IM 40 Lighting Options

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have a well-established IM Nuvo 40 that is predominately LPS/Softies with a clam and some RBTAs. I have had a Chinese LED fixture over it for the past few years and it's decent, but I would like to upgrade. Historically, I bought a Halo pendant, but didn't like the coverage (the corners of the table were too dim and there was a lot of shadowing). I switched back to my old fixture and sold that one.

I was looking for an affordable lighting option, as my wife gave me a budget. Last week I purchased a AI Prime HD, which I was reassured by the guy @MarineDepot would be sufficient for my tank and me wanting to try some SPS corals towards the top of the tank. I love the light, however, there is significant shading with it. I thought about adding a few T5s to it, but then I would need to build a canopy to hide them and I would be sinking more money into that, when another fixture may be a better option.

Does anyone have any recommendations on reasonably priced fixtures or a hybrid? I also considered switching to halide/t5 combo, as I can get a reasonably priced fixture, but thought it would be over kill for my tank and the energy consumption wouldn't be worth it.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a second ai prime? I think you'll find all puck lights to cause significant shading though. So a hybrid option is solid but there are no cheap, off the shelf options I'm aware of.

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not a second ai prime? I think you'll find all puck lights to cause significant shading though. So a hybrid option is solid but there are no cheap, off the shelf options I'm aware of.
I'm currently in the same boat with my nuvo 40 and kessil 360 which is a great light but getting too much shadowing on acros. I went the t5 route because I can build a canopy for cheap. I really thought about going with the Photon V2 from ReefBreeders. You'll hear a lot of good things about it on this site. Especially, from Adam @ BattleCorals who has amazing looking corals IMO.

OP
OP
BJEDVM13

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I thought about two primes, but then figured I would've been better off going the Maxspect Ethereal route (as the price would be similar). I'm going to look into the Photon V2 as well! I'm thinking about retrofitting T5s as well, though I would have to find the time!

Sunshine22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A360 may be a good option, step above the 160 and should cover the areas a 160 might not quite get. also plenty of power to stock whatever corals you may be interested in keeping.

OP
OP
BJEDVM13

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A360 may be a good option, step above the 160 and should cover the areas a 160 might not quite get. also plenty of power to stock whatever corals you may be interested in keeping.

Thanks! I considered the Kessil 360 too. Since I had already purchased and used (meaning I couldn't send it back), the AI Prime HD I decided to use my black box LED's as supplements, in lieu of having to retrofit T5's. It has actually turned out quite nice and the corals/anemones seem to love it!

Sunshine22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See i Just aquired a MR Aqua 22 Long and I may go the t5 route too just to avoid spending 700 bucks to light a 22 gallon tank with kessils as nice as that would look. Good Luck. post pics as soon as you get it all figured out. I love t5 but bulb replacement is kind of a pain.

OP
OP
BJEDVM13

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got some photos. I would like to make a rail unit to make it more stable and aesthetically pleasing, but that will have to wait as I am too busy to do so!

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back