Im 25 lagoon setup help

MaLeX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just recently bought someone's used setup it came fully dry and all the equipment in the box so this will be the first time I have a to cycle a reef (my evo was bought wet) so I don't really know where to start with that too what do I use to start it off. do I need all the equipment turned off, but the pump. how long does it have to run before I can have my corals in there and is there any way to try preventing algae growth in the beginning. any help on how to setup the tank too will be welcome what to use and where to put it in the tank or any extra I need to buy.
Equipment in box:
intank media basket (what to use on each level)
Ai prime
activated carbon
aqua Sheild uv steriliser
ai wave maker
im ghost skimmer
tmc ato
purgen
phosguard
heaters

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just recently bought someone's used setup it came fully dry and all the equipment in the box so this will be the first time I have a to cycle a reef (my evo was bought wet) so I don't really know where to start with that too what do I use to start it off. do I need all the equipment turned off, but the pump. how long does it have to run before I can have my corals in there and is there any way to try preventing algae growth in the beginning. any help on how to setup the tank too will be welcome what to use and where to put it in the tank or any extra I need to buy.
Equipment in box:
intank media basket (what to use on each level)
Ai prime
activated carbon
aqua Sheild uv steriliser
ai wave maker
im ghost skimmer
tmc ato
purgen
phosguard
heaters

Welcome! Glad you joined. CONGRATULATIONS on scoring a great deal! You still have to get the ammonia > nitrite > nitrate cycle going and then get your parameters stable... there's a zillion ways to go - from a left over shrimp from your dinner (rinse off sauce lol) to bottled cycle starts, live rock etc etc ... and if you're really concerned about algae, start with lights off while you cycle.

'start where you are, use what you have, do what you can.' - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). No time is too early!

This might help you find people local to you in UK:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 lagoon myself that's been running for a bit now. Awesome tank for sure!
For your questions:
  • Cycling
    • I used Dr. Tims One and Only for my lagoon and followed the schedule by dosing ammonia. I recently used Fritz turbo start 900 though on a little 3 gallon in my kitchen and I honestly think it is an immediate cycle. The ammonia I dosed seems like it's getting processed very quickly.
  • Do I need all the equipment turned off, but the pump
    • Pumps on, skimmer and lights off at the start.
  • How long does it have to run before I can have my corals in there
    • After the cycle you can add corals relatively quickly, but I would personally wait a few months after the cycle and fish are in if you're doing LPS or SPS. Softies I'd be comfortable adding immediately after the cycle. I'd probably buy one or two with my first fish even excluding fancy zoas and the like.
  • Is there any way to try preventing algae growth in the beginning
    • I tried to avoid algae by avoiding the introduction in the first place. I still ended up with some kind of stringy chrysophytes (not sure I'm identifying it right, but it isn't hair algae or dinos). I used AquaForest Life Source mud and bottled bacterias. Broke my coral off the frag plug and dipped. Dry rock and sand. I don't think there's much avoiding it outside of being meticulous with introductions, or front-loading predators for algae and other uglies. Even then there's a chance.
  • Any help on how to setup the tank
    • Big one to remember is to keep your heater out of the chamber with your return pump. If your ATO runs dry your return chamber will have a lower water level and can expose the heater to air.
    • If you can, get a heater controller. I have the inkbird. Functions as a thermometer and thermostat for your tank with a handy digital display.
    • Leave the UV sterilizer out of the tank until you're done cycling and when you dose other bacterias.
    • Skimmer is designed to go in the chamber between the overflow and the return. Set the rubber band low on the cup so the cup sits higher on the skimmer while you're breaking it in, then dial it in after.
      • Add this after your cycle is done and turn off when dosing other bacteria in bottle if you decide to. Mine is on 24/7 for the most part.
    • Definitely use the intank media basket. They're great.
      • Filter floss or quilt batting on top, carbon in the middle rack, phosguard/purigen on the bottom when you need it. I'd leave it out in the beginning though so you can dial in your maintenance as you add fish. If numbers creep up on you after a while, don't be scared to use either of them though.
    • I really enjoyed smashing some marco rock and building a structure in the tank. Look around at other people's builds and find something that you like and you think will work with the coral you plan on getting. I'll shamelessly add that clicking my "Build Thread Contributor" badge will take you to my tank if you'd like to look at it. Not impressive yet, but you're welcome to ask questions about it if you have any.
Can't really recommend anything else to add to the tank outside of rock and livestock. You got a pretty complete setup there. Looking forward to seeing your build thread if you decide to make one!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back