I'm a NYOS Nitrate Test convert!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been struggling to read Salifert Nitrate tests for the past 6-8 months (newbie reefer) since like many I've had trouble differentiating the various color shades. Since it was time for me to reorder, I decided to give Nyos a try. Ran the test tonight and I have to say that I'm making a permanent switch! Much easier to read and the total time is only a couple of minutes more than Salifert.

Just passing along another vote for Nyos.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using nyos nitrate kit only thing is their dropper needs to be redesigned. Also the liquid reagent runs out way faster than the powder reagent, with no reagent refill for sale too. Otherwise performance is great. Can’t wait to see the Hanna nitrate kit

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you find it easier at all ranges or is there a sweet spot that you find it easier to read than the salifert?

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you find it easier at all ranges or is there a sweet spot that you find it easier to read than the salifert?
My nitrates range from 5-10-ish. So in the Nyos the 3, 5, 12 are very easy to differentiate. On the Salifert it's 2, 5, 10, and I was really struggling with whether I was closer to 5 or 10. I think part of the difference is staring down the top of the plastic container on the Salifert with the glare from lighting etc, whereas the Nyos has this foam holder that really lets you make a very easy comparison between the two vials of water.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got all Hanna checkers... My eyes aren't worth a dang anymore..
I use Hanna for salinity, Alk, and Phosphate. I learned my lesson the hard way on phosphates as I bought the wrong tester. Waiting for a Hanna nitrate checker that's in a bit higher range.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using nyos nitrate kit only thing is their dropper needs to be redesigned. Also the liquid reagent runs out way faster than the powder reagent, with no reagent refill for sale too. Otherwise performance is great. Can’t wait to see the Hanna nitrate kit
Oh that's good to know thanks!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know, I was considering swapping to their test kit, too. I'm not getting anything above 0 on Salifert's, and feed so much, it can be quite right. Also can't wait until the Hanna checker is out. I will starve before I let that purchase pass me up.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the NYOS nitrate and also for calcium and magnesium and there just so simple to use.

They are very accurate and I confirmed it to within 5 in a triton test certainly for magnesium which I think is what they claim as well.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is an optimum reading on the NYOS color chart for a reef tank? Is it in PPM?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been struggling to read Salifert Nitrate tests for the past 6-8 months (newbie reefer) since like many I've had trouble differentiating the various color shades. Since it was time for me to reorder, I decided to give Nyos a try. Ran the test tonight and I have to say that I'm making a permanent switch! Much easier to read and the total time is only a couple of minutes more than Salifert.

Just passing along another vote for Nyos.
I did my first Nyos Nitrate test on Saturday! So much better than the Salifert. I could never tell if it was 25 or 50!

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates range from 5-10-ish. So in the Nyos the 3, 5, 12 are very easy to differentiate. On the Salifert it's 2, 5, 10, and I was really struggling with whether I was closer to 5 or 10. I think part of the difference is staring down the top of the plastic container on the Salifert with the glare from lighting etc, whereas the Nyos has this foam holder that really lets you make a very easy comparison between the two vials of water.
Just a tip, when reading the Salifert test in the 0-10 range, you look through the side of the vile, not the top. That’s in the “higher sensitivity” part of the instructions. That may clear up your issue with Salifert. Although, that being said, Nyos is a good kit.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back