I'm a newbie

wankiercfd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Jon, I'm a Firefighter who somehow finds the $ to maintain a SW tank. I have a 55 gal w/ 30 sump/refugium. Sump= 650gpm aqua medic oceanrunner( i kno it sucs i"m saving for a real inline pump)any suggestions?, Coralife super skimmer, filter sock ( microns way too small, need a new one) 1 lb of carbon changed weekly, rena inline heater( from my old canister set up),drip system, and a CPR 650 overflow. Tank= 100lbs live rock, PC 96watt w 96watt atitic, 2 power heads, 2 maroon clown w bubble tip, coral beauty angle, 8blue legs and 2scarlet crabs, 1 emerald crab. Problems= aiptasia and flat worm way out of control. saving to get sum bugria. I made the stand and top myself and salvaged the display tank from a friend.

thx for setting up this site, it helps out alot.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 136
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 122

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I used to be a firefighter as well! :) Now I am a Pastor and fight the fires of hell! LOL!

meangene267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The burgia will definatly get rid of the apatasia. It takes a couple of monthes before they breed and start eating it all, but then it will be gone for good. The only problem is once the apatasia is gone, the burgia all die cause they have nothing to eat. You will have to find some one else with the same problem and give the burgia to them. I would get a wrasse to take care of the flat worm problems. I had a rainbow wrasse, and trust me there was not 1 single worm alive in that tank, flat or tube or featherduster. Now that I don't have a wrasse I noticed there are all coming back. I hope that helps.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you have a good start. Yeah, the Nudis will take care of the aiptasia, and a wrasse should help with the flatworms. I don't think that the wrasse will eat them all, but it can keep the population in check to the point that you should not notice them. I am not a huge fan of the coralife skimmers-- I had one and was not impressed. I like my EuroReef skimmer for now, but am planning on upgrading soon. Not sure what. There are plenty of threads on here about skimmers. Mojo does a good overview.

Welcome to R2R!! I used to be a firefighter as well! :) Now I am a Pastor and fight the fires of hell! LOL!

Rev you are great.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back