I'm an idiot...

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I was trying to move my anemone because it was stinging a more expensive coral. It had its self in between two rock and I thought its foot was on the bottom rock because I could see a small part of it on there. But I was wrong it was on both rocks and when I pulled the top rock off it riped the anemone in two. I was heart broke and the clown fish were picking at were it was :( so sad. Any one else do things like this?

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. This hobby is humbling to a fault. I had a 14" LTA that one day decided to go the other direction through the rockwork after not moving for years. It was overlapping a dozen other corals. I tried to provoke it back the other direction, shifted my rockwork and tore it's foot. It died and now my clowns live in a goni. :\

Attachments

• 20200722_133517.jpg
    20200722_133517.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 58

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well...I took the one half off and threw it away and the other half was sitting on the rock like cemented on. This morning it was gone I think I saw it by the bottom of the tank this morning before school but idk ill look later.
Yeah, if it's a sizeable piece you'll definitely want to get it out of there before it decays...dead anemones release a lot of ammonia

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. This hobby is humbling to a fault. I had a 14" LTA that one day decided to go the other direction through the rockwork after not moving for years. It was overlapping a dozen other corals. I tried to provoke it back the other direction, shifted my rockwork and tore it's foot. It died and now my clowns live in a goni. :\
At least mine was only 4".

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks.. next time you could try just putting it in a breeder box... the non-foot part you threw away first. BTA's can recover from damage. I had one get cut up and chopped all over in a powerhead and it healed right up.

People propagate BTA's by cutting them in half.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've had BTA's get shredded and survive. They're very tough. I've also had them die, not sure how that would ever nuke a tank. There's nothing to them and it certainly isn't enough to spike nutrients or whatever. They're not a sea apple.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've had BTA's get shredded and survive. They're very tough. I've also had them die, not sure how that would ever nuke a tank. There's nothing to them and it certainly isn't enough to spike nutrients or whatever. They're not a sea apple.
I had one nuke a tank - it's the ammonia spike that does it. It happened overnight, a day after the nem died and I thought it was still alive but just really angry.. Smaller tank (32 gallon) just couldn't handle the sharp spike. Killed all my fish and one of my cleaner shrimp overnight. Learned a lesson.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one nuke a tank - it's the ammonia spike that does it. It happened overnight, a day after the nem died and I thought it was still alive but just really angry.. Smaller tank (32 gallon) just couldn't handle the sharp spike. Killed all my fish and one of my cleaner shrimp overnight. Learned a lesson.
I've removed one from a tank that died the night before and judging from the smell there was certainly ammonia being released

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed one from a tank that died the night before and judging from the smell there was certainly ammonia being released
Yeah when I removed mine it almost fell apart and smelled pretty rank. :( Sucked pretty bad as it had been doing great for a while... but I had a heater malfunction and came home to 65 degrees one day. Everything else was ok but right after that the nem seemed very stressed and just never recovered. I wish I'd removed it even a day sooner... lost my gorgeous, personable pair of frozen frostbite clownfish and lemonpeel angel. May have put me off BTA's permanently, I don't know. A few weeks later I felt ok adding new fish and a purple LTA that is absolutely thriving, doesn't move around, and doesn't seem as "moody" as the BTA.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back