NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long debate and going back and forth between Waterbox and IM, I've decided to go with the 30L gallon with the white stand and I can't wait to get it (in 2 days!) - https://www.innovative-marine.com/shop/Fusion-Pro-2-30-AIO-Aquarium-w-APS-Stand-White-p222452188

I'm getting the spot where it's going to go ready, and I've been watching youtube on how to prep and get it cycled. I currently have a 10 gallon Fluval that I turned into saltwater and this is my next level. I've struggled with it - couldn't keep corals alive, so I'm hoping this tank being AIO can get me there. Do you guys can give me beginners tips with these tank? I'm thinking of getting a skimmer (one of the many reasons I probably couldn't keep corals happy) and maybe a reactor but which ones?

Skimmer
Reactor

OH!
I also have a carribsea life rock that I used in my fluval. I changed rock and it's been in a bucket for about 5 months or so now. I'd like to add it to the new tank but I was told it needs to go through "curating"??

Here's what I currently have - hoping to transfer to the new tank - is this enough?
  • Fluval Nano Reef light -
  • Heater -

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the IM skimmer and reactor; you won't be happy with either, unfortunately. The Tunze 9001 is a good choice, but you'll need to check the measurements on your tank to ensure it will fit.

A lot of IM 20/25 owners ended up getting two return pumps so they could run the skimmer in the return pump chamber (there's a thread or two on this).

Definitely run at least one media caddy and one filter sock (you'll need spare filter socks). InTank offers an excellent media caddy as an upgrade along with a refugium.

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the IM skimmer and reactor; you won't be happy with either, unfortunately. The Tunze 9001 is a good choice, but you'll need to check the measurements on your tank to ensure it will fit.

A lot of IM 20/25 owners ended up getting two return pumps so they could run the skimmer in the return pump chamber (there's a thread or two on this).

Definitely run at least one media caddy and one filter sock (you'll need spare filter socks). InTank offers an excellent media caddy as an upgrade along with a refugium.
Thanks! That's good to know! Is the Mighty Jet (the one that comes with it) not good enough to run the whole tank?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That's good to know! Is the Mighty Jet (the one that comes with it) not good enough to run the whole tank?
It is - but in order to fit the skimmer in the center chamber they opt for a smaller set of pumps on either side.

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't come yesterday ;Inpain so we will try again today. I was wondering though...

What's a good wave maker for this style of tank? It's about 36 inches long. It has those 2 from the back but based on what I've seen on youtube and here, most have an additional wavemaker of some sort? Which one(s) are good?

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didn't come yesterday ;Inpain so we will try again today. I was wondering though...

What's a good wave maker for this style of tank? It's about 36 inches long. It has those 2 from the back but based on what I've seen on youtube and here, most have an additional wavemaker of some sort? Which one(s) are good?
I would go with a Nero 3. They have a pretty narrow flow angle and can move water across that 3 foot distance. @blaxsun hit the nail on the head as well with the skimmer and reactor. IM's tanks are really nice, their other products are not so much unfortunately...

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That heater is also pretty underpowered... Probably need a 75-100w.

And as far as beginner tips... I think the most successfull beginners do water changes. In my opinion, I would not run a skimmer on this small of a tank, I would change out 5 gallons of water weekly. Not everyone will agree that water changes are necessary, but it is fact that a good water change schedule will greatly increase your likelihood to succeed.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a Nero 3. They have a pretty narrow flow angle and can move water across that 3 foot distance.
Nero 3s are a good choice (if you can find them, that is!) You can also look at something like the smallest Tunze Nanostream or a pair of Sicce Voyagers. While not controllable, they do work extremely well and won't "break the bank". They also work great for mixing saltwater in pails, so there's definitely a post-tank use for them if you upgrade to a Nero 3.

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That heater is also pretty underpowered... Probably need a 75-100w.

And as far as beginner tips... I think the most successfull beginners do water changes. In my opinion, I would not run a skimmer on this small of a tank, I would change out 5 gallons of water weekly. Not everyone will agree that water changes are necessary, but it is fact that a good water change schedule will greatly increase your likelihood to succeed.
Thanks @WestonNanos I've gotten used to the water change with my 10 gallon. Even though it will be more water to change since it'll be 30 gallons, It's been part of my Saturday/Sunday rituals (I mix the water saturday night and let it mix overnight and change it Sunday morning).

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to see what you end up with. I will second the Tunze skimmer 9001 or 9004 if it will fit.
Me too @Sean Clark I've struggled to keep corals and my designer clown is territorial so I haven't gotten a new friend in the tank. Hopefully with more areas to swim, they can get along. I'm really glad I found this forum so I can get as much support and help I'm going to need. =)

Attachments

• clownfish.jpg
    clownfish.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 3s are a good choice (if you can find them, that is!) You can also look at something like the smallest Tunze Nanostream or a pair of Sicce Voyagers. While not controllable, they do work extremely well and won't "break the bank". They also work great for mixing saltwater in pails, so there's definitely a post-tank use for them if you upgrade to a Nero 3.
Thanks @blaxsun This was recommended to me - seems to have good reviews but I'm not sure if it can support it. Definitely a good price though!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is tons of great info here.

I love this clown in the front. I certainly hope that it's name is Paisley with the shape of that orange spot. ;)
1647536687254.png

CaffeinatedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Highly recommend the Nero! I’ve got the 5 on my IM 40 cube.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Im really enjoying the IM30 as a frag tank. A 2 bulb T5 with an LED light bar works great. No skimmer here, but my IM30 is fish less. I have the IM reactor and it’s okay. No issues with it, but a media bag works. No reactor required. I’m using a spare Nero 5, but any similar ph may be fine. This depends on your rock scape. A pair of smaller phs might be better.

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Im really enjoying the IM30 as a frag tank. A 2 bulb T5 with an LED light bar works great. No skimmer here, but my IM30 is fish less. I have the IM reactor and it’s okay. No issues with it, but a media bag works. No reactor required. I’m using a spare Nero 5, but any similar ph may be fine. This depends on your rock scape. A pair of smaller phs might be better.
Thanks @coralfishreef ! I would love to do a hybrid but I am initimidated of maintenance with both corals and fish. I plan on only keeping SPS (hammers, zoas and torches).

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's HERE!! ;Brb

tank delivered.jpg

Got some help to put it together and voila!

tank.jpg

I have previous rocks that I was curing and got another one at LFS. I sure hope they don't kill my tank. (I look like I'm floating!)
tank2.jpg

I've added Carribean Sea Fiji Sand
tank with sand.jpg

It got pretty late but I wanted to fill it up. I mixed my own water with Reef Salt - https://www.chewy.com/instant-ocean-reef-salt-aquariums/dp/196229?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=15783018857&utm_content=Instant Ocean&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw29CRBhCUARIsAOboZbKzDLeJ8b-KCQ_gRYasRPYli0kVK5A3brez4ETYifNSoJYWDEnnNGMaAjPAEALw_wcB

20220317_214819.jpg

I probably should have waited to fill it up because now I don't have lights and it's coming until tomorrow. Should I go get a temporary one for today?

What do you think about the aquascaping? My creative juices must not be flowing well. I thought it was okay but seems pretty MEH ;Yawn

Last edited:

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not sure what all parts you have already ordered as of now. Skip IM and tunze skimmers. Tunze skimmer is not bad, but there are better ones. It is doubtful that you will need a skimmer at all. If you need a skimmer, look into icecap k1 nano. My tank is over eight months old and still does not need a skimmer.

Heater: In my IM25 lagoon, I run 2x Eheim 50w heaters; they sit in the second chamber from the right. That’s where my dosing line and auto top off go in as well. A lot of people are going to suggest inkbird heater controller. They are terrible (people end up with calibration drift and temp swigs of 1f all the time); they were also caught sending full refunds for 5star reviews on Amazon. That thread was shut down on r2r; you can still find it if you search hard enough. Bayite temperature controller is a really good option. The IM Helio brand heater is an excellent and expensive alternative.

Powerheads: You can go as fancy as you want, but nothing will likely beat 2x Jabeo SLW20M or Jabeo MLW20 for that tank. If you do not plan on keeping SPS, you might be able to use just one.

Lights: The light you have might be ok for softies; not sure if it will grow anything else. 2x AI Prime 16HD would be the best combination for that tank.

Accessories: The media caddy’s that comes with IM tanks are not that bad; I still use them without any issues. Intank makes some good ones, and they definitely fit better. More of a nice to have rather than a must-have.

OP
OP
NanoReef_lover143

NanoReef_lover143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what all parts you have already ordered as of now. Skip IM and tunze skimmers. Tunze skimmer is not bad, but there are better ones. It is doubtful that you will need a skimmer at all. If you need a skimmer, look into icecap k1 nano. My tank is over eight months old and still does not need a skimmer.

Heater: In my IM25 lagoon, I run 2x Eheim 50w heaters; they sit in the second chamber from the right. That’s where my dosing line and auto top off go in as well. A lot of people are going to suggest inkbird heater controller. They are terrible (people end up with calibration drift and temp swigs of 1f all the time); they were also caught sending full refunds for 5star reviews on Amazon. That thread was shut down on r2r; you can still find it if you search hard enough. Bayite temperature controller is a really good option. The IM Helio brand heater is an excellent and expensive alternative.

Powerheads: You can go as fancy as you want, but nothing will likely beat 2x Jabeo SLW20M or Jabeo MLW20 for that tank. If you do not plan on keeping SPS, you might be able to use just one.

Lights: The light you have might be ok for softies; not sure if it will grow anything else. 2x AI Prime 16HD would be the best combination for that tank.

Accessories: The media caddy’s that comes with IM tanks are not that bad; I still use them without any issues. Intank makes some good ones, and they definitely fit better. More of a nice to have rather than a must-have.
Thanks! This is definitely helpful! For the media tanks - was I supposed to put both of the bags that it came with?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back