IM Nuvo EXT 100 SPS2020 Build

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SPS2020 i got that you do not thread on the outer threads. I was asking did you glue it in the overflow box and then connect all the rest. I am thinking of possible glueing it to a threaded pipe so i can screw the union on the first set. I would think this would save it if I ever had to do plumbing work at the overflow. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SPS2020 i got that you do not thread on the outer threads. I was asking did you glue it in the overflow box and then connect all the rest. I am thinking of possible glueing it to a threaded pipe so i can screw the union on the first set. I would think this would save it if I ever had to do plumbing work at the overflow. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.
Oh i see what you meant now. I just left myself some room to cut the pipe if i ever needed to remove the bulkhead. Heres mine:
E9D4166F-1FC1-487A-A08F-99FEA6497C7D.jpeg

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@infinite0180 so if you ever needed to disconnect it you would cut right above the union and still have enough room to glue the new union on there? Do I have it correct? you would need to cut the union off if you ever had to remove the bulkhead? I guess you would have to go to IM and order a new bulkhead if that is the case (or make one).

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@infinite0180 so if you ever needed to disconnect it you would cut right above the union and still have enough room to glue the new union on there? Do I have it correct? you would need to cut the union off if you ever had to remove the bulkhead? I guess you would have to go to IM and order a new bulkhead if that is the case (or make one).
Yes, thats correct. You would cut Above the union. You could go to IM for a replacement but Lifeguard Aquatics sells the same sch. 40 bulkheads on amazon that IM supplied. I needed a new one for my sump and it came in 2 days via prime and it was pretty much identical to the ones IM provided.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see some more progress! I was wondering what lights you were going with. Any problem with the reef wave staying on the back wall? What ato container is that? Still haven't decided on one yet.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice to see some more progress! I was wondering what lights you were going with. Any problem with the reef wave staying on the back wall? What ato container is that? Still haven't decided on one yet.

The reef wave is staying put with no problem forward and reverse. The ATO is a Trigger Systems Triton 10 gallon. I'll post more pictures with how I have things wired. Later in the week, I'll do clean up with wire loom, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
READ ME BEFORE ASSEMBLING EXT 100 STAND:

I ran into a huge snag with the stand today which I will be discussing with IM tomorrow. Considering the possibility of potential damage during setup, I chose not to install all of the doors at the beginning. Looking at the directions, I noted the one upright support on illustrations 13 and 14 in the manual. So I installed that support and the adjacent door to the left.

20200812_192922.jpg 20200802_210802.jpg

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today, I decided that I was far enough along with the build that it would be safe to install the other two doors. The far right door was no problem and installed as expected.

20200812_192759.jpg

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now comes the IM Snafu...

The middle door is the exact same size as the other two, but the spacing does not allow for the width of the door with the front support in place!!! What the heck was IM thinking? I'm pretty sure this is not user error.

20200812_192823.jpg

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sooo...I have a tank full of water cycling with a front support that has to be removed! :mad: Not a happy camper, IM...not a happy camper. If it was as simple as turning the cam locks and the support would release, that would not be a problem. However, I'm pretty sure there's no way that is going to happen. Just wanted to make others aware before falling into the same pitfall.

Last edited:

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that sucks! I almost made the same mistake, but realized the bracket was too loose in the front groove. The rear groove is slightly smaller. It basically comes down to their assembly instructions suck bad. I actually took my stand apart twice because I wasn’t sure I actually put it together right. I agree you won’t be able to remove it with the tank full. I tried to move one of the back ones after my tank was on the stand but didn’t have water and it didn’t budge.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sigh...okay, makes sense that it should be in the back groove and not the front. I think I'll let the tank cycle out before doing anything else. I'm doing a Brightwell fishless cycle which calls for a 25% water change at the end anyway.

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After speaking with Paul at IM, he mentioned that all of the vertical uprights should be installed on the inside channel which is not apparent (to me) from the instructions. I think it would have been obvious if I had received a stand with doors on the sides. I expressed my frustration and told them they needed to make it VERY clear in the instructions.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After speaking with Paul at IM, he mentioned that all of the vertical uprights should be installed on the inside channel which is not apparent (to me) from the instructions. I think it would have been obvious if I had received a stand with doors on the sides. I expressed my frustration and told them they needed to make it VERY clear in the instructions.
Looking at the picture from your instructions, it does look like they should be installed in the outside channel. I will look at my instructions when I get home to see if they changed it. Either way the assembly instructions just flat out suck!

OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at the picture from your instructions, it does look like they should be installed in the outside channel. I will look at my instructions when I get home to see if they changed it. Either way the assembly instructions just flat out suck!

I forgot to mention that Paul also said this was a structural issue.

Once I move the back vertical uprights to the inside channel, my entire manifold will have to be spaced away from the uprights as I have the PVC Clic Clips attached to them. This just gets more fun daily. I'm thinking the Waterbox may have been the better choice...no stand assembly required.

Update: I touched base with Paul and he agreed to send me two vertical uprights at no charge, but I pay shipping. This way the existing ones stay in place and I do not have to move the manifold. Then I'll install the new ones in the inside channel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPS2020

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is awesome. I am looking into mine today to see what it is like. Not sure really what it is suppose to be but we will find out. Good luck.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting those IM parts.

Cycling is progressing...slowly. Which is expected with a bare bottom tank. A couple of pieces of real live rock I had laying around are in the refugium along with 1 liter of Seachem Matrix in a high flow area of the sump where water has to pass over\through the media. Right now, it is just a cloudy tank with no lights, so no real reason to post pictures.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back