I'm a bad reefkeeper. Looking for help to not be one.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after a year of frustration and struggles and wasted money, I am forced to admit something that pains me to admit.

I am a bad reefkeeper. And I would like to not be one. But I don't know where the problem is. Is it the gear? Is it something else? Is it me? (It's probably me). So in the hopes of not being a bad reefkeeper at some point in the future, I am once again asking for your help. But not your donations.

So, first, the barebones facts of the tank. It's a Red Sea Reefer 350 (so 73 gallon display, 18 gallon sump). This incarnation of the tank has been running since about December of last year. Most of the rocks, however, came over from my previous tank, a 55-gallon tank with a Trigger Crystal 30 sump. That tank ran for a little under three years, and was initially seeded with some rocks from my original Biocube 29 that I started back in 2009. All of the rocks currently in the tank are Marco Dry Rocks, seeded both from the older tanks and with MicroBacter.

For lighting, I have a pair of Radion XR15 Gen4 fixtures in an Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid 48" fixture (2x ATI Blue Plus, 1x ATI Coral Plus, 1x ATI Purple Plus). The T5 bulbs are on for 7 hours a day (1 PM to 8 PM), and the Radeons run at full power for 10 hours (12 PM to 10 PM) before going into moonlights (1% power, blue only) until 12 PM the next day. My protein skimmer is a Red Sea RSK-300, and I run a CO2 scrubber on it to keep my PH up - without the scrubber, it can drop down to 7.7 or even lower overnight. Heating is a pair of titanium heater, controlled by a BRS heater controller and my Apex EL, so two layers of redundancy to keep the temperature between 77 and 78 degrees.

The front chamber of the sump is a chaeto refugium, using a Tunze 8831 submersible light. I usually harvest a softball-sized chaeto ball every week. I have about 3-4 quarts of Marine Pure spheres in the sump as well. I don't run any filter socks, in its place I have two filter cups; one holds some of the Marine Pure spheres, the other has a bag of activated carbon and a bag of Cuprisorb. The plumbing in my house leeches trace amounts of copper into my RO/DI water, even when my TDS meter shows 0, so I run Cuprisorb regularly to filter out those trace amounts before they can build up. Before I discovered that issue, the copper was able to build up to detectable amounts while I was running my 55g tank, and it did cause some losses. All water is RO/DI, and I keep it topped off with a Tunze Ozmolator 3155.

For flow in the tank, I have a Neptune WAV pump and a Maxspect XF250, both set on Random modes. Total movement within the tank is about 3500 gph, and through the sump it's about 750 gph with a Reef Octopus Varios 2.

I run three Kamoer X1 dosing pumps, dosing BRS pharmaceutical-grade Calcium Chloride, Soda Ash and Magnesium. I have a Trident on my system, so I adjust my dosing based on my results to try and stay within acceptable parameters. Speaking of, my current parameters are:

PH: 8.0-8.2 (fluctuates throughout the day)
ALK: 10.15 dKh
CA: 427 ppm
MG: 1411
Nitrate: Below 4 ppm as of two days ago.

In terms of feeding and general husbandry, I run an autofeeder on my tank that feeds a small amount of about 5 different types of pellets, 3 times a day. Currently feeding Hikari Marine S, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, PE Mysis Pellets, TDO Chroma Boost, New Life Spectrum Probiotix... I think that's it, though I might be forgetting one. I'll also feed LRS Reef Frenzy about 2-3 times a week, and I've recently started giving a sheet or two of nori per week. I feed my corals when I feed Reef Frenzy, so about 2-3 times a week. For water changes, I do a 10% change every two weeks, using Tropic Marin Pro salt.

For livestock, I have:

• Tomini Tang
  • Pink Skunk clownfish
  • Springeri Damsel
  • Elegant Firefish
  • Forktail Blenny
In the cleanup crew, there's an assortment of turbos, cerith, nerite, nassarius, one or two hermits, a couple of small conches, some cowries, and a couple of pincushion urchins. There are various other hangers-on that have arrived in the tank. There are some, flatworms, chitons and starfish that have hitchhiked in; I think they're subsisting off of algae, as I see them on the glass all the time but have never seen them on a living coral. And there are almost no pods that I can see in either my refugium or my display, despite adding a jar of pods every 6-8 weeks.

And so for my problems: Pretty much everything.

First of all, I can't keep more than the five fish alive. Just in the past year I've lost a diamond sand sifter, a blue mandarin, an exquisite wrasse, a ruby fin fairy wrasse, a Bartlett's anthias, a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse, a chalk basslet and a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. I haven't observed anything above an occasional half-hearted chase from either the clown or the tang; 99% of the time, the fish (including the newest addition) coexist peacefully. All of the fish, with the exception of the mandarin (which I knew was a gamble going into it), have been eating. There were no signs of disease on any of the fish before they died, and none of the five that have stuck around have exhibited any signs of disease. So I'm not sure what's been happening with the fish.

Second, most corals don't last long. In almost all cases, the pattern is the same: The coral goes into the tank. Within days, flesh begins to recede. Coloration fades and bare skeleton begins appearing. Springs of slimy, cyano-like algae begin covering the coral. And then there's nothing left. Some corals have survived; I have about six colonies of zoas that seem to be doing OK, though certainly not really growing either. There are 3-4 colonies of acan lords that have persisted with regular feedings, though again, not really growing. There's a toadstool leather that is doing fine. A couple of goniopora colonies that are doing alright. There's a blasto colony that did well for about a month, but it's currently in the process of dying. A couple of chalice corals that were doing fine, but have recently started both experiencing the same pattern. I had three torch corals and a frogspawn, but the frogspawn melted off of its skeleton three days after coming into the tank, and one of the torches recently did the same after having been in the tank for about 3 months. And a whole mess of acropora, montipora, bird's nests, porites and similar corals that begin with that pattern within 3 days of entering the tank.

Finally, the sand is hideous. It's constantly covered in red slime, ranging from a thin layer to a thick mat. The only time it's gone away was when I had my sand sifter. I vacuum the sand whenever I do a water change, and I've had the powerheads angled down towards the sandbed to try and keep the sand agitated and prevent the mat's growth, but that does nothing. I could use Chemiclean and I'm sure that would work, but in the past whenever I've used it it's led to a bryopsis outbreak... fluconozale then knocks out the bryopsis, but then the cyano comes back. So I end up right where I started, not really addressing the root cause (whatever that might be).

I'm just about at my wit's end with this. I've spent probably close to $1,500 in livestock over the past year, and more than 2/3 of that is now buried in my yard or sitting as skeletal remains. I'm not planning to get out of the hobby or anything - I've been doing this for almost 12 years at this point, and I love having a tank - but I'd really like to be carefully cultivating a beautiful thriving reef rather than constantly pruning out dead things and feeling like a failure because another fish died. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no such thing as a bad reefer, just varying degrees of experience.
While you have described in detail your situation, I can’t find any mention of Temp, Salinity and Phosphate, which are all very important.

Can you include these things so we can start to rule out what it’s not?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is happening to you. Hopefully we can find some answers.

Let's start with basics. How did you come to find out about the copper? Copper test?
Most reefers have copper pipe in their homes.

I would recommend a ICP test of your water to get a good idea of what's in there. You could have contamination.

Do you test for P04? Need to know what it is, as it could contribute to the cyanobacteria issues your having.

Coral deaths could be numerous things, Light intensity, lack of nutrients, water contamination....etc.

On the fish death, what's your acclimation process when you buy them and they go into your tank. With that said, do you quarantine them?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always the solution is gas exchange and biology.

No one likes this solution and even when faced with complete defeat (as I was) will they except this simple to understand solution (less so to implement). There will be many that disagree. I have seen them come and I have seen them go, but that is what it takes to succeed.

Been there done that. Hope you can see and understand the simplicity of the solution.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always the solution is gas exchange and biology.

No one likes this solution and even when faced with complete defeat (as I was) will they except this simple to understand solution (less so to implement). There will be many that disagree. I have seen them come and I have seen them go, but that is what it takes to succeed.

Been there done that. Hope you can see and understand the simplicity of the solution.
Well that was insightful! :rolleyes: When do you instruct in the proper ways of accomplishing what it is you talk about?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was insightful! :rolleyes: When do you instruct in the proper ways of accomplishing what it is you talk about?
Funny how you have a hospitality tag. It always seems that way.

Perhaps if the OP is interested in what I have to say they will respond. If not then no further action required on my part. I can see several issues that could be problems, but if I speak people like you will mob me so my solution is this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alk, mag and Nitrate high. Salinity /temp not mentioned.

Alk 8-9
temp 77-79
mag 1300
salinity 1.025
CA 450
nitrate .03
Ammoni .02
ph 8.1 - 8.3

What test kits are you using?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how you have a hospitality tag. It always seems that way.

Perhaps if the OP is interested in what I have to say they will respond. If not then no further action required on my part. I can see several issues that could be problems, but if I speak people like you will mob me so my solution is this.
Gas exchange and biology? I was just looking for an explanation of what this means to you. You say it’s an easy concept but hard to implement so I was digging for more info.
Maybe not the best way to word what I felt and I apologize for offending you. Care to explain?

OP
OP
Biokabe

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics for those who requested them:

Here's the FTS. Every coral above the toadstool in the center is dead.

FTS 1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the left-hand side in front of the rockwork there. The bright white skeleton with the snail on it was one of my torches until about a week ago.

Goni Rock 2.jpg

Here's the sand bed to the right of it, with my clam and one of the tiny starfish that live in the tank.

Bottom left.jpg

Goni Rock.jpg

Here's the far left side, which is probably where the cyano is worst. I've had the WAV lower in the past, but that didn't seem to have an impact on the cyano... just created a pit in the sandbed near the overflow.

Far Left 2.jpg

Another shot of the far left:

Far Left.jpg

Here's the far right side of the tank, with my Gyre XF250. The white balance of the picture makes it tough to see, but the blasto in this picture is experiencing some very serious tissue recession and will likely be a bare skeleton in a couple of weeks.

Far Right.jpg

A little to the left of that. The two chalices in the back are starting to show some recession towards the front, and the echinata in the sandbed has been hanging on in pretty much the same state for the past 3-4 months.

Mid Right.jpg

Here's the middle of the tank:

Mid Left.jpg

A closer view of the center rock:

Mid.jpg

Here are the flatworms I see occasionally:

Flatworms.jpg

And a close-up of them.

Flatworms Closeup.jpg

The flatworms (at least, I assume that's what they are) don't always show up.

Let me know if there are any other pictures of my shame that would be helpful. I can try fiddling with my phone to get better color fidelity.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a bit curious about the copper. Did you test your RODI? Also, if these are the same rocks you used in you 55gal when you were having this copper issue, I am pretty sure live rock can actually absorb it and leach it back into the water. Im not 100% sure, but im pretty positive I read somewhere that copper treated QT tanks shouldn’t have ceramic based media or live rock. Or at least use new media when not administering copper. Again, I can be mistaken.

At this point I would try an ICP test also.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see quite a bit of cyano.
What is your phosphate and Nitrate levels?
Are you Using RODI or Tap water from faucet ?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think that’s a failure?
NOT.
What I see is a mature tank that certainly has a Cyano problem which may result from an imbalance in nutrients. I can’t tell cause you don’t post phosphate, which in your case is really important.

Cyano, left unchecked, will kill.

So help us help you.
If you can first repost all 8 parameters, how long they have been at the current levels, and what is the daily/weekly flux of those.

Once we have these, we can rule out water. I’d rule that out first.

The copper thing is of some concern, but I see fish, so I’m not sure

I doubt your issue is that severe, it may just be something out of whack.

Certainly, your tank does not look like a bad reefer.....or at least to me.

0552977A-12E7-44F3-A1D3-EDB3BB3BF2A3.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics for those who requested them:

Here's the FTS. Every coral above the toadstool in the center is dead.

FTS 1.jpg

Here's a close-up of the left-hand side in front of the rockwork there. The bright white skeleton with the snail on it was one of my torches until about a week ago.

Goni Rock 2.jpg

Here's the sand bed to the right of it, with my clam and one of the tiny starfish that live in the tank.

Bottom left.jpg

Goni Rock.jpg

Here's the far left side, which is probably where the cyano is worst. I've had the WAV lower in the past, but that didn't seem to have an impact on the cyano... just created a pit in the sandbed near the overflow.

Far Left 2.jpg

Another shot of the far left:

Far Left.jpg

Here's the far right side of the tank, with my Gyre XF250. The white balance of the picture makes it tough to see, but the blasto in this picture is experiencing some very serious tissue recession and will likely be a bare skeleton in a couple of weeks.

Far Right.jpg

A little to the left of that. The two chalices in the back are starting to show some recession towards the front, and the echinata in the sandbed has been hanging on in pretty much the same state for the past 3-4 months.

Mid Right.jpg

Here's the middle of the tank:

Mid Left.jpg

A closer view of the center rock:

Mid.jpg

Here are the flatworms I see occasionally:

Flatworms.jpg

And a close-up of them.

Flatworms Closeup.jpg

The flatworms (at least, I assume that's what they are) don't always show up.

Let me know if there are any other pictures of my shame that would be helpful. I can try fiddling with my phone to get better color fidelity.
Those flatworms appear to be acoel and you need to start siphoning them up ASAP and daily. They are not like red planaria but can and will smother coral blocking light and nutrients to the corals when in numbers.
A 6 lined or lunare wrasse will eat them.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with ICP test to get what is going on in the water. Would also like to know what your PAR is at various parts of the tank. The radeons put a good deal of light out.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd cut the moonlight all night. when it's time to sleep, it's time to sleep.
That’s a valid point.
A normal period of lights out is essential...IMM....corals need to rest their photosynthetic process.

Tip...always put a lot of weight on members with an Reaction Score approaching 77,000.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back