I'm an idiot...

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed a RFA because I thought I knew better than it did on where he should be placed. I thought he was on just sand but his foot was attached to the rock and he ripped when I moved him. He didn't last long after- I felt super bad about it

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when I removed mine it almost fell apart and smelled pretty rank. :( Sucked pretty bad as it had been doing great for a while... but I had a heater malfunction and came home to 65 degrees one day. Everything else was ok but right after that the nem seemed very stressed and just never recovered. I wish I'd removed it even a day sooner... lost my gorgeous, personable pair of frozen frostbite clownfish and lemonpeel angel. May have put me off BTA's permanently, I don't know. A few weeks later I felt ok adding new fish and a purple LTA that is absolutely thriving, doesn't move around, and doesn't seem as "moody" as the BTA.
65 degrees!? Wow, you must live somewhere pretty cold for it to cool down that much over a day... I hope you eventually give one another try though. Freak things happen sometimes, not your fault

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe a bubble tipped anemone can survive some ripping events. I had one which decided to wander all over the tank, then it got stuck in the slots of the overflow (to the sump). I could see it was about half in the main tank and half in the overflow region. Eventually, I had two, one in the main tank and one in the overflow. Not that I'd recommend it ...

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one nuke a tank - it's the ammonia spike that does it. It happened overnight, a day after the nem died and I thought it was still alive but just really angry.. Smaller tank (32 gallon) just couldn't handle the sharp spike. Killed all my fish and one of my cleaner shrimp overnight. Learned a lesson.
Yea that's fair. Smaller tanks might notice it more. I've got a bigger system so it's probably more resilient in ratio to whatever gets released.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 degrees!? Wow, you must live somewhere pretty cold for it to cool down that much over a day... I hope you eventually give one another try though. Freak things happen sometimes, not your fault
Central Iowa - it happened in February so... yeah, it gets cold. I'm always hot though so I keep our house at 68 year round, and that probably contributed to it. :( After this happened I added the heater from my QT and bought a heater controller. Going to add a 2nd heater too, for extra backup. It was pretty frustrating because the heater that failed was only a month old! I'm trying to not let it bother me too much cuz you're right, things happen. I was still pretty gutted. My husband was the one that found the fish dead in the morning and he he wasn't happy having to be the one to break the news to me when I woke up. Ugh. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 75 or 90 gallon soon, so I think I'll try another BTA eventually, but will wait until I have the larger tank that would weather freak swings in temp or parameters better for extra stability's sake. I would really love to have a nem host my new clownfish one day - it's just one of those symbiotic relationships that I love. Though my captive bred clowns have no interest whatsoever in my LTA (I know they aren't usually a natural clown host but a girl can dream, lol).

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Central Iowa - it happened in February so... yeah, it gets cold. I'm always hot though so I keep our house at 68 year round, and that probably contributed to it. :( After this happened I added the heater from my QT and bought a heater controller. Going to add a 2nd heater too, for extra backup. It was pretty frustrating because the heater that failed was only a month old! I'm trying to not let it bother me too much cuz you're right, things happen. I was still pretty gutted. My husband was the one that found the fish dead in the morning and he he wasn't happy having to be the one to break the news to me when I woke up. Ugh. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 75 or 90 gallon soon, so I think I'll try another BTA eventually, but will wait until I have the larger tank that would weather freak swings in temp or parameters better for extra stability's sake. I would really love to have a nem host my new clownfish one day - it's just one of those symbiotic relationships that I love. Though my captive bred clowns have no interest whatsoever in my LTA (I know they aren't usually a natural clown host but a girl can dream, lol).
Yeah, that would definitely frustrate me as well! Hey, at least you don't have to invest in a chiller like I did though

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a BTA idk how it would

They rip themselves apart to split naturally. You just did it manually which while arguably more stressful, is similar type damage.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions! As I said before the foot moved during that night and haven't seen it since...although there is this pink thing under my leather that looks like a neon pink...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you all for all of your comments and suggestions! As I said before the foot moved during that night and haven't seen it since...although there is this pink thing under my leather that looks like a neon pink...
for the future, direct strong flow towards anemone or place ice cube at its foot and it will move. Never handle an anemone- its a sure path to death.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back