will post as I set it up. Thank you for the great ideas I hope to be able to use them
------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my revised Mixing station, since I had to make a few changes for my new SCA 150 build! I just need to finish up my cable management so you will not see any wires, I WILL be good to go.
As far as my main pump I went with a Reef Oct Varios4 PUMP TO mix my water to switch over from one barrel to the other!

Equipment Used:
All Blue PVC pipe 3/4''
All Sch 80 Plumbing parts
5 Cepex Ball Valves
25 gallon Barrels:
ReefOcto Varios4 pump
InkBird Temp Controller
Pinpoint Salinity Monitor
GHL MaxiSA doser for the AWCs.
BRS 6 Stage RODI Incl 2 membranes
Reef Octo Varois4 RETURN PUMP.
bOOSTER PUMP 3/4

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.28.13 PM.png

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back