IM Nuvo upgrade?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am planning to upgrade my 29g to a larger system in the next 6 months. I started small to make sure that I had time enough to devote to the hobby and to make sure I enjoyed it. I am looking at either the IM Nuvo Int or Ext series (50 or 75). I see one has an external overflow and one is an Internal overflow. (TBH it took me a bit to get that.) Will be using the current 29 as the sump so not to worry there and hope to build my own custom stand for everything. I looked at the Red Sea 250/350 but something about the sump and stand just turns me off.
So what I am hoping to gather from everyone are the pros and cons of the internal vs external overflow system. Personally I am leaning towards external only bc the internal takes up more tank space. But really not a deal breaker. I am also leaning towards the 75g as well because bigger is truly better. Sell me on why I should get one or the other. Thanks in advance :)
PS. I intend on having a minimal bio load with only 5-6 small fish (currently have 3 in the 29) Coral will be soft and lps. I have no desire to venture into the SPS world. I am hoping this alleviates the need for any dosing component.

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always take the Ext over the Int myself. But Innovative Marines internal is slightly different than most in that it spans the entire back of the tank. This allows for surface skimming across your whole tank which is the most ideal setup and something those who have external overflows strive for by getting the largest ones possible.

I think the only real short coming with IMs internal is it's extremely tight on the back sides to take up the least amount of space inside the aquarium. This makes it very difficult to clean if needed and even though it's small, it's still aquarium space you can't use.

Personally, I'd go with the 75 EXT. More space to play, nice clean seamless back panel, a weir that while on the smaller size will still perform properly.

One thing to keep in mind with the external overflow though is the tank will sit about 4-5" off your wall (These dimensions aren't usually taken into the tank dimensions). So if you're not into that look or the extra width might push it into your room too far it might be a deal breaker.

One thing I will add is that even with LPS and softies only, eventually you will need to be dosing in some form. Now you don't need to dose anywhere near the same things as some SPS. But it's something that seems to be rather unavoidable in this hobby, though it might take some time longer for your tank to require dosing adjustments and even then it will be something like dosing 2 part or kalk. Super easy to do long term and doesn't require a crazy amount of playing with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll always take the Ext over the Int myself. But Innovative Marines internal is slightly different than most in that it spans the entire back of the tank. This allows for surface skimming across your whole tank which is the most ideal setup and something those who have external overflows strive for by getting the largest ones possible.

I think the only real short coming with IMs internal is it's extremely tight on the back sides to take up the least amount of space inside the aquarium. This makes it very difficult to clean if needed and even though it's small, it's still aquarium space you can't use.

Personally, I'd go with the 75 EXT. More space to play, nice clean seamless back panel, a weir that while on the smaller size will still perform properly.

One thing to keep in mind with the external overflow though is the tank will sit about 4-5" off your wall (These dimensions aren't usually taken into the tank dimensions). So if you're not into that look or the extra width might push it into your room too far it might be a deal breaker.

One thing I will add is that even with LPS and softies only, eventually you will need to be dosing in some form. Now you don't need to dose anywhere near the same things as some SPS. But it's something that seems to be rather unavoidable in this hobby, though it might take some time longer for your tank to require dosing adjustments and even then it will be something like dosing 2 part or kalk. Super easy to do long term and doesn't require a crazy amount of playing with.
Awesome. Thanks Josh! Behind the tank shouldn't be a problem but good thing to kkep in mind for sure! I found the overflow measurements On the IM ws Solid Glass Overflow DIMS: 15.7" x 3.5" x 5.9" so lets call it 4 extra inches deep to be safe.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never go internal if I can avoid it. I have seen the EXT 75 and 100 in person, the build quality looks very nice and the seams were spotless.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never go internal if I can avoid it. I have seen the EXT 75 and 100 in person, the build quality looks very nice and the seams were spotless.
thanks kyl. yeah i found out that the internal space the overflow takes up is 6 7/8 inches in the center at the longest point (14") and 3.5 at the short ends too much waisted space I think esp if i am going to end up putting a skimmer in the sump anyway?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external box will allow for enough surface skimming that it won't matter imo. My custom tank has an external box with the same type of glass slot cut and I've never had an issue with film on the surface.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back