IM Fusion 15, possible over flow issue

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 NUVO Fusion AIO Cube Aquarium
So I just got this tank and I have it running in my backyard, so the stand is not perfectly level, I have been playing around with water volume and doing the fail safe test, turning off the pump and then back on.

So I was looking at the design of the tank and was wondering if the sock got good and dirty and plugged where will the water go, I plugged the outside of the weir to see what happens the water will rise up in the tank and at the exact moment the water will go to the right side of the tank were the exhaust is, is the height of the water going over the tank ie (waterfall), so I really do not like that idea.

Has anybody notice that? Have you done a mod to correct the issue?
I was thinking about drilling a hole about he height of the return so it will drain back into the rear chamber.

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is a good idea. My AIO 25g waterbox had the same issue; and with my ato keep adding water with clogged filter, it has a pretty bad overflow incidence. Now I simply do not use any filter (it seems my biological filtration is ok), or I use half of a filter pad so even if it is dirty it will jumpy fully clog the return.

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM15 has an emergency overflow to the right of the wier. If the front gets above the emergency overflow it just drains back into the filtration compartments. You could probably overflow the tank if you installed a larger return pump, but the stock pump just isn't that powerful.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sock being dirty won’t cause it to overflow because the sock does not completely fill the first chamber. There should be a gap between the sock and the back of the tank. Then if the weir completely plugs up the back wall is cut lower than the outside glass so that it will flow back into the back chamber.
I tested it on my tank by holding my hand over the weir and it worked fine for me, you do need to make sure the tank is level for it to work properly though.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, the tank will be level when it comes into the house, I want to familiarize myself with how a rear chamber sump works and how it will react to different scenarios.

First big issue with this tank is that the chamber with the sock is the same height as the tank, so if it overflows it does not flow back in rear sump or tank exclusively, it will make a miss. I put a plastic bag to block the water. The bag blocks the view of that the chamber is higher than the other part of the sump.
20230424_180839.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where it was going over, so yes I need less water in the tank, it seems that the pump will start blowing bubbles when the tank is at its fullest.
20230424_180850.jpg

girlsdad_AAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IM15 has an emergency overflow to the right of the wier. If the front gets above the emergency overflow it just drains back into the filtration compartments. You could probably overflow the tank if you installed a larger return pump, but the stock pump just isn't that powerful.
I hate the emergency overflow, wish they made it smaller.. my fish jumped through it :(

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nuvo 10 that has been setup for more than 2 years now. It's the old model without the emergency overflow, I have the MightyJet 326 at max, and it's full of BTAs that occasionally get the urge to "walk" over/through the weir into the back compartments. I can honestly say that I have never once in two years had a drop of water overflow out of the tank. And the new ones are designed to prevent this exact scenario.

I think you're probably worried for no reason.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where it was going over, so yes I need less water in the tank, it seems that the pump will start blowing bubbles when the tank is at its fullest.
20230424_180850.jpg

Something is not adding up here. Are you sure the front of the tank isn't lower than the back?

I ask because unless you put a huge return pump on, the water will overflow back into the return chamber, effectively bypassing the blocked intake.

There really shouldn't be any overflow concern unless your pump can move more water than the emergency overflow can handle, and the stock pump is a little dink that can't accomplish that.

OP
OP
Blue Spot Octopus

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ That tank was on my patio, on top of an old aquarium stand I built ages ago. So it was not perfectly level, pretty close, concrete should always have a pitch away from the house.

I was playing with it to see what would happen in the worst circumstances possible, will it overflow if the inlet gets clogged? How much water to exactly keep in there so I know where to put my ATO at. How water flows through the tank. I am confident in the design so I do not have to worry about an overflow.
I do think they should lower the back panel a smidge more, its really close.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^ That tank was on my patio, on top of an old aquarium stand I built ages ago. So it was not perfectly level, pretty close, concrete should always have a pitch away from the house.

I was playing with it to see what would happen in the worst circumstances possible, will it overflow if the inlet gets clogged? How much water to exactly keep in there so I know where to put my ATO at. How water flows through the tank. I am confident in the design so I do not have to worry about an overflow.
I do think they should lower the back panel a smidge more, its really close.

I had a plastic bag block my overflow, and it did not overflow the front but did spill over the emergency overflow. Thank God, too lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back