IM Nuvo 10 return chamber low

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up my new IM Nuvo 10 AIO tank a few days ago and it’s currently cycling. However the mightyjet 326 gph pump it comes with seems much too powerful? The main display is so high it’s almost overflowing with the flow and the back chamber is so dangerously low. It seems like the pump is too powerful even on the lowest setting possible. The flow is so strong and I’m not sure if there is a fix to this or a less powerful pump?! I can’t be the only one with this issue. Any help is great! Do not want that chamber to run dry, and prefer the tank display part not to be almost overflowing lol.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not savvy with which pumps can be used in this tank so if anyone has a suggestion to a low flow return pump I would love to hear! My yellow banded possum will be going in this tank and I don’t need him blowing around to much. As well with the concerns of the display overflowing lol!

would this one work okay? I’m noob when it comes to tech...

Last edited:

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in your overflow chamber(s)- you could have too much restriction, causing the water to stay in the display.
Other options would be to buy the above linked - Sicce pumps are great. Another option would be to add one or two reducers in the return line i.e. 3/8” down to 1/4” back to 3/8’ - this would cause a natural restriction on the flow - I’m just not sure if it will be enough.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats in your overflow chamber(s)- you could have too much restriction, causing the water to stay in the display.
Other options would be to buy the above linked - Sicce pumps are great. Another option would be to add one or two reducers in the return line i.e. 3/8” down to 1/4” back to 3/8’ - this would cause a natural restriction on the flow - I’m just not sure if it will be enough.
I ordered a sicce one with lower gph and I only had a tiny bit of filter floss in the tank which wasn’t the issue just the darn pump I could see it sucking the water through too fast! Thanks I hope the sicce works better for me.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a sicce one with lower gph and I only had a tiny bit of filter floss in the tank which wasn’t the issue just the darn pump I could see it sucking the water through too fast! Thanks I hope the sicce works better for me.
Hm...

Yeah I was gonna suggest something is restricting the flow, but that's not it then.

NuvoAquariums tend to not have this issue, so was thinking it has to be something else aside from the pump. But not ruling the pump out either.

What if you remove absolutely everything from the chambers and only have the pump? Is it still too much then?

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm...

Yeah I was gonna suggest something is restricting the flow, but that's not it then.

NuvoAquariums tend to not have this issue, so was thinking it has to be something else aside from the pump. But not ruling the pump out either.

What if you remove absolutely everything from the chambers and only have the pump? Is it still too much then?
Yes I tried that too, I don’t have any issue with my 20 gallon IM peninsula at all but the 10 gal does so I’m not sure. Sounds like a waterfall where the water goes into the back chambers lol..

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tried that too, I don’t have any issue with my 20 gallon IM peninsula at all but the 10 gal does so I’m not sure. Sounds like a waterfall where the water goes into the back chambers lol..
Dang. :/ Hopefully your Sicce works then. Contact IM and tell them about this. Videotape the flow with all chambers empty if possible. I dunno if IM would ever get back to you (they sure did not get back to me when I had a complaint), but hey, no harm in trying.

Reefsupreme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
So I set up my new IM Nuvo 10 AIO tank a few days ago and it’s currently cycling. However the mightyjet 326 gph pump it comes with seems much too powerful? The main display is so high it’s almost overflowing with the flow and the back chamber is so dangerously low. It seems like the pump is too powerful even on the lowest setting possible. The flow is so strong and I’m not sure if there is a fix to this or a less powerful pump?! I can’t be the only one with this issue. Any help is great! Do not want that chamber to run dry, and prefer the tank display part not to be almost overflowing lol.
I had the same problem. At the lowest it seemed it was too strong. I filler the return chamber up to where it’s only draining in about half inch. Everything was then fine.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the water level at compared to the slits in the overflow

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was looking to replace the stock pump on my IM 10g I noticed that several people recommended the mighty jet 326, but other pointed out the issue that you are having. I ended up with a Sicce .5 and it works well for me. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is the water level at compared to the slits in the overflow
The main display is legit to the tippy top almost overflowing and it trickles down the slits not fast enough and so the pump turns out more water than is coming in.
When I was looking to replace the stock pump on my IM 10g I noticed that several people recommended the mighty jet 326, but other pointed out the issue that you are having. I ended up with a Sicce .5 and it works well for me. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Yes I’m trying a sicce and hopefully that works well! Thanks! For my setup it will be some simple softies and a possum wrasse so no need for as much flow as the 326 is giving out cuz wow that’s so much.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, has anyone tried adding an IM Spinstream or Hydro FLO? One of those might slow down the flow and add enough random flow to not require a powerhead in the tank.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, so I got a sicce Micra Plus and the flow and levels are MUCH better however the pump does not touch the bottom of the tank....the hose connector to the outflow tube is too short so the pump is dangling. Its SUPER loud as well..not sure if that is because its dangling or not. Is there a tube of some sort I can get so that it touches the bottom of the tank??
  • Outlet Tube Adapter Size: 1/2 or 3/8""

1623267891417.png
the pic attached shows the little black tube on top thats too short.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to consider silicone tubing. BRS sells it at 3/8" and larger and you may also be able to find it locally.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the good things about true silicone tubing is that it absorbs some of the vibration which many other types of tubing will transfer from the pump to the tank. Even in a standard sump I will often add a short section of silicone tubing between my return pump and the hard plumbing and sometimes a silicone mat between the pump and the bottom of the sump if I can sense any vibration being transferred. Even if you can hear it, the fish can feel it so I try to limit it where possible. That said, some pumps are just noisy and you can only do so much. Good luck!

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the good things about true silicone tubing is that it absorbs some of the vibration which many other types of tubing will transfer from the pump to the tank. Even in a standard sump I will often add a short section of silicone tubing between my return pump and the hard plumbing and sometimes a silicone mat between the pump and the bottom of the sump if I can sense any vibration being transferred. Even if you can hear it, the fish can feel it so I try to limit it where possible. That said, some pumps are just noisy and you can only do so much. Good luck!
Yep definitely feeling a ton of vibration and hearing it so I will give that a shot.

OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your .5 fit in the nuvo 10g? Is it pretty quiet? Might just exchange mine for that one.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, so I got a sicce Micra Plus and the flow and levels are MUCH better however the pump does not touch the bottom of the tank....the hose connector to the outflow tube is too short so the pump is dangling. Its SUPER loud as well..not sure if that is because its dangling or not. Is there a tube of some sort I can get so that it touches the bottom of the tank??
  • Outlet Tube Adapter Size: 1/2 or 3/8""

1623267891417.png
the pic attached shows the little black tube on top thats too short.
One solution is to place some sort of filter floss like material underneath it, which would help with the height and may also dampen vibrations. Two birds with one stone. ^_^

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back