Ill Fitting Brute Lid

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

In my basement, I have a 40Gal grey Brute that I mix my salt in. I keep it mixing with a tiny pump at the bottom and heated to about 82º all the time. Naturally, there's evaporation at the water surface, and when it hits the 60º lid, the water condenses.

Unfortunately, the water doesn't always drip back into the Brute. The lid doesn't make a water tight seal on the can, and I get a fairly regular drip on the outside lip of the lid.

My thoughts go to weather stripping around the Brute can lip, but I figure that would contaminate my water. I'm just blanking on reef safe solutions. Any thoughts on what I can use to make it stop dripping?

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Brute lid snaps on. But if yours doesn’t, try putting something of weight around the perimeter on TOP of the lid to hold it tight

OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Brute lid snaps on. But if yours doesn’t, try putting something of weight around the perimeter on TOP of the lid to hold it tight
The lid snaps on, at the barrel handles, but the perimeter around the top of the barrel isn't water tight. The lid is also not flat (A bit domed, which is likely why the water is dripping to the outer edge) so anything on top of the perimeter slides off.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Maybe I could find a way to push the top down so instead of rolling to the sides, the water would roll to a lower point in the middle and just drip back into the barrel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back