IM 10 Nuvo Reef

anizato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what's up everybody?

I am restarting my reeftank. We recently moved and took advantage of revamping everything. I had algae problems in the previous house, I think I had poor water problems with my RODI at the previous house.

Anyway. We are restarting. Very exciting times. Nothing like starting a reef tank, you get to feel like a child all over again.

The plan for this tank is to mainly be an anemone/maxima clam/monti/mushroom tank. I am also considering placing GSP on the back panel with an assortment of monti's shelving out. Other coral will simply be testers or fillers, open for suggestions also.
As for fish. I was thinking: One Onyx clownfish (I already have), and maybe a goby/pistol shrimp pair. Open to suggestions for any other creatures.
I had a crab from the previous tank, he's been in the bucket with the fish for about 15 days now. Both seem well and thriving, eating that's for sure.

SETUP:

TANK: Innovative Marine Nuvo 10Gal Fusion (purchased from BRS in 2016)
SUN: AI Prime HD 16 (re-purchased BRS 2021, original purchase 2016)
HEATER: 50W Easy-Therm Submersible Heater (purchased BRS 2016)
RETURN PUMP: SICCE Syncra Nano Pump (110 GPH) (purchased BRS 2021)
POWERHEAD: Ecotech Marine VorTech MP1w ES (purchased BRS 2016)
ATO: AutoAqua Smarto ATO Micro (purchased BRS 2016)
OTHER:
Two Little Fishies Ball Valve 1/2"
BRS 6 Stage Chloramines DELUXE RO/DI System 150GPD (purchased BRS 2014)
Dr. Tim's One & Only
Fritz #9 Live Nytrifying Bacteria
Fritz RPM Salt Mix

Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 75-77F

13FF4A93-E72D-46A9-9F22-9E3741482365.JPG
736FBC8E-4A21-42AA-A8F7-6AA8E42DFE79 (1).JPG
28290712-7C9E-44FE-AD44-97E564B227CC.JPG
IMG_8049.jpg
IMG_8283.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8272.MOV
    68.4 MB
OP
OP
anizato

anizato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clown is so cute! Definitely following.
Thank you! HE is an Onyx Ocellaris. VERY territorial. This guys has a story of his own.

I had an even more beautiful, larger female for 5 years before I had him. Then I added this one, he was dominated for 2 years. I guess he had enough one day? I got a call from my wife while I was at work, she noticed he was attacking her, and just a few hours later she called sobbing asking me what to do. I had to tell her to remove it before it poisoned the entire tank. She'll never forgive me for that... but she knows it wasn't my fault, just nature being natural.

Anyway, as rare a behavior as this is, he has been a widower for 2.5 years now. I've had him for a long time. Trying to sell him, I want to go another route with this build.

Last edited:

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! HE is an Onyx Ocellaris. VERY territorial. This guys has a story of his own.

I had an even more beautiful, larger female for 5 years before I had him. Then I added this one, he was dominated for 2 years. I guess he had enough one day? I got a call from my wife while I was at work, she noticed he was attacking her, and just a few hours later she called sobbing asking me what to do. I had to tell her to remove it before it poisoned the entire tank. She'll never forgive me for that... but she knows it wasn't my fault, just nature being natural.

Anyway, as rare a behavior as this is, he has been a widower for 2.5 years now. Lonely fish. Just angry for being alone I guess, nice and fat and always feisty and hungry AF.
I added some peppermint shrimp to the previous build and I never saw them again.

To THIS build, (little spoiler)

I added some Sexy Shrimp, FIVE of them. The next morning, all of them in the filter sock. I waiter for night time and released them all back into the display, got a fish guard to stop them from getting INTO the sock anymore and they are nowhere to be seen.
I am convinced this ******* ate them all. He's pretty, but he has to be kept alone, since I want more fish, I might have to surrender him sadly. Maybe sell him online?
Yikes! That's an interesting story. The pep shrimp is weird... they will only eat things that can fit into their mouth. Is it possible you had a predatory worm or something?

OP
OP
anizato

anizato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, hope the weekend was good

I will be doing a 3 Gallon water change today. My alk has improved, it is now at 8.8dKH and my phosphorus is still a bit high @ 41ppb (0.126ppm phosphate) so I still have to bring that down a tad, or no?

I can't believe a single clownfish can produce so much phosphate. I feed once every three days. I am hoping the addition of coral will bring the rest of the phosphorus down below 30ppb. But I will keep monitoring every other day. If I can't bring it down with tomorrow's WC then I will probably do another one on Wednesday instead of waiting all the way to next Monday.

corales15.jpg

I actually snuk into my LFS two days ago to take advantage of their Memorial Deals, I wasn't expecting to buy anything but I couldn't resist the good prices on such good pieces, so I just wanted to take a look.

After a second walk around the store, I had seen this Nice Torch for a steal, a second time around and it was still there, I HAD to pounce... it was meant to be mine... you know how it is.

corales13.jpg

corales14.jpg

Indo Torch day 1 - YOUTUBE VIDEO

OP
OP
anizato

anizato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Moved some things around. A few little additions.

I forget the name of this SPS but she really likes it in here. Yellow base with red polyps.

coralito3.jpg
coralito2.jpg

This lepto was hating it in my tank, but it seems to be coming back.

coralito4.jpg

Moved the white Goni to the opposite side of the tank, she seems happy under the MP10 flow.

coralito5.jpg

Acans are starting to fatten up.

coralito6.jpg

The torch is super happy, can't wait to see this guy grow out and start to take over the tank.
The hammer is still ticked but I have hopes for its recovery.
The green Goni is starting to show off its full extension. I know I have to move the Goni away from the Hammer.
coralito8.jpg

coralito7.jpg

The utter chaos zoas still haven't opened up fully. You can kinda see the orange skirt, but its been hiding since day 1.

coralito10.jpg
The yellow goni is extending fully. The mummy eye chalice is starting to color up and show sings of growth.

The two zoas in the bottom are looking very good as well. The yellow one came with a desire to multiply. I can already see its baby's heads.

coralito11.jpg
This is supposed to be a Jawbreaker mushroom, but well as you can see, it looks like a dark black spec. LOL

coralito12.jpg

The blue zoas are happy also.

Attachments

• coralito9.jpg
    coralito9.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 2
  • coralito13.jpg
    coralito13.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 5

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back