IM fusion 10 build

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Starting a build thread for my new nano tank.

The build isn't starting from scratch - I've pulled all of the rock and coral from my old Pico jar (set up for quite a few months) and set it up in the fusion 10.

The jar started with live rock (origin completely unknown) from the lfs (who also gave me the brown reasonably harmless flat worms annoyingly) - and it's been pretty good.

Tank has been set up for a week or two now, but can't stress enough that it's more of an upgrade than start from scratch (thus the fish and fair bit of coral)

Starting this as a bare bottom for the standard reasons, but also the jar never had sand.

Fish have been in for a week. I'm aware they will get a lot bigger but will monitor this closely. There is no other livestock, I will get some snails at some point.

I live in London and move flat every year so that's why it's a small tank and also the reason I don't make up my water. I get natural sea water delivered.

Spec:
IM fusion 10
No skimmer
Filter sock removed
Small heater
Kessil a80 tuna blue - very close to the surface

Corals:
Lots of zoas: standard green ones, scrambled eggs, rastas (1 polyp), green paly, and a few more unidentified
Handful of sps easy sticks (can dig the names out if anyone wants to know)
Hoping for some acans, mushrooms and a coral for the clowns to hopefully host in

Keep thinking about a bubble tip nem but have talked myself out of it

Pic heavy but tried to get shots all around the scape

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200823_111554.jpg

IMG_20200823_111554.jpg
IMG_20200823_084055.jpg
IMG_20200823_111541.jpg
IMG_20200823_111316.jpg
IMG_20200823_111335.jpg
IMG_20200823_111355.jpg
IMG_20200823_083940.jpg
IMG_20200823_111423.jpg
IMG_20200823_111527.jpg
IMG_20200823_084044.jpg
IMG_20200823_111507.jpg
IMG_20200823_084049.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, what fish do you have? Can only make out the clowns.
Good to see the lesson can handle sps, I have the same light.
what media are you using? no sand interested to know as it looks very sharp.

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment

Just the two clowns actually, I'm inclined to leave it like that. Conscious of the bio load on a small tank

Ahh cool, I like the light a lot. Wish I had a par meter though, would love to know how high it was 6" below the water surface. I have the light about 1" from the surface.

Thanks a lot. No sand, just rock and then the back compartment has the media that was supplied with the tank. Nothing fancy back there yet

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, running a similar setup and aspire to your coral setup!!!

Trying to borrow something to read PAR, I’ll let you know if I’m ever successful
Hey, thanks very much

Would be great if you got some readings. It's such low wattage that I think you've gotta get the light very close to the surface lol

Thanks, they are all cheap £10 frags posted to me from hobbyists really. I think zoas are great and hard to go wrong and the sps choices were inspired by the easy mode SPS video on YouTube by tidal gardens

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the Kessil lights register quite low in par but apparently par is not the deciding factor in how a light performs.

If your light is only 1 inch above the water level you should be getting the max out of it as Kessil recommend around 4 inches above the water.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice little reef you have there!

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little reef you have there!
Thanks very much!
I believe the Kessil lights register quite low in par but apparently par is not the deciding factor in how a light performs.

If your light is only 1 inch above the water level you should be getting the max out of it as Kessil recommend around 4 inches above the water.
Thanks, I've heard that kessil claim this but have no basis to judge it.
Agreed that I'm pulling as much as I can out of it though.

I've got an order of sps frags coming in a couple of weeks which will test it.

I'd like a hammer for the clowns, acans and some mushrooms and then think I'll let it all grow out.

What are the thoughts on a rose bubbletip nem? For a tank this small I figured the odds of it going somewhere I don't want it are just too high

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the thoughts on a rose bubbletip nem? For a tank this small I figured the odds of it going somewhere I don't want it are just too high

I’m thinking the nem will have a limited choice where it goes, they like flow and light so I’m thinking it’ll pop itself on the top rock but who knows!

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't mind that tbh

If they have limited choice, do they settle down or just keep looking?
I’m thinking the nem will have a limited choice where it goes, they like flow and light so I’m thinking it’ll pop itself on the top rock but who knows!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't mind that tbh

If they have limited choice, do they settle down or just keep looking?

My guess is they keep looking, maybe settle for a while but move again, splitting is also a real possibility so you may have more than one to contend with, so have a plan for that too.

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh that's a good point.

Thanks for the help, I'll let the coral grow out for a while and then revisit the nem I guess

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put an order in for more frags, these will really test the light I think. In the back of my mind I'm thinking that I could always buy an AI prime and not have to worry about the par. Realistically, they will be fine in lower light for a few days (probably good for acclimation anyway) and I can get the ai prime here within a day

Thoughts on these?
Electric miyagi
Stylo pink
Blue staghorn
Confusa
Applebery
Fireforest

I'm away for a week so I'm postponing delivery for a week or two but will update when they come

OP
OP
LondonReefer

LondonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is a couple days off the one month mark and survived me going away for a week. I had a mate feed the clowns while I was gone. All healthy and plenty of coral growth had happened whilst I was away. However, the tank had developed some form of algae/cyano on the back wall, bottom and small areas on the rock. I vacuumed a fair bit of it away but not all. The parts I removed haven't come back and the bits that I left have stayed the same which is promising. It could have been down to over feeding that week (I measured out food portions for the week but might have been more generous than I usually feed)
This was the tank on 6 February. I'm really impressed with the PE on some of the sps
IMG_20200906_121358.jpg
IMG_20200906_121354.jpg
IMG_20200906_121356.jpg

As with my previous post, a bunch of nice looking corals arrived yesterday which have been glued to the rock. I accidentally snapped the forest fire...so I guess I have two frags now. I really kept knocking the Milka coral over and picking it up with my metal tongs so I'm sure it's gonna be upset with that today and not extending. This is how it was looking
[
IMG_20200911_175818.jpg

Big questions / to dos:
- Will the A80 continue to perform, gotta say the growth so far with it has been great, or will I need a light upgrade?
- I still don't have any snails or crabs (not sure I want crabs). My lfs only had the snails that fall over and can't right themselves. What I'd like is a few small pseudo pest snails (like in freshwater)
- Probably will get a shrimp

In my fresh water tanks I maintain a stable colony of cherry shrimp and snails, is there any marine equivalent to the cherry shrimp that is easily available? I haven't seen anything online

New FTS to come whenever things look happy

Would love any feedback/ suggestions. If anyone is in London, UK, and has snails, shrimp, lps then drop me a message

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back