IM 15 Cube - Rookie Build Thread

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Getting back into the hobby after about 20 years - (I last maintained a tank for a marine biology class back in high school).

Picked up the IM 15 Cube (basic package with the filer sock and tiny pump) and added a few upgrades to my set up.
- Built a home water station for RODI and Salt mixes (2 - Brute 20 gallon cans with RODI on top and salt mix on the bottom). RODI is plumbed from a nearby laundry room slop sink w/ float and auto cutoff (although I am not relying on it).
- Added IM filter caddie (not yet installed) / dual return jets / rock rubble to void under second chamber / Jerepet 800gph adjustable pump / Hygger 100w thermometer

Inside the tank:
- Liferock dry rock
- CaribSea special grade sand
- Added IM filter caddie (not yet installed) / dual return jets / rock rubble into void under second chamber / Jerepet 800gph adjustable pump / Hygger 100w thermometer
-Jerepet 800 seems like it may be too strong, so I ordered their 520gph version and will likely throw the 800gph as the recirc pump in my water station. They adjust from 100% down to 30%, but even on the lowest setting the 800gph is humming a ~240gph and the rear chamber seems like it is pumping out faster than it can flow back in
- Not sure what to do what that second (middle) chamber right now - park some additional rubble in there maybe?

Stand:
- Amazon special (hat tip to @doubleshot00 for the tip) -
- I sawed some holes in the back of this and added rubber grommets so that I could feed the power strip / pump & heater control boxes inside and Velcro them to the inside bulkhead.

Lighting:
- Seems like I have a month or two before I need to worry about that, but I am starting with the NooPsyche K7 Mini: seems like there is a fan base on here and it wasnt cost prohibitive. My initial thought was an AI Prime 16 all the way, but I am reading wayyy too many cases of the lenses and diodes melting.

Plan:
- Right now working on a fishless cycle with Turbostart/ Dr Tims OaO
- Start with a pair of clowns. I have a 3 and 6 year old (who this tank is actually for) that adore them. Will allow that to stabilize for a month or so before deciding on what is next. The idea of a Gobi/Shrimp pair sounds kind of cool, but I'm open to suggestions - looking for things the kids will thing is cool. Will likely have a CUC in time with some snails and hermits if/when needed. As for corals - I want to keep it basic as I'd rather start with easier species and graduate over time. So over the summer maybe some zoas (you'll see I left two islands on purpose for these guys - planning ahead!!) and if I get a feeling I am halfway decent at maintaining this nano reef - I may venture into a torch or frogspawn for the movement and colors. I say all this now knowing that the things I will learn over the next few months/ years will likely be having me change my mind 100 times over ;)

Always love the feedback / tutelage / wisdom of those who know more (which is literally all of you right now.)

Thanks all!

Mixing station.jpeg Stand.jpg Tank.jpg

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - Cycled the ammonia down to zero. Ready for our first inhabitants.

Also -
- Added ATO today (MagTool ATO)
- New Jerepet pump came today. It's pretty loud - very audible hum... Ive seen folks say Sicce 1.5 and Jebao 1500 are fairly quiet. May try to return the Jerepet and pick up one of the above.
- Still noodling on second chamber of the built in sump - maybe a skimmer after we get livestock going? Saw a thread about a refugium back there - but A) is it really big enough for that? B) is it the most bang for my buck in that area on in a nano?

Either way.... So Excited!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - Cycled the ammonia down to zero. Ready for our first inhabitants.

Also -
- Added ATO today (MagTool ATO)
- New Jerepet pump came today. It's pretty loud - very audible hum... Ive seen folks say Sicce 1.5 and Jebao 1500 are fairly quiet. May try to return the Jerepet and pick up one of the above.
- Still noodling on second chamber of the built in sump - maybe a skimmer after we get livestock going? Saw a thread about a refugium back there - but A) is it really big enough for that? B) is it the most bang for my buck in that area on in a nano?

Either way.... So Excited!!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

100% recommend the sicce 1.5. I never used the stock pump on my IM15 I had a few year old 1.5 i cleaned up and put in the back and it is DEAD silent. Got the dual nozzle from IM and im in love. The overflow makes more noise.

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for posterity -

Fishless cycle of tank was completed in 96 hours. I used 1oz of Turbo Start and a 2oz bottle of Dr Tim's One and Only - I decided to use both in the name of bio-diversity amirght? Figured I'd created my own blend of bacteria. Not sure if I wasted $15 or not but thought I'd do it in the name of science :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dosed the tank to 2ppm ammonia - took ~48 to get down to 0.0ppm. Nitrites spiked to over 5ppm (that was as high as the test would go) and by hour 96 the nitrites were <0.5ppm and nitrates are now detectable in the system as well in the ~ 5ppm area. Additional NH3 was dosed and cleared with 24 hours as a test (all tested with API)

AgentKooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching your thread. Your setup looks good. I'm currently cycling a 13.5-gallon after 10 years without a tank. I'm on day 12 of a fishless cycle. Yours went fast!

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching your thread. Your setup looks good. I'm currently cycling a 13.5-gallon after 10 years without a tank. I'm on day 12 of a fishless cycle. Yours went fast!
Awesome!! I was *this* close to getting the Fluval myself!! I'll look for your build thread.

I agree with you on the speed - I was shocked myself, I was planning on a few weeks. I charted my readings for anyone that wants to see them. All were taken roughly 12 hours apart.
1671753748914.png

LFS by me has some gorgeous orange snowflake clowns. Hoping they're still there when I go!!

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the two clowns I was looking at - they’re loving their new home. They worried me a bit the first few days because they didn’t eat much - but a quick forum search reassured me that this is normal behavior. After about 2-3 days they were eating like champs!

Now when I come near the tank they swim to the surface waiting for those shrimp :)

update on the pump: got the Sicce 1.5, works like a champ! I had to dial the flow down a bit because the return chamber was pumping out faster than it could refill, but after some fine tuning we are rocking and rolling.

ATO is also set up and humming along - I wound up feeding it to a rectangular 0.7Gal dosing tank I found on Amazon. Works perfectly!

0CE0DD96-6C61-48C6-8E5D-3A109239143B.jpeg

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Update:

Added a cleaner shrimp this week - his personality immediately made me appreciate the addition. This little dude is hilarious. He is camped out on a rock and desperately wants to clean the clowns (who by the way want nothing to do with him). It reminds me of perfume salespeople at a dept store....

Clowns have been healthy and happy. The male had some strange behavior once I started acclimating them to the lighting - I added a K7 mini and have been slowly ramping the intensity and duration of the light little by little. He would lay on the bottom of the tank when he thought nobody was looking, and as soon as anyone walked by he would perk up and act "normal" = swimming, eating like hog, exploring. He initially worried me a little and I was checking parameters constantly, added a wood air block to the sump, and even purchased an O2 test kit just to be sure (ended up there was plenty of o2 all along).

Turns out that maybe the initial lack of a light had his days and nights messed up? I'm not sure but he's doing it less and less now.

Anyway - I am going to try adding some pods next week as one of my ugly stage prophylactics, and start to work some basic dosing to slowly increase parameters for optimal coral growth in the future. More to come!

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding some tank readings for the Hanna Monitoring System contest:
Temp: 77.8 - Inkbird
PH: 7.8 - API
Salinity: 1.025 - refractometer

OP
OP
ScurvyFrog

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a year in and what a great time this has been…

Started slowly adding some corals over the summer and finally got my last few in this past week. Time to settle in and watch it all grow.

Parameters have stayed pretty steady throughout. I run carbon and GFO in the media basket, and dosed 5ml/day All for Reef. Water changes have been 20% every 1-2 weeks.

Tank now has 2 clowns, copepods, various species of snails, 2 Halloween hermits, and a tiger conch. Corals range from torches, gonis, zoas, 2 scolys and a few acans. Excited to see the grow out!

Would love any feedback that is out there - always looking for opinions and constructive criticism. I’m still a rookie after all!

Next foray may be into some automation to protect the coral investment - any good entry level controllers with PH/Salinity that have remote alerts?

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpeg
    IMG_5921.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5981.jpeg
    IMG_5981.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5985.jpeg
    IMG_5985.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5983.jpeg
    IMG_5983.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 30

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back