I'm glue less. What am i doing wrong ?

Peter Brom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 17th of march, I posted a thread called: How to carefully raise nitrate level of 0 ppm to 3 ppm. I got a lot of good advice which I followed. Such as adding 2 clownfishes, goby and shrimp (i got the snails already) in my tank. The fish are doing great and are active and I would expect that the water parameters would go up slowly in the next week but they didn't. Only the Phosphate and ammonia went up a bit. See below:

Water parameters on the 17th of march
Nitrate: 0.8 ppm, Nitrite: 0.077 ppm, Phosphate: 0.04, KH: 9.05, Calcium: 464, PH: 8.5, Ammonia: 0.0

Water parameters on the 30th of march
Nitrate: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0.034 ppm, Phosphate: 0.3, KH: 8.2, Calcium: 470, PH: 8.7, Ammonia: 0.18

Should I wait longer to see if the water parameters stabilize or do i need to take some additional measures ?

Thank you for helping out.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 17th of march, I posted a thread called: How to carefully raise nitrate level of 0 ppm to 3 ppm. I got a lot of good advice which I followed. Such as adding 2 clownfishes, goby and shrimp (i got the snails already) in my tank. The fish are doing great and are active and I would expect that the water parameters would go up slowly in the next week but they didn't. Only the Phosphate and ammonia went up a bit. See below:

Water parameters on the 17th of march
Nitrate: 0.8 ppm, Nitrite: 0.077 ppm, Phosphate: 0.04, KH: 9.05, Calcium: 464, PH: 8.5, Ammonia: 0.0

Water parameters on the 30th of march
Nitrate: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0.034 ppm, Phosphate: 0.3, KH: 8.2, Calcium: 470, PH: 8.7, Ammonia: 0.18

Should I wait longer to see if the water parameters stabilize or do i need to take some additional measures ?

Thank you for helping out.
What's in the tank? Why do you need nitrates in the tank right now did you just start the system? You don't have corals in there right?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still experiencing issues? I am unsure what the original 'problem' was- and whether you want to boost your nitrates because you have issues - or whether you're chasing numbers that has been advertised somewhere as being 'good' :)

If you are happy and confident that your thank is thriving, then no need to worry!

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the whole story on your tank but ammonia and nitrite present it must be very new, so I assume no corals, 0 nitrate is fine for now if you have no corals, just run your lights very low or very short every day. Let the tank run for a couple months before you decide on any changes. Just enjoy your fish for a bit

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting little parameter swings in a 2 week period. Testing after heavy feeding? Testing after something died? Testing after significant water change? Testing with and old or cheap test kit? I like what @Boehmtown said let your tank mature and “enjoy your fish”.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back