I'm bored, let's see your reefs.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 2017 - Initial Setup and first delivery of corals from Saltwaterfish.com
I still have all of those corals except the Donut Coral, which arrived damaged and died within a couple days. (received full credit)

Corals in this picture -- from left to right, top to bottom
Sympodium -- some of it died off so I fragged the rest of it and put it in another place. It has never regained it's bright greens and blues, but it is always open, healthy-looking and spreading.

Birdsnest -- This was rescued from an LFS. It was a broken branch laying in the back of a tank and probably would have died out completely. It looked pretty rough when I brought it home.

Lobophylia -- It looked like it was in bad shape when it arrived. Looks like a million bucks now.

Another Birdsnest -- A slightly different variety from the last one. Same story here. Rescued it from the LFS on the same day. I was just looking for cheap projects to start populating my tank with.

Green Ricordea -- was the size of a quarter when I got it.

Blue-Polyp Monti -- Nickname: "The Turd". Arrived looking like a smashed piece of baby crap from my kid's diaper. Spend the next 10 months lying dormant. Started to finally grow and color up a few months ago, only to have the birdsnests hit a groth spurt and start shadowing it out. This is the impedus for finally setting up my 90g.

Generic Zoanthids -- this arrived as a sickly, infected, ugly rock of random, ugly zoanthids that looked nothing like the photo. It was covered in aiptasia and some kind of white bacterial film. I fragged what I could to save it and chucked the rest. (received full credit)

May 2017 - Initial Setup.jpg

July 2018 -- When I realized that I was just simply out of room and I needed to get off my duff and set up the 90g that was sitting in my garage.

Both birdsnests at the top of the rock structure are from the original photo. The darker one with green tips is the one to the right of the Lobo, and the lighter one in the middle is still in the same basic place. I think I moved it over a couple inches to make room for the Cabbage Leather.

The Lobo was moved to the bottom of the tank after a few days and has remained there for over a year now. A lovely piece that turns into a happy fat kid whenever you feed it.
"The Turd" started to sprout a few months ago, but it is now fully shaded under the birdsnest and isn't very happy.

The Green Ricordia Florida has grown since he early days, and he also has some friends to play with now.

20180730_180956.jpg

Here is a close-up of what became of the Sympodiums and ugly-duckling zoas. The Sympodiums are still "meh", and are one of my most frustrating pieces to date. I went through a period of browning out with my GSP for a couple of months when I first got them, but they eventually went back to normal. These Sympodiums are an utter mystery to me. Their bodies are "fat", and they have slowly grown over time, but they always look half-open and the color sucks. If anyone has any ideas about Sympodium care, please chime in. Hey, at least they're still alive. lol

The Zoas have blossomed into little swans though. They are the light blue/brown ones on the top-left. They haven't really grown at all in the past year (I honestly don't think they've grown a single new head) but they just show up every day, open full and look good.

sympodium and zoa.jpg

atrociousoceanus29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all the stuff is fully open because i just moved some stuff around.heres my little ocean slice, i introduced that green bubble anemone to the top right of the back rock just yesterday.XD
Screenshot_20180823-192105.jpeg

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef is about a year old. I had my hand in the tank over the weekend and bumped the right rock structure and it fell :( I think I made lemonade from those lemons though ;) (plus I added a clam and bta for all the rescape stress). Told the wife it was therapy to help me get through the trauma.

IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3214.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back