OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'm probably way more excited about this than I should be, but... Those of you who have been following along know that one of the reasons I setup this tank was to have a specific pistol shrimp and goby pair. I planned for it from the beginning, and I made some specific accommodations for the duo.

Since I planned on having a Candy Stripe Pistol and a Hi-fin Banded Goby (both pretty tiny), and since shrimp/goby pairs tend to always tunnel in parts of the tank that you can't ever see, I built a tunnel into the base of my aquascape with exits in places that could easily be seen.

One right in front...

10g-scape-front.jpg

...and the other easily seen from one side.

10g-scape-side.jpg

Once I put the sand in, the holes were covered up, but I was pretty confident that an industrious little pistol shrimp would find them.

10g-scape-front-sand.jpg

My original plan was to add the shrimp first and let it start on the tunnels, then add the goby. I waited forever for one of the LFS to get a Candy Stripe Pistol. Seems everyone was having a hard time getting them, but I did eventually find one. I spent a lot of time acclimating it and added it to the tank, only to find it dead two days later. I was bummed.

Then a few weeks later I happened to see the goby I wanted at another LFS. This particular LFS is kind of notorious for spotty luck with livestock (local people will know the exact place I'm talking about). But, against my better judgement, I went ahead and got the goby. I spent extra time acclimating the little guy to give him the best chance in the tank. I found it dead the next morning. :(

Since the availability of the shrimp and goby was really spotty, I kind of just forgot about it for a while and enjoyed the tank as-is for several months. Then, about 3 weeks ago, I saw that a semi-local LFS (notorious for GOOD livestock) had gotten a Candy Stripe in. I called and asked them to hold it for me, hopped in the car and made the 2 hour roundtrip and added it to my tank. I tried to get it close to where the tunnel in the aquascape is but, of course, it hit the sand and went the opposite way! :D

Now, almost 3 weeks later, and the point of this whole update, it found the tunnel! I haven't seen the shrimp since adding him to the tank, but I could see little piles of turned up sand every morning, so I knew he was alive and kicking in there. And, finally, yesterday morning the lights came on and I saw this:

1652706057017.jpeg

Freshly turned sand and a hole, right at the front entrance of the tunnel! FINALLY!

I'll let the shrimp get the tunnel all excavated before trying another goby, but I am SUPER excited about this! The Hi-fin Banded Goby is one of my absolute favorite fish, and one of the main purposes of this whole tank build was specifically that fish and a shrimp pair.

When I do add the goby, my plan is to use a long clear tube to guide it right down to the tunnel entrance. That way I shouldn't have to wait long for it to find the shrimp and pair up. The tank is only 10g, so it probably wouldn't take TOO long anyway, but the gobies are very skittish, and pretty fragile, so if I can get it comfortable in the tank relatively quickly, it will have a much better chance.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of a scare... My wife and I were out of town Friday through Sunday for a friend's wedding. When we got back Sunday evening, the AC was out and the house was about 80 degrees. I wasn't too concerned as I run my tanks at 78-79 anyway, so nothing was too hot.

I diagnosed the AC issue (capacitor) and found the part I needed on Amazon for next day (Monday) delivery. No big deal. Except...

The temperature here yesterday was a high of 97! We had blinds closed and all fan running but, while we waited on the capacitor to arrive the inside temps kept rising. By the time the Amazon delivery came, it was 90 INSIDE! Both tanks' temps were rising. When they hit 82 degrees, I started floating ice packs in them to try to keep them as cool as possible. My 30g hit about 84 degrees max, but the little 10g climbed to 86+.

It was a long day of rotating ice packs, and at times I had to wait for some of them to refreeze. It was pretty stressful for me and, apparently, my anemones too. One of my Rainbows split, my Ultra Rainbow split, and I think my Warp Drive might've split due to the stress as well. Several of the corals in my 30g were looking pretty grumpy yesterday, but it seemed that all the fish in both tanks weathered it well enough. I haven't heard any snapping from my pistol shrimp yet today, but I'm holding out hope.

I'm sitting here waiting for the lights to come on now so I can see how everything fared over night (temp was at 78 when we went to bed last night and back to normal this morning) so I can get a final assessment of the damage and/or loss. I've got my fingers crossed that my efforts weren't in vain.

reefjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great little tank! I'm currently beginning to break down a 30g tank. At first I decided to re-home EVERYTHING living in it, however, as some things have gone to new homes I'm realizing how much I like a specific bubble tip I have in there. My clowns are pretty dang cute too. So now I'm considering getting one of these 10g tanks to do a similar build. If I go along with this idea I will take a lot of inspiration from your awesome rocks scape!

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little tank! I'm currently beginning to break down a 30g tank. At first I decided to re-home EVERYTHING living in it, however, as some things have gone to new homes I'm realizing how much I like a specific bubble tip I have in there. My clowns are pretty dang cute too. So now I'm considering getting one of these 10g tanks to do a similar build. If I go along with this idea I will take a lot of inspiration from your awesome rocks scape!

Thank you! This build started because my wife wanted a pair of clowns and an anemone, but it has become my favorite tank!

I was almost sick yesterday worrying about losing it. :(

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is doing so well for me (too well), so it'll be getting an upgrade soon. This weekend I will be trading some coral for another IM 30L, and I'll be building it as a new home for these anemones... and taking the opportunity to thin the herd a bit, and add some cool new ones.

It'll be a slow, mostly "budget" build as I accumulate parts, so keep an eye out for the new build thread. :D

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good news and bad news... I picked up a JBJ RF-45 Rimless Flat Panel over the weekend. Over the next several weeks, I'll be setting it up as a new home for the current inhabitants of the 10g, as well as adding some new along the way.

I'm excited for the new build, but also kind of sad that this phase of the 10g build will be ending. Don't worry, though. I have some big plans for the 10g after everything has been moved. ;)

Anyway, I guess I'll have a new build thread or two coming along shortly. :D

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank set up! What intensity are you maxing your prime at?

It's kind of hard to respond to that. I run Prime HD (13 LED version) lights with @luxdium LED puck upgrades, so it doesn't directly translate to other AI lights. I also run a 3DReefing diffuser which cuts total PAR by about 10-15%.

...but...

I run Optimized III (a fuller, wider AB+ type spectrum). I don't run any of the channels at more than 79-80. The peak of my schedule runs at about 26w total. I'm at about 165 PAR at peak, in the dead center of the cube.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back