I'm using Vibrant, where do I go from here......?

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it. I had some gha just start growing on my sand, I purchased a conch and added a fuge and light to middle chamber. I'm also manually removing larger clumps of algae off the sand. My rocks are still clear though. I had some algae growing on frags that were in the sand, I did a 5 minute peroxide/tank water dip and they cleared up quickly and recovered from the stress within hours.

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it. I had some gha just start growing on my sand, I purchased a conch and added a fuge and light to middle chamber. I'm also manually removing larger clumps of algae off the sand. My rocks are still clear though. I had some algae growing on frags that were in the sand, I did a 5 minute peroxide/tank water dip and they cleared up quickly and recovered from the stress within hours.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up! I watched a youtube video by reefdudes yesterday about peroxide and it included a discussion about dipping corals :).

Getting a fuge up and running in the middle chamber is the next goal after I add the DI to my RO. I'm definitely feeling more optimistic at this point......... at least for now. HAHAHA

Thank you! :)

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the chart I found. I used the lowest mix because I dipped a couple of different types of frags and just used the lowest common denominator. I didn't have much RODI and didn't want to make more.
Screenshot_20220317-221713_Chrome.jpg

jasonDeReefer88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had bubble algae, BRS videos convinced me vibrant was the best option.

dosed vibrant per instructions for about five weeks, cyano and Dino’s bloomed like mad as soon a bubble algae started to really disappear.

I freaked. Stopped vibrant, started Tim’s refresh and waste away protocol. Did frequent water changes and started dosing Live Phyto after dr Tim’s. Cyano hung on still so I hit tank w chemiclean. It worked. After chemiclean I dosed w dr Tim’s one and only to get bacteria back on feet. Now dosing Microbacter 7 weekly.

I still have bubble algae, but it’s getting better with improved husbandry and falling nitrates. I have seen a difference in tank since addition of weekly bacteria, live phyto, and reduced nitrates.

lawnmower blenny could be a cheap and safe remedy to your hair algae. I’d stop the vibrant cold turkey before a potential nuclear event.

OP
OP
rmorris_14

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had bubble algae, BRS videos convinced me vibrant was the best option.

dosed vibrant per instructions for about five weeks, cyano and Dino’s bloomed like mad as soon a bubble algae started to really disappear.

I freaked. Stopped vibrant, started Tim’s refresh and waste away protocol. Did frequent water changes and started dosing Live Phyto after dr Tim’s. Cyano hung on still so I hit tank w chemiclean. It worked. After chemiclean I dosed w dr Tim’s one and only to get bacteria back on feet. Now dosing Microbacter 7 weekly.

I still have bubble algae, but it’s getting better with improved husbandry and falling nitrates. I have seen a difference in tank since addition of weekly bacteria, live phyto, and reduced nitrates.

lawnmower blenny could be a cheap and safe remedy to your hair algae. I’d stop the vibrant cold turkey before a potential nuclear event.
Thanks! It been about 3 and half weeks since I stopped using the vibrant cold turkey. See posts above for what I did for the rocks. For the first time this past Friday I haven’t been scrubbing algae off the rocks and it felt spectacular. I have been dosing phyto daily since as well. I do have cyano where the sand touches the glass but I just stir it right before water changes. It doesn’t really get worse than that. I do think my microfauna took a huge hit after using the product for so long. And at least for me, it never even completely took care of the hair algae. The hydrogen perioxide treatment on the rocks has been way more effective so far. I have a lawnmower blenny. For me, he hasn’t been a good addition. With my fish count, he puts my bioload on the HIGH side, he eats more meat than he does algae, and he and my watchman frequently have issues with each other. I’m actually going to be taking him up to a nice LFS next weekend to be rehomed. Part of me really hopes this isn’t a mistake, but I really think my snails that are going in next week will do more work on the rocks than he does and they won’t stress out my other fish.
I have microbacter 7 and I thought about dosing that a few times but it says to stop use of skimmers and UV for 4 days after use, and I haven’t really wanted to do that just yet. I’m trying to make small adjustments at a slow pace to help determine what proves beneficial and what might not if there is a negative reaction. :)
People keep posting about how they don’t really mind that UWC lied about what is in their product because it worked for them. I can’t say the same about it “working”. I used it for like 3 months, 5 weeks of which I up the dosed twice a week and I was still battling the green hair algae. The peroxide treatment was way more effective in my case. I don’t have a huge aquascape though and I can see how someone with a massive setup, would be hesitate to attempt such a venture. Either way, I can’t support a company that lied about their product contents, regardless if it would have made the hobby easier.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back